We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
UK Drug Advisor Fired After Marijuana Comments Options

SnozzleBerry
#1 Posted : 10/30/2009 6:17:14 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Crying or very sad Crying or very sad Crying or very sad
(AP) – 19 minutes ago

LONDON — Britain's top drug adviser was fired Friday after saying that marijuana, Ecstasy and LSD were less dangerous than alcohol.

David Nutt's comments have embarrassed the British government, which moved to toughen the penalties for possessing marijuana earlier this year despite protests from the British scientific community, which said the move was unjustified.

Nutt said he was disappointed by the move, telling Sky News television that it might have something to do with the upcoming general election, which must be called by the middle of next year.

"But politics is politics and science is science and there's a bit of a tension between them sometime," he told the broadcaster by telephone.

Britain's Home Office confirmed that Nutt, a professor of neuropsychopharmacology, had been asked to resign and said it would be seeking a replacement shortly.

Nutt's views on marijuana have long been known. He made similar comments in a 2007 piece published in prestigious British medical journal, The Lancet.

But in a recent lecture for the Center for Crime and Justice Studies at King's College in London, Nutt accused former Home Secretary Jacqui Smith of "distorting and devaluing" research. He said Smith's decision to tighten restrictions on marijuana as a precautionary step had undermined public faith in government science.

"I think we have to accept young people like to experiment — with drugs and other potentially harmful activities — and what we should be doing in all of this is to protect them from harm at this stage of their lives," he said.

"If you think that scaring kids will stop them using, you are probably wrong."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While I can't say I'm overly surprised by our friends across the pond, I am without a doubt quite upset that governments continue to blatantly ignore scientific evidence and push their agendas of prohibition on the backs of forced resignations and sham investigations into the efficacy of incredibly beneficial substances. The fact that the rights to use alcohol and tobacco remain a part of international society, despite their relatively huge health and social risks while much safer but socially taboo substances are kept underground makes me sick.Mad
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

thepureskunk
#2 Posted : 10/30/2009 6:57:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm not gonna waste time writing too much. Whats the point?

The Govt will do whatever they can to keep all the alcohol fat-cats happy....and our favorite choice of herbs illegal..

WE know the Truth but i doubt that the rest of the herd (the uk population) ever will Crying or very sad

Its a fucked up world
acolon_5 wrote:
Welcome to club hypersex.

I've been there too...it is amazing.

obliguhl
#3 Posted : 10/30/2009 7:00:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
"But politics is politics and science is science and there's a bit of a tension between them sometime," he told the broadcaster by telephone.

"A bit of tension" ? Politics is a concept beyond reason. Where science at least tries to liberate the mind, politics tries to control the mind. And both fail.

d*l*b
#4 Posted : 10/30/2009 7:22:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't see why we bother with scientists in the creation of drug policy, we don't listen to their advice. Why don't we ask all of them to vacate their posts and replace them with civil servants who will tell us the answers we want to hear?
D × V × F > R

obliguhl
#5 Posted : 10/30/2009 7:44:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I don't see why we bother with scientists in the creation of drug policy, we don't listen to their advice. Why don't we ask all of them to vacate their posts and replace them with civil servants who will tell us the answers we want to hear?

To sustain the illusion of a civilised society, driven by reason. Crowd control, basically.

WSaged
#6 Posted : 10/30/2009 7:46:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

d*l*b wrote:

Sounds like that's exactly what they are doing....Crying or very sad

WS
All posts are fictional short stories depicting the adventures of WSaged!! None of these events have actually happened and any resemblance to any real persons or incidents is totally coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

soulfood
#7 Posted : 10/30/2009 8:18:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

The police will just have to keep wasting their time then. It's odd though, I know of no person who has strong views against cannabis other than the fact it's illegal.

69ron
#8 Posted : 10/30/2009 8:21:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Every country has similar problems. Facts, popularity or money? Well, in politics, when running for office it's always popularity, then facts, then money. But when they're in office it’s the reverse order.

