We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Growing salvia from seed Options

MasonJarBong
#1 Posted : 5/16/2017 4:05:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have finally managed to obtain some seeds and will be planting soon. If anyone here has grown salvia from seed, your advice, tips, and cautionary tales are certainly appreciated. I have researched extensively and learned a great deal but almost all of the available information I have found involves growing from established cuttings. I have learned much about cultivating established plants, but little about cultivating from seed.

Thanks!
Nothing is no thing at all.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Spaced Out 2
#2 Posted : 5/16/2017 7:18:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

With mine all I did was use some happy frog soil in some pots, surface sow the seed, doesn't need to be exposed but just under the surface. Placed them in a humidity dome and waited to see what happened. 4 out of 4 popped up in a months time but only 3 made it to adulthood.

I keep mine in a little greenhouse so that I can control the humidity because my house stays way to dry and they are very sensitive to it, at least mine are. I maintain RH 50-65% and temp 70-75°F. they seem to thrive in these conditions. I only water with collected rain water when they show signs of needing a drink.

Once you get the seed to sprout, just baby it and once it gets established it should be taken care of just like what you read about. Good luck and I hope you are successful!

MasonJarBong
#3 Posted : 5/17/2017 11:54:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Great info. Thank you.

One last question. How did you handle watering the seeds before they germinated? Did you mist the soil surface only?

Spaced Out 2
#4 Posted : 5/17/2017 10:22:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

MasonJarBong wrote:
Great info. Thank you.

One last question. How did you handle watering the seeds before they germinated? Did you mist the soil surface only?

I made sure the soil was good and saturated before hand of course, my dome has vents on it which I left one open so it could breathe and not get moldy. Yes I very carefully misted around the sides of the pot so to not expose or disturb the seed, I meant literally just under the surface covered by a flake of bark that was in the soil, lol. Within a week one sprouted, and from there it was one a week. I kept a small cool white coil light just above the dome the whole time.

MasonJarBong
#5 Posted : 5/18/2017 5:15:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That's exactly what I was looking for, SO! I'd envisioned something along those lines but it's nice to get input from someone who has actually done this and met with success.

Many thanks dude! May your next trip be awesomely profound!

Spaced Out 2
#6 Posted : 5/18/2017 8:01:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Glad to help friend! I wish you success in developing a close relationship with the shepherdessThumbs up

Do keep us updated!

Peace

MasonJarBong
#7 Posted : 6/16/2017 3:12:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Will be posting an update soon but will make another thread. Sowed several seeds about 6 days ago and the first one emerged today. LET THERE BE LIFE! Big grin

(Pic taken with a potato then massively cropped. Nonetheless, baby pic!)
MasonJarBong attached the following image(s):
seedling-crop.jpg (124kb) downloaded 101 time(s).

sapphire
#8 Posted : 6/16/2017 6:31:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Congratulations, that looks wonderful! I also have a sprout of a similar age.. maybe we can compare notes. Best of luck!

MasonJarBong
#9 Posted : 6/16/2017 7:19:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

sapphire wrote:
Congratulations, that looks wonderful! I also have a sprout of a similar age.. maybe we can compare notes. Best of luck!

Thank you, sapphire! Congratulations to you as well. And I would definitely be up for comparing notes! Sounds great.

I will also be putting a new thread up in this folder (hopefully tomorrow) and intend to use it as a quasi-grow journal.

Aum_Shanti
#10 Posted : 6/16/2017 12:02:04 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Congrats!

How long did it take to sprout?

Where did you get your seeds from?
I claim not that this is the truth. As this is just what got manifested into my mind at the current position in time on this physical plane. So please feel not offended by anything I say.

MasonJarBong
#11 Posted : 6/16/2017 1:36:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Aum_Shanti wrote:
Congrats!

How long did it take to sprout?

Where did you get your seeds from?

Thank you!
I obtained them via Siebert, but I think he is out of stock for now.

This first seed took 6 days to sprout.

Aum_Shanti
#12 Posted : 6/16/2017 1:45:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

So they sprout rather quickly it seems.

A pity that he's again out of stock. That would be something still lacking in my collection and plants are not available anymore.
I'm really wondering how his seed source manages to even get a proper amount of viable seeds.
You read on and on on the net that this is next to impossible...
I claim not that this is the truth. As this is just what got manifested into my mind at the current position in time on this physical plane. So please feel not offended by anything I say.

MasonJarBong
#13 Posted : 6/16/2017 2:42:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Aum_Shanti wrote:
So they sprout rather quickly it seems.

In some cases. I think SpacedOut2 had one seed take either 4 or 6 weeks to sprout, so it varies.

Aum_Shanti wrote:

A pity that he's again out of stock. That would be something still lacking in my collection and plants are not available anymore.
I'm really wondering how his seed source manages to even get a proper amount of viable seeds.
You read on and on on the net that this is next to impossible...

It is my understanding that the seed source was able to produce quite a few seeds last season, but was completely unsuccessful (or nearly so) this season.

Spaced Out 2
#14 Posted : 6/16/2017 8:40:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That's awesome, congratulations MJB!

You are correct that they all don't germinate at the same time. At the time I was just happy I even got one to sprout, I can clone all I would ever need from one.

Keep us updated as they grow, love seeing new life from seed! As time goes I will be trying to produce my own seed!

MasonJarBong
#15 Posted : 6/16/2017 11:07:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Noticed a second sprout this morning, much smaller than the first. Unfortunately she appears to be growing sideways, parallel to the soil's surface. I am hoping she rights herself and seeks the light soon or she likely won't make it. She is so tiny and fragile I don't dare try and support her at this stage. The only measure I took was to very carefully dislodge a bit of soil directly in contact with her first leaf (in the hopes of preventing any rot issues), using the head of a pin. The rest will be up to her.

Like you I would be ecstatic for even a single plant to survive long enough to take clones. I can work from there, no problem. I sowed a total of four seeds, so at day 7 I have already achieved a 50% germination rate. I will hold the remainder of my seed in reserve for the time being while watching these two grow (hopefully), and waiting for the remaining two to germinate (also hopefully).

I am still planning to hatch a clean thread here to document my grow, but I've spent most of today outside battling some flea beetles which have been ravaging my tomato plants, trapping moles ravaging my lawn, and bringing the pain down on some cutworms trying to own my basils. They don't realize who they are dealing with here! Laughing

As for producing seed, I will be watching your efforts closely. I think you have the knowledge and creativity to make it happen. Producing salvia seed is another dream of mine, but I gotta walk before I run!

Thanks as always, bro! Thumbs up