We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Czech Uni study on mushroom potency - samples needed! Options

Bancopuma
#1 Posted : 3/28/2017 4:48:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi All,

An opportunity here to assist with some fresh new research assessing alkaloid potency of psilocybin containing mushroom species being conducted at the University of Chemical Technology in Prague by Dr Jan Borovicka, Dr Martin Kuchar and fellow researchers based there. The researchers have a government license to handle psilocybin containing mushrooms, and in general the Czech government is a great deal more forward thinking and open minded when it comes to psychedelics than most other governments. Levels of psilocybin, psilocin, baeocystin and norbaeocystin will be analysed, along with stability of these alkaloids according to temperature and storage conditions (fridge, freezer, open air, after lyophylization etc.). Samples will be tested via UHPLC-MS/MS. Much of the psilocybin mushroom potency information is outdated and in dire need of revision, so this is an exciting opportunity for us to contribute towards this.

Any species of psilocybin containing mushroom species would be appreciated, the more the better. So psychoactive members of the genera Psilocybe, Panaeolus, Gymnopilus, Pluteus, Pholiotina etc.

The more obscure species of Mexican Psilocybe spp. (such as those used traditionally by the Mazatec, Mixe, Zapotec and other indigenous Mexican groups) would be particularly appreciated by the researchers as these are particularly difficult to source.

Both wild harvested and indoor/outdoor grown mushrooms are welcomed.

Requirements:

- All and any mushroom samples must have been harvested within the last year.

- All mushroom samples must have been dried at temperatures not exceeding 40°C.

- All mushroom samples must be dried, and the mushrooms left whole (best to package them in a way they won’t get damaged during transit).

- Any mushroom samples should be labelled with species and strain name, date of harvest and place of collection. (If indoor grown, simple label it as this. The strain/cultivar “e.g. Psilocybe mexicana ‘Jalisco’ helps provide information on the original type locality from which the wild spore print was obtained).

- Multiple mushroom specimens per sample are preferred, for two reasons. It will allow for potency comparisons to be made within a given species, and also allow some to be retained by the Herbarium in Prague.

A PhD student under the supervision of Dr Kuchar will be analysing the mushroom samples at the university labs, and then remaining samples will be moved to the Prague Mycological Herbarium. Obviously, for reasons of personal security, I’m sure people will prefer to send samples anonymously. For the laboratory analysis, this is totally fine. For the Herbarium collections however, a contributors name (with no other details required), would be preferred, but is not essential.

Regarding the sensitive issue of anonymity and personal security, Dr Jan Borovicka had this to say to me on this subject:

I understand the problem of hallucinogenic fungi and their legality. We indeed need to keep some material at the Herbarium since that is the only possibility to document our analyses by physical evidence. I have myself donated about 100 Psilocybe collections from various countries - nobody feels it is a problem here. Furthermore, the name of the collector is just written on the Herbarium label and just the curators/visitors can see it (figure of such label is attached). A name just like "John Smith" is not connected with any address or other information so, in fact, is completely anonymous.

Anyway, I understand your point. If anybody feels worried, the collection can be considered an "anonymous donation".”

This is address to which samples should be sent:

Dr. Martin Kuchař
BAFA (Forensic laboratory of biologically active substances) , UCT (University of Chemical Technology)
Technická 3
16628 Praha 6 - Dejvice
Czech Republic

Any assistance with this this I know would be very much appreciated! Please feel free to share this information among circles that may be interested.

Thumbs up
Bancopuma attached the following image(s):
Czech Herbarium specimen label.jpg (486kb) downloaded 48 time(s).

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Bancopuma
#2 Posted : 4/5/2017 9:35:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just an update from some of the researchers on this.

Regarding the issue of sample shipping, one of the researchers had this to say:

Quote:
With regard to the problem of sending: some people are really scared. Anyway, I have repeatedly received collections from the USA with no problems (and with contacts on senders). But there might be problems. In my opinion, collections can also be sent anonymously (indicating incorrect names and addresses on parcels, with some indications inside which we would use for correct identification). Furthermore, the content should be indicated by label "botanical samples for scientific study, harmless, no commercial value".

An academic address will be used so this is probably enough to soothe the customs. Once, I had to go to the custom office for psychoactive fungi - and I had no permit. Anyway, I just declared it has no value; they were interested only in possible duty.

Regarding future research outputs and timeline of study:

Quote:
Thank you very much for your interest in this study. I'm done with the master's program of studies next year. It means that I'll collect the samples by the end of this year. Publication of fungal analyses (+ stability alkaloids) will be published after the writing of diploma thesis.

We plan to write the publication of my Bachelor thesis this summer. My thesis was focused on the determination of alkaloids in ten different species of the genus Psilocybe, comparing the content of alkaloids (baeocystin, norbaeocystin, psilocin and psilocybin) in the stems of mushrooms and hats. Also I compared the content of alkaloids in smaller and larger fruiting bodies of fungi.

Regarding sending samples to the laboratory I do not know much information. I try to ask my manager at the lab. But I think that it will not go legally, because just employees our laboratory can legally provide samples for analysis (or someone who has a contract for work etc.).