We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Being aware in the Now Options

woody
#1 Posted : 2/14/2017 8:06:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

How do you practice and maintain single pointed attention throughout the day? When I am doing manual tasks, work, walking to the shops etc, I try to focus my full attention on what I am doing, and let my distracting thoughts float by like in meditation. However, like meditation this doesn't always work but it's the same process, distracting thoughts will come in and I then try to bring my attention back to the task.

There's plenty of opportunity to practice this in the daytime when we're busy with day to day business, but there's a difference between giving these little tasks full attention throughout the day and giving the T.V or a book full attention. If I watch a film or a program I am concentrating on this with my full focus. But I am not fully present, I'm distracted. Sometimes I slip back into the T.V habit and after a couple of hours I will stop watching and feel the sensation of 'coming back', I was lost in someone else's imagination.

Sometimes it's just good to sit in a silent room and just Be in that silence, sometimes it's better in a busy noisy room, finding that inner silence.

I'd be interested to hear what being present means to other people and how you bring into daily life.

Woody

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.