We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Looking for alternative treatments for this two rare conditions. Options

AwesomeUsername
#1 Posted : 1/16/2017 12:47:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have a grandmother who has been on medication for her high platelets for well over an decade. This medication has also debilitating side effects that caused her to have something called "osteopenia", which is similar but different to osteoporosis.

Me working with plant medicines for some time and reading up on them for the last year or so, I can't help but search for alternative solutions for her illness. Obviously the meds aren't helping and actually making it worse, so I can't just stand by doing nothing while a loved one of mine is paying a whole lot of money to kill herself slowly.

I've been thinking about using medical cannabis or harmal seeds for her, but to this day I have not found solid proof that these two would actually help for this specific conditions or perhaps I haven't looked enough to find that it works. People often regard medical cannabis and harmalas as cure-alls but I can't give her anything unless I'm sure it will work otherwise this too can be a waste of time and money.

I know this place isn't loaded with doctors, but someone with some knowledge or experience to share would be neat. If there is no treatment for this she could be faced with dying soon, and nobody would want that. At least some guidance on what to research for this case would be appreciated.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

corpus callosum
#2 Posted : 1/16/2017 9:35:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

AwesomeUsername wrote:
I have a grandmother who has been on medication for her high platelets for well over an decade. This medication has also debilitating side effects that caused her to have something called "osteopenia", which is similar but different to osteoporosis.

Me working with plant medicines for some time and reading up on them for the last year or so, I can't help but search for alternative solutions for her illness. Obviously the meds aren't helping and actually making it worse, so I can't just stand by doing nothing while a loved one of mine is paying a whole lot of money to kill herself slowly.

Sorry to hear of your grans illness; do you know the name of her condition? I wonder if its essential thrombocythemia (aka primary thrombocytosis) but she may have another of the myeloproliferative disorders. Which med(s) is she taking, and do you have a recent platelet count which demonstrates the med(s) are not helping?
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

AwesomeUsername
#3 Posted : 1/16/2017 11:15:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

When I asked what it's called I immediately opened up the thread, and she just says "high platelets" and "osteopenia". I'm not sure what the medication is called but a side effect of it is that it can cause osteopenia among a whole load of side effects along it, but supposedly she got some that are listed but not all.

She also says if she gets off the one medicine she's taking (not counting calcium for bones and ibuprofen for pain) that she will die so it's serious, I don't know the scientific term of this condition however. I could ask for the papers but as far as I know her platelets are constantly high and never in the normal range so the medication is currently just keeping it from getting higher and killing her right away.

I'll check for the name of the medication and PM you if it's okay with you.