We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Queen Anne's Lace~Trippy? Options

PsilocybeChild
#1 Posted : 1/6/2017 9:13:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

elemicin, kaempferol, myristicin, scopoletin MAO-Inhibitor??
Can this be right?
That's a lota good stuff for the brain.

Quote:
Acetone, acetyl-choline, alpha-linolenic-acid, alpha-pinene, alpha-tocopherol, apigenin, arachidonic-acid, arginine, asarone, ascorbic-acid, bergapten, beta-carotene, beta-sitosterol, caffeic-acid, camphor, chlorogenic-acid, chlorophyll, chrysin, citral, citric-acid, coumarin, elemicin, esculetin, ethanol, eugenol, falcarinol, ferulic-acid, folacin, formic-acid, fructose, gamma-linolenic-acid, geraniol, glutamine, glycine, hcn, histidine, kaempferol, lecithin, limonene, linoleic-acid, lithium, lupeol, lutein, luteolin, lycopene, magnesium, manganese, methionine, mufa, myrcene, myricetin, myristicin, niacin, oleic-acid, pantothenic-acid, pectin, phenylalanine, potassium, psoralen, quercetin, scopoletin, stigmasterol, sucrose, terpinen-4-ol, thiamin, tryptophan, tyrosine, umbelliferone, xanthotoxin, and a slew of other Vitamins and minerals. These constituents are known to have these activities, Analgesic, Anti-arthritic, Antidepressant, Anti-psychotic, Anti-schizophrenic, Antidote, Anti-inflammatory, Antibacterial, Anticonvulsant, Anti-diabetic, Anti-estrogenic, Anti-flu, Antihistaminic, Antioxidant, Antiseptic, Antispasmodic, Anti-epileptic, Anti-anxiety, Anti-stress, Ant-PMS, Anti-hangover, Antiviral, Cancer-Preventive, Expectorant, Fungistat, Immunostimulant, MAO-Inhibitor, Sedative, Tranquilizer, Aphrodisiac, Sweetener, Pituitary-Stimulant, and more. Ongoing studies are proving this to be a very valuable plant, useful in many areas of alternative medicine, a few are Alzheimer’s, Crohn’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, Infertility, Asthma-preventive, most types of cancer, Diabetes, Leukemia, HIV, Spina-bifida, Migraine headache, obesity, and much more, even the common cold. Used as a medicinal herb for thousands of years as an anthelmintic, carminative, contraceptive, deobstruent, diuretic, emmenagogue, galactogogue, ophthalmic, and stimulant.

https://altnature.com/gallery/wildcarrot.htm
―λlτεrηιτγ→
Kambo.me Forum
​Internet Security Walk-Through
[url=https://kambo.me/smf/index.php?topic=395.0]Tobacco Disinformation

PM me about personal Herbalist consultations.
Can do it over PMs as to not reveal personal information.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

entheogenic-gnosis
#2 Posted : 1/6/2017 1:46:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I can't find a good published chemical analysis of Daucus carota...

I found this:
Quote:
Abstract
The chemical composition of the essential oils obtained by hydrodistillation from the pastinocello carrot, Daucus carota ssp. major (Vis.) Arcang. (flowers and achenes), and from nine different commercial varieties of D. carota L. ssp. sativus (achenes) was investigated by GC/MS analyses. Selective breeding over centuries of a naturally occurring subspecies of the wild carrot, D. carota L. ssp. sativus, has produced the common garden vegetable with reduced bitterness, increased sweetness, and minimized woody core. On the other hand, the cultivation of the pastinocello carrot has been abandoned, even if, recently, there has been renewed interest in the development of this species, which risks genetic erosion. The cultivated carrot (D. carota ssp. sativus) and the pastinocello carrot (D. carota ssp. major) were classified as different subspecies of the same species. This close relationship between the two subspecies urged us to compare the chemical composition of their essential oils, to evaluate the differences. The main essential-oil constituents isolated from the pastinocello fruits were geranyl acetate (34.2%), α-pinene (12.9%), geraniol (6.9%), myrcene (4.7%), epi-α-bisabolol (4.5%), sabinene (3.3%), and limonene (3.0%). The fruit essential oils of the nine commercial varieties of D. carota ssp. sativus were very different from that of pastinocello, as also confirmed by multivariate statistical analyses.
Copyright © 2014 Verlag Helvetica Chimica Acta AG, Zürich.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25044588

And I found a few misc. references to pyrrolidine and other misc. Compounds:
Quote:
6-hydroxymellein,[26] 6-methoxymellein, eugenin, 2,4,5-trimethoxybenzaldehyde (gazarin) or (Z)-3-acetoxy-heptadeca-1,9-diene-4,6-diin-8-ol (falcarindiol 3-acetate) -Wikipedia

But that's about it...

If you can direct me to a good chemical analysis reference for this plant it would be much appreciated. I'm particularly interested in potential myristicin and elemicin content, and the 2,4,5-trimethoxy-benzaldehyde also caught my eye...

