We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Low dose psilocybin stimulates fluidity of memory? Options

Anamnesia
#1 Posted : 1/15/2017 8:06:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi everyone.
So, the other day I took a small amount of mushrooms and proceeded to begin reading a book called Grammatical Man: Information, Entropy, Language, and Life. Of course, as always happens for me with psilocybin, anything and everything becomes enormously interesting. Nevertheless this book is incredibly interesting besides.

Anyway, what I noticed as I was reading, studying, and thinking about the information I was absorbing was that my memory capacity became incredible. My mind could just effortlessly "grab" and "hold" the information in memory. I could read a paragraph or two or even an entire page, and basically recall with ease the information I had just read, and then proceed to analyze it and rearrange it in my mind, adding to it my own ideas and connections without losing the information I was thinking about. I couldn't believe it as it was happening, but it was happening.

Now, I must say of course also it was very difficult to maintain focus and as my mind was being stimulated fractally to think in all directions surrounding the subject matter of what I was reading - associative thinking we might say. However, I was committed to fully understanding the information I was reading and I did not want to just read and forget. I wanted to remember! And remember I could and still can I would say 80 percent of the information I read.

I'm interested to find out how common this experience of profound improvements in working memory through dosing small amounts of psilocybin is!

Basically, if you are mentally disciplined enough to hold concentration on whatever it is you're focusing on simultaneous with a small dose of psilocybin powering the brain, then through these occasional windows of super-learning capacity you can absorb an incredible amount of information, and not only that but also be able to put your own spin on it.

As an aside...
I'm ecstatic about this despite having experienced low dose and high dose sessions before numerous times. Perhaps the reason I never noticed this before was because every time I was beshroomed I was also stoned. I feel very fortunate to have liberated myself from cannabis although she and I have had a miracle relationship in the past. Cannabis, through its anti-memory effects, must have canceled out any improvements in working memory bestowed upon me by psilocybin. Now if I take a low dose of psilocybin all by itself and sit down with a book with a solid intention to focus on and understand this book it turns out this is a very powerful method to supercharge your learning abilities by amplifying enormously your working memory, or at least, the fluidity, the ease at which the information sticks.

Maybe I'm describing hippocampal neurogenesis in action?

What do you think? Have you had a similar experience?

Peace!
Genesis is Now, the Mind is Incarnate.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

digitalvygr
#2 Posted : 1/16/2017 1:15:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting effect. How low of a dose do you mean? Often people say a microdose is 10% of their usual amount, and meant to be "sub-perceptual" so that you do not even know you took it.

Sounds like you are going over the microdose level because it is still getting somewhat fractal, but still low dose.

I'd be interested in knowing if this is repeatable for you as well. I have had super-learning instances where no substance was involved, but then those occasions were rare.

Anamnesia
#3 Posted : 1/16/2017 6:06:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah I'm definitely talking about a dose higher than the so called micro dose where you don't even know you took anything. For sure by low dose I do not mean a micro dose! I took about 0.4 - 0.6 grams dried. In my opinion, I would not call that a micro dose but a dose big enough that, since I've had 5 grams experiences in the past, I can use that small amount to coax the insights from my deeper trips back into awareness if I become internally silent. Some people scorn fiddling with this stuff but in my opinion taking a dose such as the one I've described can be extremely useful and illuminating if done properly, especially alone and in the right setting!
Genesis is Now, the Mind is Incarnate.

entheogenic-gnosis
#4 Posted : 1/16/2017 1:13:01 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I have been researching this field quite a bit lately, nothing serious, just hobby research, but have ultimately moved away from the notion of microdosing, and into the field of exploring psychedelics with nootropic potential. The goals of microdose users seem to be quite similar to the goals of nootropic consumers, improved focus, improved concentration, improved memory, added inspiration*, improved performance, improved creativity, improved productivity, and so on.

Now, I feel psychedelic pharmacology is essential here, as non-psychedelic nootropics seem lacking, so I began to search for psychedelics with nootropic potential.

Around 1999 I was given a copy of "Certain Exotic Transmitters as SMART PILLS or Compounds that Increase the Capacity for Mental Work in Humans A story about LAZAR as told by Hosteen Nez", this publication is focused on 2,5-dimethoxy-4-methyl-phenethylamine, or "2C-D", which shows great potential. In 2015 Darrell lemaire revealed himself as the author (both authors), and again this publication was back into my focus...coincidentally simultaneously while I was researching microdosing and nootropics. It can be located in full HERE

I think 2C-D holds great promise, specially for microdosers, and in cases where 2C-D may be "too stimulating" it seems lemaire found a suitable alternative:

Quote:
Meg, found that 2CD was a little too strong for them; they mostly felt that it "wired them up" excessively. The compound was tamed by replacing the two methoxy groups on the ring with two ethoxy groups and resulted in 2CD-DiEt (4-Methyl-2,5-diethoxy-phenethylamine) which retained the smart pill activity and eliminated the tendency towards states of intoxication.
https://erowid.org/chemi...amp;replacenum;2ct2-diet

So, 2,5-diethoxy-4-methyl-phenethylamine is another nootropic psychedelic with very promising potential...

