We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Rue propagation tropics Options

Norsern_vind
#1 Posted : 5/10/2017 10:47:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I was successfully able to broadcast germinate, but they all died eventually; likely due to excess rains and weeds.

Any fellow travelers been able to successfully propagate/germinate in tropical climates?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Sakkadelic
#2 Posted : 5/10/2017 11:59:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Norsern_vind wrote:
I was successfully able to broadcast germinate, but they all died eventually; likely due to excess rains and weeds.

Any fellow travelers been able to successfully propagate/germinate in tropical climates?

No just in tropical climates, rue is like that i think, i tried growing it a lot sprouted then they fell over, very few survived and were starting to grow more leaves but i neglected them for a week and they dried and died.. i planted some a few days ago let's see how they do
"Is this the end of our adventure? Nothing has an end. We came in search of the secret of immortality, to be like gods, and here we are... mortals, more human than ever. If we have not obtained immortality, at least we have obtained reality. We began in a fairytale and we came to life! But is this life reality? We are images, dreams, photographs. We must not stay here! Prisoners! We shall break the illusion. This is Maya. Goodbye to the holy mountain. Real life awaits us." ~ Alejandro Jodorowsky

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 5/10/2017 10:28:43 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Same experience here. It looked promising and then they just died. Mine were indoors in pots. It's so hard to know how much to water them, given the habitat of the mature plant. Perhaps soil type is a key factor?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Sakkadelic
#4 Posted : 5/10/2017 11:15:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I read they grow best in sandy alkaline soil, and you can water them like any other plant i guess but gently so they don't fall.. i was moving them betweem inside and outside and i noticed they really love the sun, they grew best under direct sunlight
"Is this the end of our adventure? Nothing has an end. We came in search of the secret of immortality, to be like gods, and here we are... mortals, more human than ever. If we have not obtained immortality, at least we have obtained reality. We began in a fairytale and we came to life! But is this life reality? We are images, dreams, photographs. We must not stay here! Prisoners! We shall break the illusion. This is Maya. Goodbye to the holy mountain. Real life awaits us." ~ Alejandro Jodorowsky

DansMaTete
#5 Posted : 5/10/2017 11:19:04 PM

[insert something smart/deep here]

Yeah they're quite fragil when they're young but you just need to throw a bunch of seeds and keep the survivors.
On the other hand they are like phoenix once they are established, they seems to die, become brown and dry but each time (in my case) they sprout back from the stem. In fact the tap root stocks nutriments and water (and harmalas) when (my guess !) in difficult time and grow back when conditions are better.

The bad thing in my experience (2 years old specimens) is that they never flower (so no seeds). I suppose it's because i'm under the tropics and they never have cold saison or cold night as in their original habitat to trigger flowering (i could be wrong).

« I love the smell of boiling MHRB in the morning »

Sore
#6 Posted : 5/12/2017 4:03:19 AM

Sooth seeker

Is it true when taking a cutting in hopes of planting there is less chance of them flowering?

I have about 250 seeds but am super impatient and would like to speed up the process if possible also intended to use the seeds for a brew Rolling eyes
Full disclosure: This account is a form of Role-playing any and all said is for the sake of entertainment value.

Norsern_vind
#7 Posted : 5/14/2017 1:09:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DansMaTete wrote:
Yeah they're quite fragil when they're young but you just need to throw a bunch of seeds and keep the survivors.
On the other hand they are like phoenix once they are established, they seems to die, become brown and dry but each time (in my case) they sprout back from the stem. In fact the tap root stocks nutriments and water (and harmalas) when (my guess !) in difficult time and grow back when conditions are better.

The bad thing in my experience (2 years old specimens) is that they never flower (so no seeds). I suppose it's because i'm under the tropics and they never have cold saison or cold night as in their original habitat to trigger flowering (i could be wrong).

Do you fert? Try using a quality hydro solution with a complete mineral profile.

Sometimes, having quality nutrients allows plants to overcome certain restrictions. I've experimented with several different species that are not normally found in a teopical climate, and the results were quite amazing.

exquisitus
#8 Posted : 5/22/2017 5:04:05 AM
DMT-Nexus member

anyone willing to try avicenna's method on their rue? the guy single handedly invented modern medicine, perhaps there is something to the legend....

Asher7
#9 Posted : 5/22/2017 7:08:33 AM

Professional Tracker

Weird. I had some seeds laying around so decided to toss some in the dirt. I have zero idea what Im doing here. So they're tough to grow huh?

downwardsfromzero
#10 Posted : 5/22/2017 9:23:12 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

avicenna's method?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

exquisitus
#11 Posted : 5/23/2017 12:15:20 AM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:

i've seen the following attributed to avicenna in multiple russian writings many many moons ago, did not bother to research to what degree that'd be plausible. what i was referring to ->
Quote:
Смола: куст гармалы в начале произрастания накрывают старым (с трещинами или дырами) котлом, чтобы поступал воздух. Растение продолжает расти, и в течение нескольких недель на внутренних стенках котла образуется слой липкого смолообразного вещества, которое соскабливают ножом. Эта смола считается самым эффективным средством от всех недугов.

