We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Green Fruiting Options

DisEmboDied
#1 Posted : 1/25/2017 5:05:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I had 12 cakes, 7 of them overnight got infected with green mold right at the end of the colonization process. 3 of the 5 left are not covered in green, but have a greenish tint underneath after birthing them.

I put them in the chamber to fruit anyway, I separated the greenish background tint ones from the others, but are still in the same chamber ultimately.

Is this a good idea, or should I just toss them?

They are so ready to fruit I would hate to waste them, but if I have to, then I have to....Sad

Love and Light!
Meditate before you venture, take it seriously, use it as medicinal—it is good psychotherapy if needed. Realize that you, the Earth, others, and the Universe are all one and the same process. Then take that knowledge back to become, as you already are, one with nature. Eternity in every moment. Divinity in every particle. All is one organism.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

TGO
#2 Posted : 1/25/2017 7:18:12 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Trash the green cakes, unfortunately. Do you have any pictures?

RogerRabbit wrote:
It really doesn't matter the species of mold. If it's green, black, red, yellow, etc., toss it out.

Leaving them in the same chamber can not only contaminate the other cakes, but the whole chamber itself and possibly the surrounding area. I know it sucks but those contaminated cakes need to go!

New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

obliguhl
#3 Posted : 1/25/2017 7:18:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You can put the moldy ones in a makeshift fruiting chamber (any container with perlite or vermiculite (wet) in them). Chances are some will fruit once. Perhaps just one weird mushroom....but what would father say after breaking the quesedilas? Better than nothing.

syberdelic
#4 Posted : 1/25/2017 10:57:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have made the mistake of fruiting moldy cakes. Learn from my mistake and don't get food poisoning while tripping balls.

I was very careful to cut off the mold. The mold would grow back in places and I would again carfuly cut it off. I did this a few times during fruiting and the mycelium finally overtook the mold. I was confident that I had beat the mold until I ate 3.5g.

As I felt the trip coming on I suddenly got very nauseous and stomach cramps set in. At around T+45, I went to puke in the toilet. The puking and dry heaving went on for the next hour and a half, right through an intense peak while I was hugging the toilet. It was possibly the worst trip I've ever had (of many) with continual thoughts of suicide, apathy, and self hatred. When I started sobering up, I noticed that my skin was yellow and I had muscle cramps all over my body.

Fungus absorbs toxins out of it's environment. You can cut the mold off but the mycelium has already absorbed the toxins. I consider myself lucky in that experience. It's just not worth the risk. Toss them and try again. Work on your sterile technique.

If you really want to get some value out of them, let them fruit and let the caps fully mature so that you can take spore prints. You have to be very careful with this because it's easy to contaminate the prints. Just don't eat them or let anyone else.

Cognitive Heart
#5 Posted : 1/26/2017 2:11:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, a toss for sure. I experienced a similar issue recently during spawning and green mold growth. Ain't no sunshine in those caps. Thumbs down
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

tseuq
#6 Posted : 1/26/2017 7:37:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The Grateful One wrote:
Leaving them in the same chamber can not only contaminate the other cakes, but the whole chamber itself and possibly the surrounding area.

I know it sucks but those contaminated cakes need to go!

!

tseuq
Everything's sooo peyote-ful..

obliguhl
#7 Posted : 1/26/2017 8:57:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Fungus absorbs toxins out of it's environment. You can cut the mold off but the mycelium has already absorbed the toxins. I consider myself lucky in that experience. It's just not worth the risk

Thanks for sharing this with us, very valuable info Smile
I think i'll just follow your lead should i ever grow mushrooms again...Sick

tseuq
#8 Posted : 1/26/2017 9:17:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Fungus absorbs toxins out of it's environment.

I also warn of the use of aluminum cases, better use glass/ceramic for fruiting. Once, the mycilium (P.Cubensis) just ate itself through the aluminum tray! Drool Shocked

tseuq
Everything's sooo peyote-ful..

syberdelic
#9 Posted : 1/26/2017 12:33:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

tseuq wrote:
Quote:
Fungus absorbs toxins out of it's environment.

I also warn of the use of aluminum cases, better use glass/ceramic for fruiting. Once, the mycilium (P.Cubensis) just ate itself through the aluminum tray! Drool Shocked

tseuq

For casing trays, I've had great luck with plastic dishwashing pans. As long as it's in good condition and nothing that would break down plastic is introduced, the mycelium will not pull anything from the plastic. UV light would be the most common violator, but of course any significant amount of UV would be bad for the shrooms as well.

DisEmboDied
#10 Posted : 1/27/2017 1:44:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks, you have inspired me to toss them. 12 whole jars ruined at the end. I even used the oven technique while injecting, oh well, maybe a little harder than I thought.
Meditate before you venture, take it seriously, use it as medicinal—it is good psychotherapy if needed. Realize that you, the Earth, others, and the Universe are all one and the same process. Then take that knowledge back to become, as you already are, one with nature. Eternity in every moment. Divinity in every particle. All is one organism.

syberdelic
#11 Posted : 1/27/2017 3:00:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If you don't already incorporate this, give it a shot next time;

Turn off any sources of circulating air including central air or heating systems.
On top of sterilizing all containers and implements involved, any time spores are open to the air sacrifice an entire full size can of unscented lysol or equivalent. This is one of the reasons I always get a little choked up when birthing cakes.

It won't give you clean room conditions, but will increase your odds tremendously.

DisEmboDied
#12 Posted : 1/27/2017 3:14:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think I might just buy them next time haha. I was excited to grow them, but I hate the length of time it takes, 2-3 months. Makes me too nervous the whole time, that's a shame, because mushrooms are my new favorite and I like to grow or extract my own whatever. I would only extract my own D for example. Maybe in the future who knows, or, just buy a bag from a friend haha.

downwardsfromzero
#13 Posted : 1/27/2017 10:08:34 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

DisEmboDied wrote:
I think I might just buy them next time haha. I was excited to grow them, but I hate the length of time it takes, 2-3 months. Makes me too nervous the whole time, that's a shame, because mushrooms are my new favorite and I like to grow or extract my own whatever. I would only extract my own D for example. Maybe in the future who knows, or, just buy a bag from a friend haha.

2-3 months? I grew woodlovers once and was delighted with results 6 years later. This was from a tiny fragment of mushroom tissue that I nearly left for dead.

Btw, with woodlovers there's much less of a worry about contamination - they need the dirt for success - at least, if you're not starting from spores, that is. Even with spores there are workarounds although I've been lucky and always had ready mycelium to work with, ergo, I shouldn't really comment as my attempts to work with woodlover spores were unsuccessful.

Then again, that was a long while ago and I've worked successfully with spores under sterile conditions since.

Glad you tossed the mouldy cakes, it's so not worth the risk. You might as well be eating datura otherwise!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli