We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Time Travelors sabotage the Hadron Collider ? Options

Dwhitty76
#1 Posted : 11/4/2009 11:28:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Two world renown physicists, are now seriously contemplating the fact that time travelers, might actually be coming back in time, to prevent the Large Hadron Collider from running.Maybey, someone in the future thinks we are getting in a little over our heads, and shouldn't be trying to play god?? who know's.....i just thought it was a funny article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2...ce/space/13lhc.html?_r=1

check out this photo of the collider......does it remind you of something?

http://www.google.com/im...mage&ved=0CCEQ9QEwBQ
" Freedom from the desire for an answer is essential to the understanding of a problem." - jiddu Krishnamurti

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

gammagore
#2 Posted : 11/4/2009 11:36:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hehe, cool article, who knows why this experiment isnt working.

But that picture of the collider, WOW.

endlessness
#3 Posted : 11/4/2009 11:47:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

haha, nice one Dwhitty, funny articule and indeed the picture does remind me of something Very happy

Morphane
#4 Posted : 11/5/2009 3:39:45 AM
DMT-Nexus member

That picture once again demonstrates the fractal nature of existence.

cellux
#5 Posted : 11/5/2009 10:52:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Flashly: that sounds like some serious fun. I would be very happy if scientists found something as baffling as this. It would expand their consciousness for sure.

cellux
#6 Posted : 11/6/2009 12:27:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Check out this Slashdot thread, some comments are hilarious:

http://science.slashdot.....pl?sid=09/11/06/0824213

TruePsychonaut
#7 Posted : 11/6/2009 10:33:22 PM

Andy

Maybe the large hadron collider doesn't need time travellers to prevent any experiments coming to fruition.

Universal secrets could be just that.Not intended for us to know.Orchestrated by a higher entity , God if you will , or some form of higher intelligence/consciousness.

Science and its proponents may believe they are on the verge of understanding the origins of the 'big bang',how and what perpetuated the beginning of all creation.

I'm not in one second trying to negate mans need for understanding from what we and everything came from.Its one of mankind's most sought after answers which we have philosophised over millenia.But,some part of me feels that our insatiable appetite to unravel the origins of existence,experimenting within the boundaries of unknown territory,may unlock a pandora's box.

T'Psych

"Love is life.All,everything that I understand,I understand only because I love."

'Coatl
#8 Posted : 11/6/2009 10:37:17 PM

Teotzlcoatl

That was an excellent post TruePsychonaut, took the words right out of my mouth.
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

Ginkgo
#9 Posted : 11/6/2009 10:38:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

We are not ready. When we are, which is soon, it will be revealed. There are great secrets in the Higgs boson particle and other elementary particles, secrets we are not ready to know. Secrets that in our current world will be exploited for dark powers. For a reference, look at the secrets in nuclear technology. That worked out fine, eh? Tell that to the over 200 000 poor individuals killed in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

There are nothing random - all randomness is intelligent. When you realize this, the world is more beautiful than ever before! The Large Hardon Collider is wonderful, truly wonderful, but it is too soon. The intelligent randomness takes care of that, until the time is here.

TruePsychonaut
#10 Posted : 11/6/2009 11:24:12 PM

Andy

Thanx Coatl Very happy

I think some things are just left alone.Science has helped us get to where we are today,but it does not hold the answers to everything and cannot propose experiments on that basis.I think the whole Hadron Collider,as impressive as it is,is a far bigger step than we should be taking.
So lets say,for instance,all the doom sayers envisioning the world being swallowed by a black hole generated by the collider.Is this possible ? in my opinion,No.But then science can be unpredictable,as can almost anything in nature.We don't have all the answers.We just theorise.
Secondly,if this experiment proves succesful,we indeed recreate the 'big bang',what next ?? Yes we are a step closer to science fiction possibly becoming science fact.But are we prepared for the intellectual aftermath.What will this do in the face of religion ? Charles Darwin's Origin of Species and evolution will have a greater impetus.

How will the worlds religious leaders react ?

T'Psych

"Love is life.All,everything that I understand,I understand only because I love."

