We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Has anyone been really healed or transformed by their Aya practice? Options

archaic_revival_
#1 Posted : 3/31/2017 8:35:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've worked with the plant for about 5 ceremonies over a span of 1 year and a half.

During this time, my physical health has been good (God bless). But I can't say I've been totally transformed by the medicine. I still carry my baggage, my thoughts and my mind still bog me down, I still exist in my little box.

Some of my ceremonies have been ECSTATIC AND HIGHLY PLEASURABLE, while others have been EXCRUCIATING.

So I'm curious...do you have to work with Aya for a long time before you start to notice any real changes? Are there any people who are truly "healed" out there?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

3rdI
#2 Posted : 3/31/2017 9:14:15 AM

veni, vidi, spici

what were you expecting to happen?

its not gonna do the work for ya. drinking the brew is the easy bit, doing something about it is the hard bit.

alot of people come here and seem to think psychedelics are gonna solve their problems, they more than likely wont, you are the one who will solve your problems. im not saying that applies to you, but it seems to apply to alot of people who seek some kind of psychedelic enlightenment.
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

entheogenic-gnosis
#3 Posted : 3/31/2017 2:23:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

First, I apologize for the length of this post.

I experienced transformation from smoked DMT freebase. I was not looking for transformation, I was simply curious, I really had no expectations entering the situation, I just wanted to see what would happen.

...as a result all the neurotic aspects of my personality were shed, my depression and anxiety had disappeared (and have not returned over 5 years later), and my fear of death vanished, while my understanding of life has greatly evolved. I came out of this experience with a new enthusiasm and exhilaration for life, and also a deep personal understanding of death and the nature of consciousness...

I literally had died, had been dismembered (with all my organs and insides being removed), then I was reassembled/resurrected (with my organs replaced with these beautiful objects) and then finally and rebirth...

And it was a real death and rebirth, the person I was before had been destroyed, and a completely new individual had been born...

You are given the choice to emerge transformed, or be destroyed.

Science has confirmed that real personality transformation can be induced by these entheogens:

Quote:
Molecular pharmacology studies have shown that psychedelic 5-hydroxytryptamine (5HT)2A agonists stimulate neurotrophic and transcription factors associated with synaptic plasticity. These data suggest that psychedelics could potentially induce structural changes in brain tissue. Here we looked for differences in cortical thickness (CT) in regular users of psychedelics. We obtained magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) images of the brains of 22 regular users of ayahuasca (a preparation whose active principle is the psychedelic 5HT2A agonist N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT)) and 22 controls matched for age, sex, years of education, verbal IQ and fluid IQ. Ayahuasca users showed significant CT differences in midline structures of the brain, with thinning in the posterior cingulate cortex (PCC), a key node of the default mode network. CT values in the PCC were inversely correlated with the intensity and duration of prior use of ayahuasca and with scores on self-transcendence, a personality trait measuring religiousness, transpersonal feelings and spirituality. Although direct causation cannot be established, these data suggest that regular use of psychedelic drugs could potentially lead to structural changes in brain areas supporting attentional processes, self-referential thought, and internal mentation. These changes could underlie the previously reported personality changes in long-term users and highlight the involvement of the PCC in the effects of psychedelics.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25637267

The transformative DMT event:

Quote:
*note: the dose range in this report is highly inflated, there is no reason to ever dose this high*

the first time I consumed N,N-dimethyltryptamine I smoked 200mgs of translucent yellow crystals of DMT free-base on top of a small amount of high-grade cannabis (about 0.35g cannabis). I consumed the entire contents of the smoking utensil in a single inhalation. I held my breath, in less than 5 seconds an intense rush began, first I felt more intoxicated than I had ever been, then, pure awe, "I don't believe it!" I kept repeating in my head, "this is impossible".... my surroundings began to quiver and slither apart, faster than anything I had ever seen before, everything began moving away from everything else in a mash of brilliant color and geometric form, with blinding speed and intensity, before fully shattering the "reality" in my visual and mental field...

