We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Quick Question on Rue Extract Options

SnozzleBerry
#1 Posted : 10/28/2009 10:05:07 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

So, a couple of weeks ago I did a test run of a rue extraction using very old seeds (the tail end of my last purchase) and NaOH following white rasta's method, cuz I had nothing else available and was waiting on my new seeds. I really did it just as a learning experience and wanted to see how a non-manske extraction would go. I dissolved NaOH in some water completely, added to my alcohol-evapped and re-hydrated rue extract and watched the alkaloids crash out. I've now had a light brown/tan extract peeking at me from the bottom of a mason jar for almost all of October.

My question is, how safe is this to ingest? I made sure the lye was fully dissolved and added just a little basified water at a time. The extraction was a little sticky where it was on the glass, but it dried out fine after it was scraped. Generally speaking, I'm not a big fan of lye, bought a bunch of it back when I started doing spice extractions and have more or less been sitting on it as I've switched to food safe extractions for my alkaloids. As such, I'm probly being overly paranoid with my lack of expert chemistry skillz. Anyway, due to a series of not quite unfortunate events, I had no ammonia, no car, and was itching to try a new method out. Since that time I've done a whiterasta extraction with ammonia and great results, I'm just curious if I should do anything with my practice extraction, or just toss it and take away the learning experience.

Thanks
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

endlessness
#2 Posted : 10/30/2009 10:34:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

lye is sometimes used in processing olives..

if it was totally dissolved in water and you dried properly, I dont think it should be a problem.. In any case, you could make a sodium carbonate wash, or rather just dont worry and when you want to consume, pre-dissolve them in some warm lightly acidified solution (orange/lemon juice, or whatever) and then drink, and this will neutralize any possible remaining lye

SnozzleBerry
#3 Posted : 10/30/2009 11:49:39 AM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Outta curiosity, what does lye do for olives? Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I'll try some of the extract in some lemon-water and see how it compares to the ammonia-extracted crystals.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

acolon_5
#4 Posted : 10/30/2009 4:04:15 PM

The Great Namah

NaOH is actually used in a lot of foods to adjust the pH. I don't know about olives.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

endlessness
#5 Posted : 10/30/2009 4:37:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah it is exactly to adjust the pH Smile

EZ4U2Shoot
#6 Posted : 10/31/2009 1:42:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Lye is used to make good German Pretzels too. Crispy crust with soft fluffy inside. Much better than those crappy pretzels at the mall.

69ron
#7 Posted : 10/31/2009 5:32:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

EZ4U2Shoot wrote:
Lye is used to make good German Pretzels too. Crispy crust with soft fluffy inside. Much better than those crappy pretzels at the mall.

Sodium carbonate is also used for that purpose.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

kemist
#8 Posted : 10/31/2009 7:27:42 AM

John

Maybe I`m just retarted, but is it realy a big problem to pop down to Tesco`s or elsewhere and get 250 g of pure food grade NaHCO3 for 65 pence baked couple of hours at full power in oven to gain almost 250 g of Na2CO3 ?

Lye (or/and) ammonia in consumables ? bleauh. ILPT was never dare enough to use lye, but when he once used ammonia the precip. has hint of taste from it and it was way too disgusting.
It`s next to imposssible for him get pure or at least food grade lye.

ILPT and all parrots are gutted, what the hell they hearing
As a kemist I never met ILPT in physical form and never talk to him. He share his wisdom, trough my mind, telepathicly only. Please don`t prosecute me, for his possible illegal activities. He is bonkers about chemistry and doesn`t even exist in this primitive reality !!!

endlessness
#9 Posted : 10/31/2009 10:48:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

well where I am, pure food grade lye is common place in supermarkets..

as for ammonia, well, it should evaporate completely so if SWIY's parrot felt some ammonia taste, he probably just didnt evaporate/dry well enough

In any case for rue I think sodium carbonate is better because of being ,easier and safer to deal with, no danger of overshooting the pH, , spills, etc... So I would rather recommend using sodium carbonate next times.. but since the thread was about someone that already used the lye, I was just explaining that its not necessarily a problem Smile

SnozzleBerry
#10 Posted : 10/31/2009 6:05:38 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Interesting about the foodstuffs, I never really thought about acids/bases in foods, although most cooking/baking is essentially chemistry...

kemist wrote:
Maybe I`m just retarted, but is it realy a big problem to pop down to Tesco`s or elsewhere and get 250 g of pure food grade NaHCO3 for 65 pence baked couple of hours at full power in oven to gain almost 250 g of Na2CO3 ?

Not retarded at all, but "going down to Tesco's" or having any quantity of "pence" would require me to fly across the pond...Laughing Laughing Laughing so, probly not gonna go that route...point taken though. No, as I was saying, I was stuck at home due to my car being temporarily incapacitated. That's why I went through the whole "test run" explanation in my first post.

I didn't think there'd be a problem, just wanted to check with the more knowledgeable chemists on here before potentially ingesting something harmful. I've had great success with ammonia and the lye turned out a pretty good product after all. Once the ammonia's gone i'll switch up to sodium carbonate and see how that goes...

Thanks
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

kemist
#11 Posted : 10/31/2009 7:52:23 PM

John

Wasn`t pointed on your swim who is probably living in usa but on folk generaly. It`s always wise to use something food grade.Surely one can get baking soda everywhere, not only in tesco uk lol.
One can get 98 % sodium hydroxide here, in Wilkinsons store, but it`s not stated what are the other 2 % and whether or not it`s free of heavy metals and other crap.
On other hand NaOH is strong base and not much is needed to rise pH.
ILPT is maybe just oveconcerned in healthy issues, as he has bad experience with disrespecting chemistry. He has been told off for that, yet doesn`t change his attitude. lol

endlesness wrote:
as for ammonia, well, it should evaporate completely so if SWIY's parrot felt some ammonia taste, he probably just didnt evaporate/dry well enough

Parrot evaporated it well and dry it too, yet could taste slight hint of amine fishiness. Nothing major though. Cool
As a kemist I never met ILPT in physical form and never talk to him. He share his wisdom, trough my mind, telepathicly only. Please don`t prosecute me, for his possible illegal activities. He is bonkers about chemistry and doesn`t even exist in this primitive reality !!!