We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
First Go at growing Shroomies Options

jma182
#1 Posted : 4/6/2017 4:05:28 AM

Better than a thousand useless words is one useful word, hearing which one attains peace.

Hello Nexians hope everyone is doing wellBig grin ,

As i started delving with psychedelics last nov, shrooms have always interested me so i got all my stuff and im giving my first grow a try! I got some crazy DMT experiences i wanna share in another chance, like the time a jester broke trough and was chillin in my room for 10 mins or so, best OEV so far.

Anyways back to the business at hand, I got some spores from hyperspace, and will be making corumba cubensis or mazapatec cubensis, what do you all think about these strains? i wanna get some Thais if im successful, i got some Psilocybe azurecens and cyanesens for later experimantation, when im actually good hahaha.

Imma go With some teks i found DOC WBS TEK SHROOMERY cause Bird Seed is the one of the only 2 viable substrates i was able to get.

Soo i wasnt able to get WBS so i got the closest i could find Canary bird seed mix ( Canary grass, Red & White Millet, Hemp, oat) i washed it and im currently soaking it. got 12 mason jars 16oz, dunno if my PC reaches 15 psi so it will be hit and miss im guessing.

also imma make 3 with brown rice since i wasnt able to get enough bird seed and imma use Violet's Grain Prep Tek SHROOMERY

i got 2 fruiting chambers so i will try to do bulk substrate in one and casing in the other depending on how many jars are viable.

Already got a Still air box Prepped, syringes, and cleaning supplies.

So i hope that at the very least i get some good jars

I do got some questions i would greatly appreciate your input Stop

For the bulk substrate i cant get verm or any substitute and blocks of coco coir were not found in hyperspace, closest i could find was a hydroponics substrate 52.5% coco coir 25% rice husk charcoal 22.5 pumice stone) got around 3 kilos (~6pounds), i also got compost 3kilos (~6pounds) (it has N P K Ca Mg Fe with traces of Cu Zn Mn) , coco fiber 2kilos (~4p)

and i also got another pre prepped substrate 7kilos (~15pounds) that i might be able to use it has Coco fiber, white & black peat, composted plant material, organic material and perlite, it also has some sort of root activator so i dunno if that will impact the mycelium negatively or positively.

i was thinking on making a blend of em all, in your experience what do you think would work best??

well i will inoculate tomorrow night hope i can start posting some pics soon!

Thanks for reading!
“Whoever, at any time, has undertaken to build a new heaven has found the strength for it in his own hell.”
– Friedrich Nietzsche

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

OfTheVoid46
#2 Posted : 4/6/2017 12:56:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DOC WBS TEK works good. It's what I started with. I still basically use it except a little modified.

One thing about mushrooms - follow the guides, be CLEAN... It's really about that simple. Cleanliness is key.

Mushrooms are awesome like DMT. After some DMT experiences I found mushrooms taking me to the same places. Almost like Ayahuasca but not quite. More like a prolonged vaporized DMT experience that was slightly toned down. I don't get the "guide" like I do with Ayahuasca but otherwise I feel comfortable comparing them all/calling them very similar.

I've never tried the strains you mentioned. Most Cube strains look the same. I've grown about 1/2 dozen different cube "strains" and I couldn't tell you the difference between any of them. Honestly I think a lot are the same thing found in different areas and just named after where they're found rather than being something truly different.

WBS works great. What you're mentioning would work fine too I believe. I'm not positive how the hemp works out but if you pressure cook it/sterilize it all well enough, it shouldn't make a difference. I've always figured the millets to be the most important part.

What kind of PC do you have? It's not uncommon for a lot to come with a 15psi weight. If you could share some details I might be able to help you there.

Some folks get away with as low as 10 PSI but you'd have to cook longer and it's not ideal.

SAB = good call, always.

Regarding the substrate if this is your first time I'd suggest a simple Coir/Verm mix. Google "Damion5050 coir tek".

Regarding your current bulk substrate... You might want to do more searching. You can buy pure coir online easily and even at some local pet or gardening places. Vermiculite is easily found at many hardware/gardening stores.

A substrate with rich husk, charcoal and pumice stone sounds far from ideal. The reason coir works without true pasteurization is because mycelium can usually colonize it before any bacteria, bad fungi or alike. If you start talking about pumice stone and other things that could potentially be holding bacteria or spores in them from nature, it may take a little more than say, the Damion tek calls for regarding "cooking".

If all you have is that substrate and something else is not an option (I've been there) then I'd really suggest trying to pull out as much coir as possible and using mostly just that.

Honestly though I'm just going off of the general consensus. That mix may be just fine really. I don't mean to scare monger. Maybe you should ask about that substrate on another forum. A quick google for "Shroom Forum" and you'll find one of the top sites for that sort of thing. I love the dmt-nexus but for shrooms there are places with more information and people with more knowledge than me.