It came on like a freight train, completely unstoppable, I remember thinking "oh fuck! Get this stuff out of me!" And frantically trying to exhale, keep.n mind that I still had not had the chance to even count to 10, or even fully exhale. It was pure terror, I thought "now you have done it! You killed yourself!" After brief mourning at the life I had just departed from I began to pay attention to the present, I remember feeling like I was at the bottom of a foggy mountain with dirt roads, the clouds felt like a domed ceiling, everything was wet, misty, cloudy and rainy, I was overcome with an intense feeling of panic and deja-vu, I felt like a lost child, everything I knew about who I was or my life or earth seemed like a distant dream, like I dissolved out of existence, I knew that I had died, I knew that I was dead, and I was certain that you had been here before, the dejavu was as intense as the terror and awe and I was emotionally overwhelmed while confronting the event of my death.

Just like sand slipping through finger cracks I tried to hold onto this all as my entire identity as a human was dissolved, I remembered my name, the earth, my family, who I was, being a human, and life, but like grabbing at smoke, it was futile, everything slipped away and nearly faded entirely out of my memory, impossible to cling to all this, I had to let it go...
I kept thinking "what the fuck was life?"
...I could not tell if I was breathing or not, I would take air in, but couldn't feel it, I began taking in rapid, deep, panicked deep breaths, thinking that none of the oxygen was entering my system or reaching my lungs, then noticed a pain in my chest...

A giant mantis like being had its claws in my chest! It proceeded to tear open my chest and stomach removing all my organs and insides, I was about to go into shock when I saw a bright green light flash over my shoulder, it nearly hit me, it then became a beautiful fractal-geometric object, morphing and color changing, at times it was metallic at other times it was a beautiful jewel, and all the while to look into it was to view endless geometric fractal patterns, moving, morphing, and changing color.
The mantis then put this object in my torn up body, he began to make billions of these objects, each one unique and radiating beautiful colored light, and the mantoid filled my body with them, billions of them, becoming small as atoms to construct the new insides and organs of my mangled corpse, then I was sealed up and propelled into an orange light where I was resurrected, my conscious-being (soul) was becoming reunited with the physical world...

...then I felt as if I was being pushed head first through a thick gelatinous membrane, violent gesticulations of the membrane surrounding me were forcing me through this thing...I was being born!...

...slowly I began to recognize my surroundings, my face still covered in tears, I looked up and saw the branches of a tree in the yard all slither in sinister fashion in from all directions to take place and solidify as the tree in the distance, the world began to slither back into place, most things moved in an elegant liquid serpentine slithering motion, or like the dancing movements of a flame, I was deeply reminded of psilocybin.

As the world constructed itself back into the familiar, so did my conscious state and memory, I was still disoriented, and fairly traumatized, I thought I had been gone for millennia, "how long was I gone I asked?"....
"about 20 minutes" was the answer
...those who were there said in reality I curled up into a ball and began to cry for 20 minutes.
I was wondering why my face was wet, because it felt like I had actually just been through being born, I was still covered in tears and shaken, I felt like I had been "turned inside out", then that I had died, been dismembered, rebuilt, and resurrected, everything was in a state of complete restructuring, I was a entirely new person, truly reborn, seeing the world through new eyes...

The immense deep spiritual and psychological implications of this experience left me for ever transformed, reborn as a new person entirely, it was the single most meaningful thing that has ever happened to me, and changed me in many significant ways, all for the better.

( I was not looking for enlightenment, awakening, or answers, I was not looking for transformation, and I really did not expect much, I was simply curious...most people expect a good deal and have set goals or specific reasons for ingesting the compound, and while this is fine, it's entirely unnecessary. )

-eg

Below are some comments which I feel related to my transformation:

Quote:
'The shaman is not merely a sick man, or a madman; he is a sick man who has healed himself -Terence McKenna

Quote:
a shaman is someone who has seen the end, and therefore is a trickster, because you don't worry if you've seen the end. If you know how it comes out you go back and you take your place in the play, and you let it all roll on without anxiety. This is what boundary dissolution means. -terence McKenna

Shamanic initiation background information:

Quote:
Shamanic abilities are generally brought on by a personal crisis, such as illness or sudden shock. Where this is not naturally forthcoming, initiations designed to produce the effects of such a state are used to bring about re-birth as a shaman. The shaman sees through everything, dies and is reborn, suffers the pangs of the world, and sees into its darkest corners. The near-death of initiation is common to shamans the world over and a metaphor for their experiences. Afterwards, they are never the same; everything has changed for them. They have known total knowledge and, to a degree according to their skills and strengths, have permanent access to it from that moment on.
( -shamanism bible; Mathews )