котлом, котла -> pot, usually it's referred to as clay pot, but also as iron pot, so perhaps any pot will do.

another variation (they are countless, even after cut&pastes are filtered
Quote:
«Куст могильника весной закрывают старым, побитым с трещинами и дырками, казаном, чтобы поступал воздух. Могильник растет и в течение нескольких недель из его выделений на стенках казана образуется слой липкого смолообразного вещества, которое соскабливают ножом. Это „вещество“ считается самым эффективным лекарством, которое лечит от всех недугов. Конечно, трудно себе представить такое лекарство от всех болезней, но и здесь может быть зерно мудрости. Могильник обладает огромной жизненной силой, он растет на таких местах, где подчас другое растение существовать не может, и вот этот великолепный жизненный дух растения осаждается на стенках казана. Болезни часто происходят от слабости, потери жизненных сил, а такое вещество может вдохнуть в человека новую жизнь, научить его, как стоять под палящим зноем, и опрокидывающим ветром в нашей жизни. Это чудесная субстанция и способ ее получения, вероятно, придуман средневековыми арабскими алхимиками».

Могильник -> rue, literally "on graves", because supposedly grows in abundance in graveyards, anybody verified that?
казаном, казана -> pot, cauldron.

btw in the russian language space many people are growing rue and quite successfully at that. just a quick search using google translate turned up the following (among many many other hits).

i am a "black fingers" myself, as opposed to "green fingers" Sad
and a pretty skilled one at that, so i have not tried growing rue.

Asher7
#12 Posted : 5/24/2017 3:02:44 AM

Professional Tracker

First signs of life Cool I'm not really sure what to do now.
Asher7 attached the following image(s):
0523171822e.jpg (1,169kb) downloaded 67 time(s).
0523171822b.jpg (1,172kb) downloaded 67 time(s).

Norsern_vind
#13 Posted : 5/24/2017 9:05:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Asher7 wrote:
Weird. I had some seeds laying around so decided to toss some in the dirt. I have zero idea what Im doing here. So they're tough to grow huh?

Not necessarily hard to germinate, but very low germination rate in most cases, and picky with regards to care.

I recently dropped about 2oz of seed into starter cups, and only about 10% or less have germinated thus far.

If you're having problems with germination, try using a bit of seed, broadcasted over the soil surface. Water from the top only, enough to saturate the upper layer of growing medium. Ensure it is in direct sunlight and extremely warm, if not hot. Within a few days, they should germinate.

Asher7
#14 Posted : 5/24/2017 11:37:15 AM

Professional Tracker

The germination rate turned out pretty good. Are you sure you want these guys in direct sunlight with high temps? I had no idea they would start out this small, I would think high heat and direct sunlight would fry them until they got pretty well established.

I just germinated them on my kitchen counter and roughly three days later all but two have popped up. I would think ideally a shop "clamp lamp" with a flourescent in it would be of great benefit but unfortunatly I don't have one anymore. Luckily it's been raining so it's overcast and I've had them on a window sill. So far so good, but it's still way too early in the game for any kind of certainty. I think I used the wrong kind of soil too, I used my leftover cacti mix. We'll see.

Norsern_vind
#15 Posted : 5/31/2017 12:11:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Asher7 wrote:
The germination rate turned out pretty good. Are you sure you want these guys in direct sunlight with high temps? I had no idea they would start out this small, I would think high heat and direct sunlight would fry them until they got pretty well established.

I just germinated them on my kitchen counter and roughly three days later all but two have popped up. I would think ideally a shop "clamp lamp" with a flourescent in it would be of great benefit but unfortunatly I don't have one anymore. Luckily it's been raining so it's overcast and I've had them on a window sill. So far so good, but it's still way too early in the game for any kind of certainty. I think I used the wrong kind of soil too, I used my leftover cacti mix. We'll see.

I'm not sure if its because of the both relative humidity, but broadcasting in direct susun always seems to work best for me and has a high germination rate.

I do know that, for me, any shade has been detrimental, as well as any heavy rains.

Asher7
#16 Posted : 5/31/2017 3:21:09 PM

Professional Tracker

Do you have any pics of your rue seedlings? I'm not sure what I'm growing over here is even rue.

Norsern_vind
#17 Posted : 6/2/2017 12:35:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Asher7 wrote:
Do you have any pics of your rue seedlings? I'm not sure what I'm growing over here is even rue.

Norsern_vind attached the following image(s):
20170602_013747.jpg (3,975kb) downloaded 29 time(s).

Asher7
#18 Posted : 6/3/2017 12:19:00 AM

Professional Tracker

Yeah see that looks like what should be growing, this is what I'm coming up with.

A pic of the seeds too, the seeds look right unless they're some subspecies or something. I really don't know.
Asher7 attached the following image(s):
1496445529657.jpg (1,414kb) downloaded 21 time(s).
1496445639285.jpg (1,171kb) downloaded 18 time(s).

Sakkadelic
#19 Posted : 6/3/2017 1:03:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yours are definitely syrian rue Asher7 but yeah they look a bit different, quite long, it's amazing that they are not falling of.. did you get them from inside USA? cz rue was introduced to USA in 1928 so maybe that's how it is there..