MagikVenom
#11 Posted : 11/7/2009 1:43:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

TruePsychonaut wrote:
Thanx Coatl Very happy

I think some things are just left alone.Science has helped us get to where we are today,but it does not hold the answers to everything and cannot propose experiments on that basis.I think the whole Hadron Collider,as impressive as it is,is a far bigger step than we should be taking.
So lets say,for instance,all the doom sayers envisioning the world being swallowed by a black hole generated by the collider.Is this possible ? in my opinion,No.But then science can be unpredictable,as can almost anything in nature.We don't have all the answers.We just theorise.
Secondly,if this experiment proves succesful,we indeed recreate the 'big bang',what next ?? Yes we are a step closer to science fiction possibly becoming science fact.But are we prepared for the intellectual aftermath.What will this do in the face of religion ? Charles Darwin's Origin of Species and evolution will have a greater impetus.

Great read thanks for sharingSmile

It may indeed be time travelers. Keep in mind this is a device with miles of wires, thousands of pounds of metal, a EXTREMELY Complex and massive. IT has taken years and years of many,many men thinking together. It is perhaps the most complex machine ever built by man. I have worked managing a simple liquid helium generation and recovery system at well know US university that supplied liquid helium to cool the many experiments going on is various building these were ultra high vacuum chambers with a multitude of electro mechanical devices. They were trying to reach absolute zero. I never saw so many electronic devices fried to a CRISP in my life, pipes exploding, fires being extinguished. My little liquid helium generation and recovery system is NOTHING compared to this. If you build any complex device and expect it to work the first time you fire it up your in the wrong trade because nothing works the first time or the hundredth for that matter.

This is one mean project I would have to loved to have worked on this even if I was just bolting pipes together for a couple years!

Sure mankind is over his head with destructive technology its to late to turn back now. So I say hell no to stoping learning and progress because that wont help we have passed the point of return.

I say its time to WISE up learn more and solve these things. I dont care how many prototypes I burn up in the lab that is the normal road to discovery. Of course just my views on the matter.

If we have been created by a malevolent intelligence, alien, laughing angles, god or what have you this would explain why i never have seen any entities in many decades of journeys. Because it would be pretty ignorant to create something and let it suffer out of control and on the road to 2012Laughing

They dont want to meet me in dark alley in hyperspace cause I will tell them what I think about there irresponsibility.
If they exist they know already Laughing Maybe someday in a dark hyperspace alley I will get to speak my mind so far they wont face me. That explains everything it must be true

I borrowed this excellent quote from the Quote thread
A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe", a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest — a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.
- Albert Einstein

I have to go with Al on this one a single intelligence or organism if you will seems far more plausible hypothesis. One that thinks it is many. No one really knows and maybe never will.

ON WITH THE EXPERIMENTSmile

PEACE
MV

burnt
#12 Posted : 11/7/2009 12:06:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Time travelling into the past may be physically impossible. Also no where in those articles did they say that human beings were time travelling and sabotaging the expeirments. Look at this article more like a joke and terrible case of NY times reporting. Because it is.

Quote:

This is a terrible attitude towards science and human curiosity in general. The LHC is one of the most impressive machines ever built. Building it required long term international cooperation which is always nice. It also required advances in computer and networking technology which will wind up benefiting future computer systems technology.

The LHC should be looked at as modern humans pyramids except its not a testament to livings gods who enslaved populations but to the creativity and intelligence of free thinking human beings.

Quote:
So lets say,for instance,all the doom sayers envisioning the world being swallowed by a black hole generated by the collider.Is this possible ? in my opinion,No.

No its not possible.

Quote:
But then science can be unpredictable,as can almost anything in nature.We don't have all the answers.We just theorise.

The point of the LHC is to provide experimental evidence that will confirm or deny certain theories about the nature of our universe. Of course experiments are unpredictable thats the point. To find out what theory is correct or incorrect without experimental data you can't really say for sure.

We do get answers by doing experiments. Sometimes those experiments lead to more questions but thats a good thing I think.

Quote:

Who cares how the worlds religious leaders react? They are a bunch of deluded idiots.