How did you plan on preparing your bulk sub?

Anyway, I started with bulk myself. It's cool to watch it go through the cycle. Once you have a tub of a bunch of them popping up it's pretty neat.

I'm just waking up so I might have bounced around a little bit if I did don't mind me.

Good luck! It sounds like you're going about it the right way and making sure you're prepared/clean which is great. The only thing I'd check into is if your bulk sub might need prepared a little different than pure coir to make sure the extra ingredients are clean enough.

I'm not the biggest pro but I'm also not a "noob". I'm smack dab in the middle. If you have any questions feel free to ask away.

syberdelic
#3 Posted : 4/6/2017 6:57:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you've never grown before, I'd recommend the PF tek.
It's about the most fool proof method available. You won't get as high of yields as WBS or casing with coir, but it's a great place to learn before taking the higher risks of contamination. I've been growing on and off for about 20 years and I always come back to PF. The first time I tried WBS I was almost pulling my hair out with frustration. I've learned how to pull it off, but for as much effort as is required, it's just not worth it. The combination of brown rice flour and vermiculite is nearly unbeatable unless you have an actual mycological laboratory. My current go to method is still the PF tek, but when I birth the jars, I will case them in a minimal amount of coir.

And as was stated above, CLEAN! Clean everything, clean it again, then wipe it down with bleach. After everything is clean, turn off anything that moves air. Empty a whole bottle of Lysol or equivalent into your workspace before doing any sterile work.
After innoculation watch for anything other than pure white mycelium growing. If you see anything, throw out the whole cake. I have had horrible food poisoning from "salvaged" cakes before so don't repeat my mistake.

jma182
#4 Posted : 4/6/2017 7:01:06 PM

Better than a thousand useless words is one useful word, hearing which one attains peace.

Thanks for the replies!!

Man thats great longer visits to hyperspace sounds like fun!! i smoked some DMT while peaking on acid and now i get some DMT flavors from LSD hahaha. i've heard that a cube is a cube regardless of where it was picked, but still i would like to get some Thais and later some Mexicana strains to make sclerotia

The PC i got is Monix 4905, but i will have to buy my own since i loaned this one, i was thinking about a Express presto 21l, the one i have atm im guessing it doesn't even hit 11 psi, not the worst but not the best either.

yeah its been a nightmare to get the substrate materials, might have to buy verm online and get pounded with taxes assuming it makes it past customs, coir i can get but i would have to travel quite far for it, assuming they have any, cause last time they only had coco fiber for sale. since i dont live in the states its hard to find verm or perlite, closest i could find was the substrate i posted, i was gonna mix em and put em in the PC afterwards if this is really not that viable i think i might have to go with straw and dry up hpoo.

it takes more work but im guessing it will work fine and wont stink up my apartment too much hahaha.

i wanted to make some trays and put em in a fruiting chamber, but if hpoo is better might have to do a mono tub using paul stamets pasteurization for the straw and https://www.dmt-nexus.me....aspx?g=posts&t=7891 for the hpoo, this is really a fun endeavor to undertake hopefully later on the experiment i can make some azurecens and get on that spaceship!
“Whoever, at any time, has undertaken to build a new heaven has found the strength for it in his own hell.”
– Friedrich Nietzsche

jma182
#5 Posted : 4/6/2017 7:10:55 PM

syberdelic wrote:
If you've never grown before, I'd recommend the PF tek.
It's about the most fool proof method available. You won't get as high of yields as WBS or casing with coir, but it's a great place to learn before taking the higher risks of contamination. I've been growing on and off for about 20 years and I always come back to PF. The first time I tried WBS I was almost pulling my hair out with frustration. I've learned how to pull it off, but for as much effort as is required, it's just not worth it. The combination of brown rice flour and vermiculite is nearly unbeatable unless you have an actual mycological laboratory. My current go to method is still the PF tek, but when I birth the jars, I will case them in a minimal amount of coir.

And as was stated above, CLEAN! Clean everything, clean it again, then wipe it down with bleach. After everything is clean, turn off anything that moves air. Empty a whole bottle of Lysol or equivalent into your workspace before doing any sterile work.
After innoculation watch for anything other than pure white mycelium growing. If you see anything, throw out the whole cake. I have had horrible food poisoning from "salvaged" cakes before so don't repeat my mistake.

I was initially gonna do cakes the problem is that no wide mouth mason jars were for sale in the only distributor that carries them were i live. sooo i had to make the jump to grains like a bossCool, i will buy some verm online at a later time here's hoping that it makes it trough customs it will run me close to 50 bucks for a 2p bag, as a noob grower i know im walking up hill with a rock on my back attempting more adv techniques but at least i wanna try and see how it goes hahaha.

thanks for the tips i will be very clean in my work area.
– Friedrich Nietzsche

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 4/6/2017 7:37:29 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

jma182 wrote:
i got some Psilocybe azurecens and cyanesens for later experimantation, when im actually good hahaha.