Quote:
Anamnesia said: So, the other day I took a small amount of mushrooms and proceeded to begin reading a book called Grammatical Man: Information, Entropy, Language, and Life. Of course, as always happens for me with psilocybin, anything and everything becomes enormously interesting.

* "added inspiration" explanation
this covers the phenomena mentioned previously regarding being fascinated by most anything, which can be easily explained:
Quote:

In addition, the locus coeruleus (LC) is
often referred to as the "novelty detector" for salient external
stimuli. One would predict that sensory events that may not
ordinarily seem remarkable may be perceived as having "increased
novelty". This is indeed one of the effects commonly reported by
users of hallucinogens (Nichols, 2004).
http://www.123helpme.com/view.asp?id=33297

Quote:
Novelty detection is accompanied by increased hippocampal noradrenergic activity, driven by enhanced firing of the locus coeruleus (LC), the main source of noradrenalin (NA) in the brain (Sara et al. 1994; Kitchigina et al. 1997). Lesioning the afferents that carry neuromodulatory inputs (including NA) to the hippocampus impairs recollection of episodic-like memory (Easton 2006). LC stimulation improves memory retrieval (Devauges and Sara 1991), whereas vagus nerve stimulation enhances memory encoding and consolidation (Clark et al. 1995, 1999; Ghacibeh et al. 2006) via LC activation, suggesting that the LC, and the noradrenergic activity it mediates in the hippocampus, may be a key factor in driving synaptic plasticity in response to novel spatial events
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih...pmc/articles/PMC2774396/

So, through increased hippocampal noradrenergic activity facilitated through the Locus Coeruleus, you can encounter an object which you have encountered many times before, and because your brain's "novelty detection" centers are in action, it's as if you were seeing it for the first time in terms of novelty.

Links related to the benefits of microdosing

http://www.marieclaire.c...r-women-microdosing-lsd/
Why Power Women Are Micro-Dosing LSD at Work

This link below is one of my favorite pieces of research related to this field:
Quote:

http://realitysandwich.c...nding_cognitive_studies/
A significant instance of problem solving resulted in a Nobel Prize for Kary Mullis. Until the invention of the polymerase chain reaction (PCR), a common problem in biology was that biological samples were often too small to analyze, but Mullis solved that and won a Nobel Prize. He described how LSD aided him in doing so.

"PCR's another place where I was down there with the molecules when I discovered it and I wasn't stoned on LSD, but my mind by then had learned how to get down there. I could sit on a DNA molecule and watch the [indistinct] go by. . . . I've learned that partially I would think, and this is again my opinion, through psychedelic drugs . . . if I had not taken LSD ever would I have still been in PCR? I don't know, I doubt it, I seriously doubt it." (Mullis 1998; "Horizon: Psychedelic Science" 1997)

From the point of view of psychedelic cognitive studies, Mullis's example is noteworthy because he did not have his insight while taking psychedelics but instead used psychedelics to increase his ability to visualize, then transferred that cognitive skill back to his ordinary mindbody state. This confirms the idea that some skills learned in one state can be transferred to another. Transference and nontransference between mindbody states is itself a cognitive process that deserves study — learning to remember dreams, for example. Learning to increase this flow, if it is possible, would increase access to stores of information and possibly to new cognitive skills.

Unlike Mullis's experience of transferring a skill back to his ordinary state, most instances of psychedelic problem solving occur while the person's cognitive processes are psychedelically augmented. This is most clearly illustrated by "Psychedelic Agents in Creative Problem Solving: A Pilot Study," by Willis Harman, a professor of engineering economic systems, and a team of researchers at Stanford Research Institute. Working with twenty-seven men who were "engaged in various professional occupations, i.e., engineers, physicists, mathematicians, architects, a furniture designer, and a commercial artist and had a total of 44 professional problems they wanted to work on," the Stanford Research Institute team divided them into groups of three or four and gave them 200 milligrams of mescaline, followed by a quiet period of listening to music. Then they had snacks and discussed their problems with their group. Following this they spent three or four hours working alone on their problems. As a result of psychedelic enhancement, the practical results were impressive.
http://realitysandwich.c...nding_cognitive_studies/

Reference links:
http://www.123helpme.com/view.asp?id=33297
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih...pmc/articles/PMC2774396/
https://www.dmt-nexus.me...;t=73277&find=unread

-eg