We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Is this Phragmites Australis Options

revolutionishere
#1 Posted : 5/13/2017 4:09:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is my first post so I am sorry if I post it in the wrong place. Anyhow I need help to identify if the plant i found is Phragmites Australis (common reed) because i read that it contains dmt in its roots, and the plant i found looks a lot like the pictures of Phragmites Australis I sow.If someone could help me identify what this plant is,and if it is Phragmites Australis i would be very gratefull if you could send me a link to the best tech for extracting dmt from it.These are the pictures that i took (i'm sorry if you can't see the picture or if it's blurry)
First four pictures are the reed on the lake where i found it, other five pictures are samples of reed i took for my herbarium (again sorry if the pictures are bad or if there aren't there at all, this is my first time posting after all Embarrased ) anyway i'll be waiting for responce. Thanks in advance Laughing
revolutionishere attached the following image(s):
DSC_0047.JPG (3,606kb) downloaded 181 time(s).
DSC_0048.JPG (3,049kb) downloaded 181 time(s).
DSC_0049.JPG (2,347kb) downloaded 180 time(s).
DSC_0050.JPG (2,137kb) downloaded 180 time(s).
DSC_0055.JPG (1,889kb) downloaded 181 time(s).
DSC_0057.JPG (1,545kb) downloaded 179 time(s).
DSC_0059.JPG (1,522kb) downloaded 179 time(s).
DSC_0061.JPG (1,401kb) downloaded 180 time(s).
DSC_0062.JPG (1,664kb) downloaded 180 time(s).

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

dreamer042
#2 Posted : 5/13/2017 4:41:51 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

Yes that does appear to be Phragmites australis.

When you head out with your shovel, you'll find likely find those rhizomes are INCREDIBLY difficult to dig up.

Other than a couple tests and a handful of reports from the early 90's there isn't a lot of info on this one. It's worth investigating as a novelty or strictly as a research specimen, but considering the low alkaloid content of most grasses, the highly variable alkaloid profile, and the possible presence of unwanted alkaloids, this is not really a suitable plant if you are looking to extract pure N,N-Dimethyltryptamine.

If research is your goal, extract using any of the teks on the forum and analyze the results with a TLC kit or send them off to Energy Control for proper analysis. If DMT is your goal, pass on the grass and start looking into the acacias.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

revolutionishere
#3 Posted : 5/13/2017 5:03:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'll research Phragmites Australis for now. You said that i can use any of the teks, so i wanted to ask if i for example,found Marsfold tek where they've used, lets say,one pound of Mimosa hostilis , and i want to use something else do i change the quantity or does the quantity stays the same?

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 5/16/2017 11:13:30 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

If you want a decent chance of getting a reasonable amount of root material without breaking your back, you'll need a boat. The submerged rhizome in fairly deep water won't need digging up.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

revolutionishere
#5 Posted : 5/19/2017 9:33:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for the help Smile .I don't want somebody to think that I'm ungrateful or that I'm trying to bore you with the questions it's just that I'm not so experienced but before I start researching with Phragmites Australis I need somebody who has experience from this site to answer couple questions I have:
1.You said that i can use any of the teks, so i wanted to ask if i for example,found Marsfold tek where they've used, lets say,one pound of Mimosa hostilis , and i want to use something else do i change the quantity or does the quantity stays the same?
2.Does the Phragmites Australis has particular time of the year when it should be harvested because in that time of year it has more dmt ?
3.Does the Phragmites Australis has particular stage of growth when it should be harvested because in that stage og growth it has more dmt ?
4.Can you send me a link to the tests and (alkaloid) analysis that have been done on Phragmites Australis ?
Thanks to everybody who goes out of their way to help me Very happy Very happy Very happy
(sorry if my english is bad Embarrased )

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 5/22/2017 1:04:42 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

AFAIK, most of those question are answered with a 'don't know'. Any research you do will be adding to the field of human knowledge. I'm sure a decent internet search will guide you to the appropriate references (try Erowid, too?) I'll have a dig around too, as I'm sure I've got the info around here somewhere.

There's also a pdf of someone's alleged successful extraction from P. aus rhizomes, as attached.