Quote:
The actual initiation can be equally excruciating. Most initiations in most cultures involve a symbolic death and rebirth: the candidate 'dies' to his old identity and is reborn to a new one. Shamanic initiates often experience this resurrection in gruesome ways. When the rai (spirits) make a shaman in western australia, they take him to their home.
'There they cut him up and hang up his insides...his body is dead, but his soul remains there, and on the order of the rai to look steadily at the part hanging up, he recognizes [his organs]. His body is put over a hot earth-oven, with magic cooking stones in it, and covered with paper-bark. The perspiration streams down. The rai replace his insides and close up the flesh. He is told that he can henceforth travel in the air like a bird or under the ground like a goanna...
Stories of disembowelment, dismemberment, and reassembly ( usually with magic stones or crystals inserted into the shamans frame) are best understood in this light.

-Hidden Wisdom: A Guide to the Western Inner Traditions
By Richard Smoley, Jay Kinney; page

Quote:
The initiation is understood as a process of death and rebirth: “first, torture at the hands of demons or spirits, who play the role of masters of initiation; second, ritual death, experienced by the patient as a descent to hill or an ascent to heaven; third, resurrection to a new mode of being – the mode of ‘consecrated man,’ that is, a man who can personally communicate with gods, demons and spirits. For initiatory death is always followed by a resurrection; that is, in terms of psychopathological experience, the crisis is resolved and the sickness cured. The shaman’s integration of a new personality is in large part dependent on his being cured

-Written by Mircea Eliade, the entry for Shamanism in vol. 19 of Man, Myth and Magic

Quote:
A shaman may be initiated via a serious illness, by being struck by lightning, or by a near-death experience (e.g. the shaman Black Elk), and there usually is a set of cultural imagery expected to be experienced during shamanic initiation regardless of method.

According to Mircea Eliade, such imagery often includes being transported to the spirit world and interacting with beings inhabiting it, meeting a spiritual guide, being devoured by some being and emerging transformed, and/or being "dismantled" and "reassembled" again, often with implanted amulets such as magical crystals. The imagery of initiation generally speaks of transformation and granting powers, and often entails themes of death and rebirth.
http://www.crystalinks.com/shamanism.html

Quote:
*in reference to Siberian shamanic initiation*
Often these initiations by either another shaman or the spirits involved a traumatic visionary death and rebirth experience. Sometimes this included a journey to the underworld, meetings with deities and the would-be shaman’s body being dismembered and then put together again
http://www.newdawnmagazi...ts-of-siberian-shamanism

-eg

Swayambhu
#4 Posted : 3/31/2017 3:36:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The psychedelic experience is like anything else in life. Different personalities react differently to different situations. Preparation and integration are two important variables amongst a million others.

eg's experience may have had a very different effect on a different person.

There is also luck involved, or Karma, if you prefer.

syberdelic
#5 Posted : 3/31/2017 5:54:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I had two ayahuasca ceremonies in the jungle. The first was an absolutely horrific experience. For the second, I had 1/4 the dose just to give it another chance. I had the opportunity to do two more, but I found the "traditional" setting to be absolutely disgusting. The only things I found to be actually disgusting was the mapacho smoke and the continuous vomiting by the participants. The rest of my disgust lies with the practice itself. And to top it off, I later learned that much of the pain and nausea I experienced during these ceremonies were due to kidney stones and intestinal ulcers. And don't get me wrong here, This experience was at one of the best ayahuasca retreats in the Amazon. Traditional ayahuasca ceremonies simply aren't for me.

But, as awful as this experience was, I came out the other side void of any desire to drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes. I had an experience about a decade earlier with LSD that kept me from becoming a full on alcoholic but I continued to drink in moderation. And I was also a very light smoker. Ayahuasca was the anvil that broke the camels back in this scenario. It completely severed my desire for two of the most harmful vices available to me. I had set intentions, and this was not even remotely one of them.

There were some other things that changed in me like the way I approach religion and spirituality and how I view primitive cultures but nothing as profound as my divorce from alcohol and tobacco.