Alcohol makes a lot of money. The business of making alcohol is a long time part of the economic structure of many countries. The prime reason for government is to protect a country’s wealth, land owned, etc., and not to actually protect the people. They give us the impression that they are there to product us, but this is just to keep us happy. Governments do as little as they can for their people. Their main objective is to maintain power and wealth.

Imagine if LSD were to be made legal. LSD is so potent that a few people could make enough LSD for the entire world. You wouldn’t need all the wineries, all the vineyards, etc., they could all be replaced with just a few people. This would be economic disaster. If something like LSD was to replace alcohol overnight it would be a catastrophe for the economic structures in place. Thousands would lose their jobs. The government looks at this and values this more than the evidence that alcohol is more damaging than psychedelics.

You have to understand that if you suddenly knocked out the alcohol industry, that many governments would nearly collapse. The USA tried to make alcohol illegal many years ago and it nearly destroyed the country. No government wants to repeat that mess again.

It’s all about money and nothing else. Alcohol is big business and very much afraid of what damage LSD could do to their sales. If LSD were legal, a single dose could be sold for about $0.01. That’s far cheaper than a can of beer. There is NO WAY the alcohol industry could compete with that. No way. If all the young people started turning to LSD instead of beer because of the cost, there’s nothing the alcohol industry could do to get their customers back. Alcohol is more expensive, more toxic, more unhealthy. Believe me, they are deadly afraid of things like LSD.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

thepureskunk
#9 Posted : 10/30/2009 8:26:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

soulfood- great point!

Ron- Also a great post. Its the same with Tobacco v weed. Weed can be grown at next to no cost. Tobacco gets people addicted and brings in the Gov't millions of pounds...

It's all about money and control Crying or very sad
acolon_5 wrote:
Welcome to club hypersex.

I've been there too...it is amazing.

Touche Guevara
#10 Posted : 10/30/2009 8:38:05 PM
DMT-Nexus member

69ron wrote:
Every country has similar problems. Facts, popularity or money? Well, in politics, when running for office it's always popularity, then facts, then money. But when they're in office it’s the reverse order.

Alcohol makes a lot of money. The business of making alcohol is a long time part of the economic structure of many countries. The prime reason for government is to protect a country’s wealth, land owned, etc., and not to actually protect the people. They give us the impression that they are there to product us, but this is just to keep us happy. Governments do as little as they can for their people. Their main objective is to maintain power and wealth.

Imagine if LSD were to be made legal. LSD is so potent that a few people could make enough LSD for the entire world. You wouldn’t need all the wineries, all the vineyards, etc., they could all be replaced with just a few people. This would be economic disaster. If something like LSD was to replace alcohol overnight it would be a catastrophe for the economic structures in place. Thousands would lose their jobs. The government looks at this and values this more than the evidence that alcohol is more damaging than psychedelics.

You have to understand that if you suddenly knocked out the alcohol industry, that many governments would nearly collapse. The USA tried to make alcohol illegal many years ago and it nearly destroyed the country. No government wants to repeat that mess again.

It’s all about money and nothing else. Alcohol is big business and very much afraid of what damage LSD could do to their sales. If LSD were legal, a single dose could be sold for about $0.01. That’s far cheaper than a can of beer. There is NO WAY the alcohol industry could compete with that. No way. If all the young people started turning to LSD instead of beer because of the cost, there’s nothing the alcohol industry could do to get their customers back. Alcohol is more expensive, more toxic, more unhealthy. Believe me, they are deadly afraid of things like LSD.

Good point about alcohol's business model. LSD isn't really the kind of thing that would replace alcohol in most settings (like cannabis would), but offering people other mind-altering substances will definitely eat into that market share. However, if alcohol industry suffers because of low demand, that won't cause nearly the problems that we had during prohibition, when demand was high, supply was low, and the producers were all heavily involved in organized crime.

obliguhl
#11 Posted : 10/30/2009 9:09:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What about showing him our support for speaking the truth?