FWIW, Chinese pharmacies sell dried P. australis rhizome.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

dreamer042
#7 Posted : 5/22/2017 4:52:04 PM

Dreamoar

Working off the information in that old pdf, I did an extraction on the "Lu Gen" (Phragmites communis) rhizomes available as traditional Chinese medicine and analyzed with TLC. I extracted with acetone and tested that extract as well as following up with moar traditional methods using non-polar solvents and ethanol as well. No tryptamines were present in any of the samples. One analysis on a single batch does not a truth make, but it's probably not a good idea to get your hopes up for commercial Phragmites rhizome as a DMT source.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

downwardsfromzero
#8 Posted : 5/22/2017 5:14:36 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Yes, it strikes me that if it were any good, people would be all over it already.

Lu gen tincture is quite nice, it's a good way of making vodka taste like whisky but as you say, there seems to be little evidence of tryptamine alkaloids in this material.

Some say it's worth collecting the flowers, though. But that's purely anecdotal.

revolutionishere
#9 Posted : 7/7/2017 7:14:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you all for your replies.If anybody else has any other information that can help me in my research feel free to post it Very happy
As soon as have the time I'll try the extraction and post my resolts here

revolutionishere
#10 Posted : 9/23/2017 2:14:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi again everybody Smile Smile Smile

revolutionishere
#11 Posted : 9/23/2017 2:15:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sorry that i haven't posted anything in a while, i was researching P.australis extraction topic.I think I found the cheapest and easiest way to do that (which is great for me, especially for the "cheapest" part :grinSmile but I want your opinion.I got the idea from "AYAHUASCA ANALOGUES AND PLANT-BASED TRYPTAMINES The Best of The Entheogen Review 1992–1999 SECOND EDITION"( here is the link: https://erowid.org/libra...es_dekorne_complete.pdf ) - the part about P.australis is from 145-150 page (the 149 and 150 are the pages where i found P.australis ayahuasca analogue recept, so i actually don't have to exract dmt).And its easy just mix P.australis root and Peganum harmala seeds (i am sure that you guys already knew this Embarrased )
So with this ( see the picture below ) i am half way there Very happy

revolutionishere attached the following image(s):
sketch-1506127116627.png (441kb) downloaded 96 time(s).

revolutionishere
#12 Posted : 9/23/2017 2:24:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

so what do you guys think about this method ?
i am really intrested in what is your opinion about this
Laughing Very happy

downwardsfromzero
#13 Posted : 9/26/2017 1:48:50 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I'm not convinced that P. australis root will work. You'd do well to do a TLC analysis on it first as it may well contain unwanted alkaloids such as gramine and bufotenine which would be potentially unpleasant-to-dangerous in a brew.

That said, it looks like you've got some fresh Phragmites root there - was it collected from deep water? I have seen one suggestion that this would be more likely to be successful. Bear in mind that season and even time of day could well have an effect in these matters.

Whatever, I would strongly advise extracting and analysing rather than just going ahead with a brew made with a plant of unknown potency and constitution. Starting out with a rue-only brew would also be prudent if you are not familiar with the effects of harmala alkaloids.

dreamer042
#14 Posted : 9/26/2017 3:21:52 AM

Dreamoar

Looks like commercial lu-gen.

My own TLC analysis found no DMT present in the extracts from the batch I tested. Perhaps yours may have a different profile, but I wouldn't hedge my bets on it.

The nice thing is that lu-gen does a long history of human use (at moderate doses of a few grams) so we can assume a reasonable safety profile when used alone at low to moderate doses.

However, we don't have a lot information on high doses or contraindications with harmalas. So be extremely careful if you choose to explore this area. I'll echo yet again the smart monkey move is to have the alkaloid profile accurately analyzed because it's very likely there is no DMT present and just combining plants of unknown phytochemical makeup with MAO inhibitors is quite a foolhardy move.

While legitimate careful research is appreciated, if you just want a "huasca" or DMT experience there are many other much moar reliable tryptamine sources available from mushrooms to tree leaves and barks to grasses of known alkaloid profile.

Be safe now