Limbol
#6 Posted : 3/31/2017 6:18:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Few months after stopped drinking Ayahuasca, Noticed that I don’t consume alcohol or sugar anymore – For no apparent reason whatsoever. I’m mind boggled over this as it used to be a big part of my life. I had no saying in this but for whatever reason – after the ayahuasca journeys– I had no itch for the above mentioned. Who did this? I certainly did not agree on it. However, If I put my mind to it I’m sure I can get right back into it. Rolling eyes

I don't know if Ayahuasca can heal you, but it seems to be able to steal your beer and CocaCola addiction/habbits. And if I agreed of this it was during one of my blackouts. Shocked

Bancopuma
#7 Posted : 3/31/2017 7:48:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

As others have already said, psychedelics like ayahuasca can only show you a door, or a path to positive change...it is up to you to walk it and put in the energy to make said changes happen. So this bit, the real work is harder and comes afterwards.

I do feel really lucky to have experienced ayahuasca but I can't say I've experienced anything majorly transformative or healing through using it...although I'm not sure to what extent I'm in need of healing. I'm not in any way claiming to be a big shot, but I think I have a fairly good handle on my short comings and where I need to improve. For whatever reason I find the mushroom a much more consistent and reliable form of self-therapy than ayahuasca, that's just my take though.

However my sister did have a very profound healing experience through ayahuasca, it led to a transformation in her which was amazing to witness. She was in a very dark place, in a deep depression having lost her beloved dog, severed ties with her sociopathic father, and lost her flat and her job all at the same time. Losing her dog was definitely the most impactful of these losses to her. She was in a self-destructive place, using mephedrone and cannabis to numb her pain, she often look tired, and she wasn't eating well or looking after herself like she should.

I went to Spain and Portugal for a holiday, and at the start of this trip I partaking of a few ayahuasca ceremonies and sweat lodges in a beautiful part of Spain with my girlfriend at the time. At the last minute my sister came along too. Now, the two sweat lodges over those few days were the hardest physical and mental experiences of my life. We all drank ayahuasca and then moved in the lodge for several hours...it was very intense. But my sister handled it very well. The doses of ayahuasca were not particularly high, but they did the job. My mum could not believe the difference in my sister when she arrived back home...she was glowing. A marked difference to how she looked when she left. This was a turning point in her life for her. She quit all destructive drug use, she took up yoga in a serious way (she is now a yoga teacher), her diet improved and she started exercising daily. She went on to have some much deeper experiences with ayahuasca that were very deep and profound (I never experience anything like she was describing) and she went out to train with a shaman in Peru for several months. Things ultimately got a bit culty out there...my mum and I, along with a good friend joined her out there over Christmas and new Years the year before last, which was a great experience...but all of us were happy to be moving on afterwards.

So yeah, ayahuasca can definitely be an amazingly powerful transformative healing agent. It definitely doesn't work for everyone though, and it definitely helps if one is in genuine need of healing. And when that is the case it won't do the hard work for you...that part is up to you.

DmnStr8
#8 Posted : 3/31/2017 11:37:42 PM

Come what may

Psychedelics don't heal. We do. We use the tools. If the tools are not used with skill then the result will be sub par. Only one way to Carnegie hall.

I take psychedelics alone. I have fumbled through in some ways. Learning the tools. I have made mistakes. I have had success. Healing starts from within first and foremost. The core must be exposed and the layers peeled back. Revealing a rawness. It can hurt. It does hurt. My true healing began when I saw the suffering I was going through was caused from within. I was doing it to myself. My perspective towards my core was askew from what actually was.

Layers. Layers. Layers. The ego places them in the way. Barriers. But there is no barrier. No layers. They don't exist. It's all about the ego fearing to not be acknowledged any longer. The ego will create layers,barriers, obstacles, and anything else it can think of to stay. The core of any issues cannot and will never be resolved through the ego. The thoughts come in a cling.

How to let go? Just do it. Just like dropping a hot coal. We do this subconsciously all the time with relatively trivial issues. We can also do this with bigger issues and problems in our lives. I would say it takes the right perspective. Psychedelics can filter your perspective enable to find a way to drop the hot coals you have been carrying around. When you know your being burned you will drop what is burning you. From a proper perspective, the ego can no longer argue. The mind sees and accepts. It allows the healing to then take place. The core problem exposed, recognized, and healed.