I'm guessing you're meaning Psilocybe cyanescens rather than Panaeolus (Copelandia) cyanescens? Psil. azurescens and cyanescens are woodlovers and this requires a very different approach from that used for the cubensis.

So you'll be starting from spores for these woodlovers? You might want to start now using malt extract and small pieces of cardboard as described in "The Magic Mushroom Grower's Guide" by L.G. Nicholas and Kerry Ogame. Getting spores going that way can be tricky. I've always been lucky and just had mycelium to start with. Otherwise you're looking at agar work which requires really good sterile technique.

Woodlovers are a long-term project, that's why I suggest to start now. It can take three years before you see any fruits. And bear in mind, indoor fruiting is also decidedly difficult for these ones.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

downwardsfromzero
#7 Posted : 4/6/2017 7:39:11 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Quote:

A glovebox will help with this and is very easy to make.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

jma182
#8 Posted : 4/6/2017 8:01:40 PM

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Quote:

A glovebox will help with this and is very easy to make.

i made a still air box its very similar but without the air filter attachment i saw on YT

and yeah its Psilocybe cyanescens & Azurecens, these are indeed hard to grow, i will attempt these ones when i actually got a few grows under my belt. For this first grow im using either corumba cubensis or mazapatec cubensis still havent decided wich one tough.

when i attempt to grow wood lovers i will try to make a pitri dish with mycelium first, but thats a long way down the road.

i will check that guide out thanks for the info!
– Friedrich Nietzsche

syberdelic
#9 Posted : 4/6/2017 9:46:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you can't get your hands on some wide mouth Mason jars, you can use similar size/shape plastic containers that are widely available. Years ago I had good luck with some 500mL plastic containers from some ghetto drug store. You just have to be careful to protect them from the bottom of the PC as it can get hot enough to melt the plastic.

And as a side note, my first grow was from prints taken from shrooms I picked out of cow patties and no PC. I used the PF tek and boiled my jars for 90 minutes. That's the great thing about PF. You can go really primitive with it and still have success.

jma182
#10 Posted : 4/6/2017 10:15:07 PM

syberdelic wrote:
If you can't get your hands on some wide mouth Mason jars, you can use similar size/shape plastic containers that are widely available. Years ago I had good luck with some 500mL plastic containers from some ghetto drug store. You just have to be careful to protect them from the bottom of the PC as it can get hot enough to melt the plastic.

And as a side note, my first grow was from prints taken from shrooms I picked out of cow patties and no PC. I used the PF tek and boiled my jars for 90 minutes. That's the great thing about PF. You can go really primitive with it and still have success.

i might go get some of those, i will however need to source the verm amazon it is and hope it comes trough, thats awesome no PC, did all ur cakes made it w/o contams? might have to get some Polypropylene containers.

man thats cool picking shroomies is fun if u can get em that isBig grin , that was kinda my original idea since the hawk has prints from cubensis that i could've picked myself buut i was so unlucky i only found white amanitas and a bunch of non psychoactive poo lovers hahaha.
– Friedrich Nietzsche

downwardsfromzero
#11 Posted : 4/6/2017 10:21:55 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

My first grow was WBS but pretending it was PF tek to preserve the morphogenetic field of easy success. It worked Big grin

I'd say woodlovers are super easy - once you have the mycelium. And in that respect I've always been lucky, so my failed attempts with spores were somewhat irrelevant.

Nonetheless, I'd still highly recommend trying out the cardboard disc (made using an office hole-punch) and malt extract method. Make a small amount of ~5% malt extract solution with a pinch of calcium sulfate, add a few cardboard discs with a couple of drops of the malt extract solution to each of a few glass tubes (with lids). Sterilise, then, using sterile tweezers to hold one of the sterile discs, scoop up a dab of spores and return the disc to the tube. Keep at 14 - 15°C (287 - 288K). Remember mycelium needs to breath a little!

Woodlovers take a while. Get them started as soon as you can!
They're worth it.

syberdelic
#12 Posted : 4/7/2017 12:12:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It's been a long time ago but if I remember right, I had four out of twenty-four go bad on me.

downwardsfromzero
#13 Posted : 4/7/2017 12:39:15 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

17% and no PC... not bad!

jma182
#14 Posted : 4/7/2017 2:52:58 AM

Whooah i had no idea a PC was so vital lol, i found some steam teks that claim to work with high success rate so imma do a modified version and PC em twice 16 hours apart and then inoculate maybe i get lucky this way.

hahaha i had hoped that this would be like a weed plant i had incredible success for a noob growing those ladies, i got around 3 grows, 12 plants done b4 i stopped due to space restrictions, oh well only way to learn is to actually do it, learn what works with the stuff u can source locally and take it from there.
– Friedrich Nietzsche

entheogenic-gnosis
#15 Posted : 4/7/2017 2:55:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Growing mushrooms is beyond easy. My first grow all I had was an old terence McKenna grow guide and YouTube to guide me, and I did great. It's incredibly simple. Just be sterile, follow directions, and don't "half-ass" anything, if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Pf-tek is definantly the way to go, specially if you have minimal experience and understanding regarding what you are doing.

-eg

jma182
#16 Posted : 4/7/2017 6:29:13 PM

Cool thanks EG,

it was actually mckenna who got me really interested in Shrooms hahaha. since i already got my wbs in process i will try it in my second attempt XD. I got around a 2 weeks to start prepping bulk substrate, i gotta check pet stores for coir blocks or travel to get it but you're right it's something worth doing right
– Friedrich Nietzsche

entheogenic-gnosis
#17 Posted : 4/8/2017 2:51:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

jma182 wrote:
Cool thanks EG,

it was actually mckenna who got me really interested in Shrooms hahaha. since i already got my wbs in process i will try it in my second attempt XD. I got around a 2 weeks to start prepping bulk substrate, i gotta check pet stores for coir blocks or travel to get it but you're right it's something worth doing right

The McKenna (oss and o'eric) grow guide outlines James sinden's grain spawn methods using sterilized rye grain, where the casing is added directly to the jar to induce fruiting.

...This method was not my favorite.

I still say pftek is the way to go. It's much easier to use sterilized brown rice flower and vermiculite, allowing the mycellium colonize on the substrate then fruiting your colonized mycellium in a water saturated perlite lined terrarium than it is to mess around with the methods McKenna outlines for sterilized rye.

I never really got that "into" growing mushrooms, I enjoy knowing that it's a skill that I can employ whenever needed, and that I should always have access to mushrooms as long as I have spores, but getting into anything beyond the basics seemed unnecessary. I would generally grow, and then throw everything away, and hold off on growing again for years at a time...

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#18 Posted : 4/8/2017 4:15:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

...I just wanted to point out that with no experience and very little guiding information I was still very sucessful regarding my first grow. The simplicity of the procedures and the low cost and commonality of the items needed to facilitate the grow made learning and succeeding with these techniques a breeze.

While looking back through this thread my post seems fairly redundant, I should have done a better job reading before I posted as most this stuff was already mentioned...

-eg

jma182
#19 Posted : 4/8/2017 8:37:34 PM

thanks for all the input eg Thumbs up

i will give this a try when i can get my hands on some verm, hopefully customs won stop the package, but for now i already inoculated and tossed the remaining spores i had already scraped and couldnt get in the syringe in my yard maybe i get lucky, dog poo and plant matter lets see how they do hahaha.

got the 9 jars in a plastic container with a lid on inside a blanket cause its kinda chilly. already went back to hyperspace and got me some mexicana galindoi i've always wanted to try philospher stones as wellBig grin
– Friedrich Nietzsche

entheogenic-gnosis
#20 Posted : 4/10/2017 2:28:52 PM
DMT-Nexus member

jma182 wrote:
thanks for all the input eg Thumbs up

i will give this a try when i can get my hands on some verm, hopefully customs won stop the package, but for now i already inoculated and tossed the remaining spores i had already scraped and couldnt get in the syringe in my yard maybe i get lucky, dog poo and plant matter lets see how they do hahaha.

got the 9 jars in a plastic container with a lid on inside a blanket cause its kinda chilly. already went back to hyperspace and got me some mexicana galindoi i've always wanted to try philospher stones as wellBig grin

I have been told the psilocybe mexicana sclerotia (philosophers stones) were less potent that the mexicana mushrooms...

Keep it up though.

Panaeolus cinctulus, syn. Panaeolus subbalteatus as well as its lookalike Panaeolina foenisecii all come up in my yard and in a grassy area near my home every year.

...often pan foe spore prints look almost as dark as pan cinct, so a microscope was employed, the pan foe spores are dextrinoid, with an apical germ pore, while pan cinct spores are smooth.

Everyone tells me these fungi are a waste of time, and I'll admit that I have yet to consume them, but I did manage to obtain spore prints, examine the spores microscopicly, and successfully identify the two species...I still have these specimens in storage.

Unfortunately, my state is terrible for psychoactive fungi, my options are basically:
Panaeolus cinctulus (common, inactive lookalike, low psilocybin content)
Gymnopilus spectabilis (grows on wood, not as common, dangerous lookalikes)
Gymnopilus sapineus (same as spectabilis)
Conocybe cyanopus (very very rare, near impossible to find)

...mushroom growing is the way to go, mushroom hunting is more of a hobby.

-eg

123NEXT