We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
A gift from the earth - tossed project turned HARVEST Options

smoothmonkey
#1 Posted : 6/14/2017 8:47:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello fellow Nexians!

It's been a while since I've been active on here, but that means I've been busy! Busy growing and tending to many projects and ethnobotanical friends. In particular, the mushroom kingdom and I are getting to know each other on a more intimate level.

Taking the advice of many members here I quickly made the switch from cakes to grains, with oh so satisfying results Big grin

My first attempt at grains was successful until the very end, in which both of my 66qt monotubs sadly attracted a nasty trich contamination right at fruiting, due to my own ignorance... Think about where you place your monos folks!

With a solemn attitude of defeat, I sadly prepared to trash my months of hard work... So much time spent studying, preparing, and acquiring materials, all to be decimated by the green goblin... nasty fucker. I was to have no mushrooms for the summer...

Rather than try and chop out the contamination I decided to just dump it and start over, though i didn't want to let all of that substrate go to waste. Thankfully, I had a pile of finished compost in my yard that I thought maybe, just maybe, might suffice to host my fungus friends. I dug a huge hole in the compost, dumped one tub, added a compost layer, and dumped the other, covering the entire mass with a nice layer of compost. We had a couple of days of heavy snowfall, and once everything melted I covered the whole pile with 6mil clear plastic sheeting for about ten days. After that, I took the sheeting off and let mother nature do her thing for a while...

To my surprise I began seeing cracks in the compost, so I quickly covered with straw and kept evenly watered, and a few days later was blessed with many fruitbodies Smile

Start composting.
When in doubt, throw it out (into the compost).

Peace,

-SM Smile
smoothmonkey attached the following image(s):
IMG_1628.JPG (3,980kb) downloaded 160 time(s).
IMG_1631.JPG (3,259kb) downloaded 159 time(s).
IMG_1629.JPG (4,921kb) downloaded 159 time(s).
IMG_1632.JPG (3,949kb) downloaded 159 time(s).
IMG_1634.JPG (3,897kb) downloaded 159 time(s).
IMG_1635.JPG (4,095kb) downloaded 163 time(s).
असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 6/14/2017 8:58:36 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

That's compost 1, trich 0!

Your compost clearly has the right balance of micro-organisms to bring that mould into check.

Tasted them yet? Drool

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

smoothmonkey
#3 Posted : 6/14/2017 9:02:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I just ate a fresh one while I was gardening today Smile Next week I plan to journey deep!
असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 6/14/2017 9:54:39 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I'll be interested to hear how any trip goes with these quasi-feral specimens!

All in all, very, very cool outcome!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

Ulim
#5 Posted : 6/14/2017 10:34:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Shocked I need to compost my failed attempts.
Already composted some harvested brown chapignons need to look out for more fruit bodies coming.

JustAnotherHuman
#6 Posted : 6/14/2017 11:56:30 PM

You create your own reality

Nice smoothmonkey!Thumbs up
JustAnotherHuman is a fictional character. Everything said by this character should be regarded as completely fabricated.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."-Benjamin Franklin.

Felnik
#7 Posted : 6/15/2017 5:30:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thats beautiful !! I have something similar brewing at the moment I'm hoping it works out like that!!
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

downwardsfromzero
#8 Posted : 6/15/2017 8:47:15 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Ulim wrote:
Shocked I need to compost my failed attempts.

I need to make an attempt, now it seems we can't lose!

inaniel
#9 Posted : 6/15/2017 9:08:29 PM

mas alla del mar

A true gift indeed, beautiful!

null24
#10 Posted : 6/15/2017 9:58:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Sweet! Waste not, want not, they say right?
Some great baby pics.Thumbs up
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

smoothmonkey
#11 Posted : 6/17/2017 10:26:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks guys!

The patch just keeps going, I've been picking roughly an 8th (dry) a day as they mature Big grin
असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।

tseuq
#12 Posted : 6/18/2017 10:52:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

mush love... Love

tseuq
Everything's sooo peyote-ful..

TGO
#13 Posted : 6/19/2017 2:28:13 AM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Mush love, indeed! Earlier today, I inoculated some PF style jars with Fiji and Treasure Coast spores!

I'd love to try an outdoor patch someday! Good work Smoothmonkey!
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

smoothmonkey
#14 Posted : 8/11/2017 4:21:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

They are indeed potent! I had a beautifully mystical and shocking experience with 5g of these outdoor ongolitos. A trip report may emerge as it was something I've never experienced before...

Furthermore, the temperature has dropped here and it's been prime weather for mushrooms, having seen many of the local species growing profusely. My little wonder patch has sprouted up nothing new, to my dismay.. From the time of the last flush until maybe 2 weeks ago its been hot and dry, so the patch stopped doing anything as expected. The mound seeming compacted, I recently chopped it up with the shovel and added more straw and fresh compost, wet it down real good and covered up with branches. No white myc growing..I hope something comes back, there is definitely enough nutrients there and the weather has been nothing shy of perfect.

Any ideas on what could be done to help them along? Or if you have any experience growing outdoors, whats the scoop on flushes??
असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।

downwardsfromzero
#15 Posted : 8/12/2017 1:35:26 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Thanks for reporting back, looking forward to any experience report that emerges. I have some thoughts on the earth connection to the mycelial mind [pure yoghurt weaving... almost] so the fact that your grow was connected to the planet instead of fruiting in a plastic tub counts for something by my reckoning at least.

Quote:
No white myc growing.
This suggests that your 'patch' completed its life cycle at sporulation and the myc died off. I hope you took some prints!

Maybe you could inoculate your compost heap with another species?

#16 Posted : 8/12/2017 2:37:22 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

That's awesome to hear smoothmonkey. Thumbs up

There's nothing like successfully fruiting your own then eating them. Most of the time ime doing that leads to incredibly profound experiences.

smoothmonkey
#17 Posted : 8/12/2017 5:03:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No prints were taken unfortunately... my mycology projects have been on hold most of the summer so I was just excited to have a nice horde to supply my spirit for a while Very happy although i did just noc up some plates with GT and p. Mexicana jalisco. The outdoor season is coming closer to ending and i don't forsee that I'll have any grains to inoculate the patch with. But that is OK, I'm so grateful to have home grown outdoor mush. I totally agree with you zero

Quote:
so the fact that your grow was connected to the planet instead of fruiting in a plastic tub counts for something by my reckoning at least.

... next summer I will be prepared and hopefully produce a similar situation! and anyhoo, the 'dead' pile is going to be killer compost for the rest of my garden. I've never seen so many worms crawling through together!
असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।