The core may need to be exposed several times to come to this. Or it could take one profound moment in time that heals the core in an instant. These psychedelic tools are difficult to use. Just like using a power saw, it's good to use caution and patience. The tools become familiar. The terrain becomes familiar. Communication opens up in the most amazing ways. The thoughts of the mind give way to the heart.

Healing=Love. No matter what happens be grateful and know you love yourself because you wish to be healed. You want to be better. The core issues in your life cannot be healed with the mind. I would argue the mind is the core problem. It's an out of control super computer. We are not the mind. We are all much more than that.

"In the universe there is an immeasurable, indescribable force which shamans call intent, and absolutely everything that exists in the entire cosmos is attached to intent by a connecting link." ~Carlos Castaneda

entheogenic-gnosis
#9 Posted : 4/1/2017 5:26:48 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Swayambhu wrote:
The psychedelic experience is like anything else in life. Different personalities react differently to different situations. Preparation and integration are two important variables amongst a million others.

eg's experience may have had a very different effect on a different person.

There is also luck involved, or Karma, if you prefer.

I've thought about this as well.

In my mind it was something special.

Regardless, it was essential in creating who i am today. After this event I quit doing any drugs (aside from entheogens) and stopped drinking alcohol, I began to eat healthy, I broke up with my girlfriend at the time (who was beyond a negative influence) I began to work heavily in academia, I removed every negative influence from my life, and so on...

...I'm being complete serious when I say I was reborn as a new person, as a better person, I had shed my sickness and madness and neurosis, and I had attained understanding, inner peace, and most importantly I received clarity.

It all comes down to a crisis, you are given the choice, to emerge transformed or to be destroyed....and the prospect of absolute destruction in these situations is very real, this was not your casual psychedelic experience, this was a life and death, an existance versus non-existance crisis.

...very little of your baggage can pass across the barrier with you when you experience something like this, and once it's been shed it generally remains as such.

-eg

Swayambhu
#10 Posted : 4/2/2017 10:41:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think that psychedelics can give the neurona a good flushing, bringing about meaningful change in areas where it was not sought. I experienced the same some 20 years ago, when a concerted psychedelic binge brought my cigarette consumption from 40 a day down to zero.
Unfortunate that did t last long, as I had no interest in quitting.
In your case, eg, I am reminded of the many stories from Hindu/Tantric mythology of the unlettered peasant who succeeds at a spiritual practice where the dedicated yogi makes no progress, on account of his Karmic predisposition.
Not calling you an unlettered peasant, of course.

universecannon
#11 Posted : 4/2/2017 11:25:23 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Utterly transformed, yes. "fully healed", no. But there is a lot more factors in my life than just aya

Energy in energy out

Things got really interesting though once I transitioned to a diet high in fruit along these sorts of ideas
http://leftinthedark.org...ark%20free%20edition.pdf

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Complexity
#12 Posted : 4/7/2017 9:05:46 PM

Being & Becoming

universecannon wrote:

Utterly transformed, yes. "fully healed", no. But there is a lot more factors in my life than just aya

Energy in energy out

Things got really interesting though once I transitioned to a diet high in fruit along these sorts of ideas
http://leftinthedark.org...ark%20free%20edition.pdf

Did you got eidetic memory? Razz
My brain is only a receiver. In the Universe there is a core from which we obtain knowledge, strength, inspiration. I have not penetrated into the secrets of this core, but I know it exists. - Nikola Tesla

Psilociraptor
#13 Posted : 4/10/2017 1:40:04 PM
DMT-Nexus member

How much did you take? I found low doses to be quite useless. The breakthrough doses on the other hand are just starting to fade 3 years later in which time they catalyzed a lot of positive change in my mentality and interactions with the world despite the physical circumstances of my life being far worse off. You really have to hit the saturation point where problems can't be avoided but must be sat through and endured and that is where i found most of my strength. It also helps if you get a little face-time with the Creator. There's not turning back from an experience like that.

dragonrider
#14 Posted : 4/10/2017 7:18:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Aya has really helped me in many ways. Yes, i think i experienced healing and transformation. There often is the sense of being reborn, but that feeling does eventually wear-off after a couple of months. And i actually think that's a good thing, in that life doesn't and probably isn't supposed to stop after you've done ayahuasca.

And as we all know, there's a lot of negative shit out there, in the real world (along with a lot of positive stuff as well, ofcourse). And that will innevitably affect you, in some way.