I for one am completely prepared for the intellectual aftermath. Probably because I accept evolution and modern cosmology as being on the right track and religion being a joke.

I think some of you have a terrible attitude towards science and what it actually has done for mankind.

TruePsychonaut
#13 Posted : 11/7/2009 3:27:11 PM

Andy

burnt wrote:
Time travelling into the past may be physically impossible. Also no where in those articles did they say that human beings were time travelling and sabotaging the expeirments. Look at this article more like a joke and terrible case of NY times reporting. Because it is.

Quote:

This is a terrible attitude towards science and human curiosity in general. The LHC is one of the most impressive machines ever built. Building it required long term international cooperation which is always nice. It also required advances in computer and networking technology which will wind up benefiting future computer systems technology.

The LHC should be looked at as modern humans pyramids except its not a testament to livings gods who enslaved populations but to the creativity and intelligence of free thinking human beings.

Quote:
So lets say,for instance,all the doom sayers envisioning the world being swallowed by a black hole generated by the collider.Is this possible ? in my opinion,No.

No its not possible.

Quote:
But then science can be unpredictable,as can almost anything in nature.We don't have all the answers.We just theorise.

The point of the LHC is to provide experimental evidence that will confirm or deny certain theories about the nature of our universe. Of course experiments are unpredictable thats the point. To find out what theory is correct or incorrect without experimental data you can't really say for sure.

We do get answers by doing experiments. Sometimes those experiments lead to more questions but thats a good thing I think.

Quote:

Who cares how the worlds religious leaders react? They are a bunch of deluded idiots.

I for one am completely prepared for the intellectual aftermath. Probably because I accept evolution and modern cosmology as being on the right track and religion being a joke.

I think some of you have a terrible attitude towards science and what it actually has done for mankind.

I am certainly not trying to devalue what science has done for mankind,or what its allowed us to achieve.I'm not trying to say we don't get positive results from experiments,or that we shouldn't expand our understanding.I'm all for finding answers,but ANYTHING is possible.No one can say with 100% certainty that this or that is going to be the outcome.

Also on the flip side just think of what science has done in a negative way.It has single handedly created the most terrifying and destructive form of weapon of mass destruction,Robert Oppenheimer's A Bomb.You can't say in the name of science that this was any benefit to mankind other than the death of 140,000 people in Hiroshima and 80,000 in Nagasaki.Science created a weapon so insidious that no one,as yet,dare use it.

Science is a force of good , but can also be one of deadly intention.

And whether you regard religious leaders as deluded or not,you can't disregard them.Considering there are approx 2.1billion christians and 1.5billion islamics,900million hindus and 400million buddhists.Personally i'm not religious but every person has the right to their own beliefs.

Thankyou for the lively discussion Smile
T'Psych

ibeing897
#14 Posted : 11/7/2009 3:44:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

wow this is such an archtypical discussion.... TruePsychonaut, sorry man, but you're points are almost too easy to argue... you've got to understand you're pushing popular scientist's buttons here... The main thing is really the attitude you're displaying to science, you're doing this science vs. religion thing that is so prevelant today... science just is, it is not optional, it is not equivalent... this idea that anything is possible is really just a distraction, it's the same thing as saying "it's just a theory", typically speaking it's just a theory that you even exist, anything is possible goes without saying, it's not something to live your life by, it's your responsibility to find out what is possible.... and this is really the heart of the problem these days, you are totally misunderstanding what science is, science is the process of understanding things, so when you say no one with 100% certainty can be sure of the outcome, well that's not even true, but even if it was, the people with some certainty have performed science, because they studied it!... such a weird argument that is made over and over again.

Science was not to blame for the bomb, science is not a force of good, science is not a force of deadly intention.... the religion point sorry, but it's like shooting fish in a barrel at this point, all I will say is that those numbers you refer to are actually dwlinding rapidly, don't forget that.
all posts are fictional

MagikVenom
#15 Posted : 11/7/2009 7:37:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

T'Psych wrote
"And whether you regard religious leaders as deluded or not,you can't disregard them.Considering there are approx 2.1billion christians and 1.5billion islamics,900million hindus and 400million buddhists.Personally i'm not religious but every person has the right to their own beliefs."

