We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Final word on Incubation temp of cubes Options

explorer7
#1 Posted : 5/22/2017 3:38:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have 18 inoculated jars in my incubation chamber, and i've
been researching the ideal temperature for incubation.

I've read people suggesting to only incubate between 76-80 F.

Other say between that best temp is between 80 - 90 F.

Others say that after 82 F this will allow harmful bacteria to grow.

In your experience, what's the ideal temperature to incubate cubes?

everything i write is for the purposes of creative expression and writing a science fiction novel.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Northerner
#2 Posted : 5/22/2017 4:28:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I just put them in the cupboard at room temp. Always works just fine.

If you're comfortable in the room the myc will be comfortable too. Sure there's added chance of bacterial colonization at higher temps, but if your clean work was good that's not really an issue, it just means your jars will colonize quicker.
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

syberdelic
#3 Posted : 5/22/2017 10:25:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If your jars are infected, they are infected. Raising the temperature will make the mycelium and the mold/bacteria grow faster. If there is ANY amount of anything other than white mycelium growing, THROW IT OUT.

For incubating cubensis, the magic temperature is about 80F. 85F will make them grow slightly faster, but not by much (diminished returns). At 90F, they grow slower and tend to be more fluffy and don't grow the rhizome like tendrils that I associate with healthy mycelium. On the low end, anything under 70F will be very slow. If you can't keep it at least 65, don't bother.

For fruiting, a constant temperature in the low 70s is good. Too warm and you get a lot of energy going into mycelial fuzz. Too cold and you get lots of pins, but slow growth and tiny caps. This is if you are using perlite as your humidity source. When using a less aggressive humidity source such as manual misting, you can up the temperature to about 80. I prefer the more hands off approach of perlite, so compensate by lowering the temperature. 80F with perlite causes the humidity to get to 98-99%. Ideal is around 92%. This excess humidity causes the edges of the fungi to think it's still in media and it wastes energy making fuzz, seeking out new fuel.

This all assumes PF tek without casing and cocoa coir casing. I haven't experimented a lot with other methods.