Head of department: Professor David Nutt
Telephone: (0117) 331 3143 or 331 3178
David.J.Nutt@bristol.ac.uk

jamie
#12 Posted : 10/31/2009 5:17:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

God that is what is so insane about LSD...Hte whole world could be dosed no problem!
Same with salvinorin A probabily...
I wonder if anyone is synthing salvinorin since it's legal n so many places..
Long live the unwoke.

'Coatl
#13 Posted : 10/31/2009 7:40:19 PM

Teotzlcoatl

I wouldn't want that at all. Everybody dosed up on... sounds terrible.

I emailed the guy and thanked him, he seemed happy for the support.

I encourage all of you to email him as well and thank him!
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

polytrip
#14 Posted : 10/31/2009 10:54:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
They haven't learned much from iraq. The same model here: "i want proof that X is bad, show me research data that proof my right of make them up". If they won't do it, fire them or discredit them.

Maybe leadership is the ultimate psychedelic, since apparently it can melt away the barriers between facts and fantasy.

soulfood
#15 Posted : 10/31/2009 10:59:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

polytrip wrote:

Maybe leadership is the ultimate psychedelic, since apparently it can melt away the barriers between facts and fantasy.

Nah, the former is a result of the latter. Honesty = Equality.

Czepa
#16 Posted : 11/1/2009 2:04:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

obliguhl wrote:
What about showing him our support for speaking the truth?

Head of department: Professor David Nutt
Telephone: (0117) 331 3143 or 331 3178
David.J.Nutt@bristol.ac.uk
I support this Idea
Sir Terrence McKenna: "and what is real: is you, and your friends, and your associations, your highs, your orgasms your hopes your plans your fears... and were told. no. we're unimportant, we're peripherial. get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that. and then your a player, (but) you dont even want to play that game? (well) you want to re-claim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers: who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash thats being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world. ¿where is that at?"

"But now technology throws a curve. and the curve is that we live so long, that we figure out what a scam this is. we figure out that what your supposed to work for isn't worth having, we figure out that our politicians are buffoons, we figure out that professional scientists are reputation building gravitating weasels. we discover that all organizations are corrupted by ambition. we figure. it. out... and as you come to see that you are alienated you realise that culture is not your friend."

'Coatl
#17 Posted : 11/1/2009 2:39:11 AM

Teotzlcoatl

I sent him an email and I think he really appreciated it. I encourage everyone here to do the same!
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

ohayoco
#18 Posted : 11/1/2009 2:51:37 AM
DMT-Nexus member

http://www.guardian.co.u...-nutt-gordon-brown-drugs

I wouldn't worry about contacting him, he has support. The Guardian is a well-respected paper.

This government will not survive the next election (unfortunately that means the right-of-centre will be in power again, instead of the, um, centre).
Everything I write is fictional roleplay. Obviously! End tribal genocide: www.survival-international.org Quick petitions for meaningful change: www.avaaz.org/en/
End prohibition: www.leap.cc www.tdpf.org.uk And "Feeling Good" by David D.Burns MD is a very useful book.

obliguhl
#19 Posted : 11/1/2009 12:34:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There are different kinds of support. It's always nice to hear, that you don't only have the backing of a major newspaper but "common folks".

Infundibulum
#20 Posted : 11/1/2009 4:33:06 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

The whole story is a bad joke. And the joke just gets better (or worse, either way).

The "grounds" under which his resignation was accepted (he actually resigned instead of being sacked, but I am more likely to believe that he was forced to resign) is that he mixed politics (this means disputing of his Party's and Governments positions, nice one here) with Science (accepting the facts and data of the scientific community).

god how much we like these jokes. If it was not for government(s) we'd be grumpy and miserable. Rolling eyes

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

123NEXT