Certainly most are becoming more moderate and most are also quite peaceful normal human beings who are products of there environment and are not responsible for there origins or up bringing. Hopefully the course will continue science has no responsibility nor does morality to entertain the dogmatic beliefs of the past other than to display there artifacts in a museum. Religious and cultural barriers are on there way out and that is human progress that I have faith in.

There are no positive or negative experiments just as there are no successful or failed experiments there are just experiments. They are not biased one way or another that is why they prove things and are the accepted standard to test reality.

But I hear you T all those crazy religious people scare me a bit as well I must admit most are nice folks but there are some WACOS but that applies to Atheists and Agnostics as well so maybe its just a human thing.

Dont worry about the Buddhist the Dali Lama likes the LHC project he has been following it for years awaiting the experimental results just like the Scientists that built it. Just to let you know quite a few Buddhists consider it to be a philosophy or investigation of there own nature so are offended being lumped in with Religions we have to stay politically correct we dont want to offend anyone.Smile

PEACE
MV

TruePsychonaut
#16 Posted : 11/7/2009 8:44:24 PM

Andy

Fiashly wrote:
And lbeing789 is right, science is not good or bad, its what human beings do with it thats good or bad. Because human beings have demonstrated an inability to refrain from using the results of science (technology) for ill, is not sufficient reason to stop pursuing it.

I stand corrected.I qouted myself wrong,i didn't mean science itself but the poeple that sometimes misuse it.

MagikVenom wrote:
Dont worry about the Buddhist the Dali Lama likes the LHC project he has been following it for years awaiting the experimental results just like the Scientists that built it. Just to let you know quite a few Buddhists consider it to be a philosophy or investigation of there own nature so are offended being lumped in with Religions we have to stay politically correct we dont want to offend anyone

I was just approximating religious numbers.I was not intending to mass group individual religions,or belief systems as having the same ethos.Just a point that religious types may not share the same sentiment with experiments akin to those at the LHC.It was not my intention to offend.

My opinions are my own and i welcome your comments.
T'Psych

MagikVenom
#17 Posted : 11/7/2009 9:11:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

TruePsychonaut
#18 Posted : 11/7/2009 9:21:05 PM

Andy

MagikVenom wrote:
I know you ment no offence just me being serious and joking at the same time againSmile

PEACE
MV

No problem my friend Cool

I don't pretend to know everything.I'm just lucky to be part of this community where you can have a good open discussion and take onboard other peoples views.

I live and learn Very happy
T'Psych

ibeing897
#19 Posted : 11/7/2009 10:36:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

oh no offense taken dude, it's all lovely, this debate is a classic though Smile
all posts are fictional

burnt
#20 Posted : 11/8/2009 10:55:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Quote:
I am certainly not trying to devalue what science has done for mankind,or what its allowed us to achieve.I'm not trying to say we don't get positive results from experiments,or that we shouldn't expand our understanding.I'm all for finding answers,but ANYTHING is possible.No one can say with 100% certainty that this or that is going to be the outcome.

Also on the flip side just think of what science has done in a negative way.It has single handedly created the most terrifying and destructive form of weapon of mass destruction,Robert Oppenheimer's A Bomb.You can't say in the name of science that this was any benefit to mankind other than the death of 140,000 people in Hiroshima and 80,000 in Nagasaki.Science created a weapon so insidious that no one,as yet,dare use it.

Science is a force of good , but can also be one of deadly intention.

And whether you regard religious leaders as deluded or not,you can't disregard them.Considering there are approx 2.1billion christians and 1.5billion islamics,900million hindus and 400million buddhists.Personally i'm not religious but every person has the right to their own beliefs.

Thankyou for the lively discussion Smile

All good I see what you mean. Humanity definitely has a tendency to misuse technology.

I think nuclear fission was a very important discovery but building weapons with it was basically insane. However it was in a way needed because at the time other governments working on similar projects would have used it in a far more violent and destructive manner. I couldn't imagine the decision making processes going on in the peoples minds who were dealing with these matters in the middle of a world war.

12NEXT