-eg

PsilocybeChild
#3 Posted : 1/7/2017 2:18:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Whoops, posted this in the wrong section. This is a traditional american herb that has been used traditionally as an abortifacient. Sort of used as like a morning after pill at dose of about 1 tsp to stimulate the uterus to contract. It is cautioned as being harsh on the liver like other abortifacients, but I have read that it is harsher than others and sometimes alternatives may be sought because of this. That was just what I read on one website. So caution should be advised until more information is known.
―λlτεrηιτγ→
Kambo.me Forum

Psybin
#4 Posted : 1/7/2017 2:34:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I tried to track down sourcing for the original web page the OP linked to, which ultimately led to https://phytochem.nal.us...ov/phytochem/search/list

Unfortunately, while references are provided for the different ethnobotanical uses; no references are provided for the various compounds the OP lists as contained the Daucus carota

entheogenic-gnosis
#5 Posted : 1/7/2017 4:26:11 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I can't find much of anything, aside from what was in my previous post, and what can be found below:

Misc. Link:
http://www.pfaf.org/user...?LatinName=Daucus+carota

Quote:
Chemistry

Per 100 g, the carrot is reported to contain 86.0 g H2O, 0.9 g protein, 0.1 g fat, 10.7 g carbohydrate, 1.2 g fiber, 1.1 g ash, 80 mg Ca, 30 mg P, 1.5 mg Fe, 2,000-4,300 IU Vit. A, 60 IU Vit. B1, 3 mg niacin, and 3 mg ascorbic acid. The Wealth of India (C.S.I.R., 1948-1976) reports thiamine (56-101 ug/100g), riboflavin (50-90 ug/100 g), and nicotinic acid (0.56-11 mg/100 g) among the B vitamins. Vitamin C is in a protein-ascorbic acid complex. Vitamin D, a substance with the characteristics of vitamin E and a phospholipoid of vitamin reactions corresponding to A and D and containing calcium, phosphorus and nitrogen in organic linkage, are also present. Carrots contain ca 5.27% ZMB of phytin. Sixteen percent of the phosphorus is present as phytic acid phosphorus. The lipids extracted from raw carrots are characterised by a low nitrogen content (0.33-0.72%) and by the absence or low content (0.52%) of choline, while those extracted from steamed roots are rich in nitrogen (1.1-1.3%) and choline (4.2-4.4%). Pectin isolated from carrots (yield, 16.82-18.75% on dry weight) has no gelling property. Ash of carrots gave (on fresh weight basis): total ash, 0.92; K2O, 0.51; Na2O, 0.06; CaO, 0.07; MgO, 0.02; and P2O5, 0.09%. Trace elements reported to be present include: Fe, Al, Mn, Cu, Zn, As, Cr, I, Br, Cl, U, and Li (C.S.I.R., 1948-1976).
Toxicity

Daucus has been reported to contain acetone, asarone, choline, ethanol, formic acid, HCN, isobutyric acid, limonene, malic acid, maltose, oxalic acid, palmitic acid, pyrrolidine, and quinic acid. Reviewing research on myristicin, which occurs in nutmeg, mace, black pepper, carrot seed, celery seed, and parsley, Buchanan (J. Food Safety 1: 275, 1979) noted that the psychoactive and hallucinogenic properties of mace, nutmeg, and purified myristicin have been studied. It has been hypothesized that myristicin and elemicin can be readily modified in the body to amphetamines*. Handling carrot foliage, especially wet foliage, can cause irritation and vesication. Sensitized photosensitive persons may get an exact reproduction of the leaf on the skin by placing the leaf on the skin for awhile, followed by exposure to sunshine.
https://www.hort.purdue....us_carota.html#Chemistry

The underlined section from the excerpt above is explained after the star below:

Quote:
In 1963, Alexander Shulgin speculated myristicin could be metabolized to MMDA, a psychoactive drug related to MDA, in the liver.

This speculation has never been confirmed and studies with the closely related compounds asarone and safrole demonstrated that the proposed transamination reactions did not take place in humans. However, Alexander Shulgin notes in his book PiHKAL that

"Myristicin and the conjugated isomer isomyristicin are also found in parsley oil, and in dill. This was the oil that was actually shown to be converted to MMDA by the addition of ammonia by passage through an in vitro liver preparation."

As quoted, this transamination was conducted in vitro, and has yet to be proven to occur in vivo. -Wikipedia

Quote:
What are these relationships between the essential oils and the amphetamines? In a word, there are some ten essential oils that have a three carbon chain, and each lacks only a molecule of ammonia to become an amphetamine. So, maybe these essential oils, or "almost" amphetamines, can serve as an index for the corresponding real amphetamine counterparts. I had originally called this family the "natural" amphetamines, but my son suggested calling them the "essential" amphetamines, and I like that. -shulgin ; PIHKAL

-eg

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 1/8/2017 12:05:09 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I have also read of the carrot's alleged myristicin content. Perhaps this relates to the alleged practice of smoking carrot foliage for purported psychoactive effect?

Despite my practical interest in the effects of nutmeg, I've yet to have made any wilful attempt at inducing psychoactive effects with carrots. I suspect a good biodynamically-grown specimen will be more effective than a supermarket weakling although I've only found this to be the case for expelling intestinal worms thus far.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

PsilocybeChild
#7 Posted : 1/8/2017 3:23:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I have also read of the carrot's alleged myristicin content. Perhaps this relates to the alleged practice of smoking carrot foliage for purported psychoactive effect?

This is Wild Carrot herb or Queen Anne's Lace. Not your common vegetable carrot. Though they may have essential oils compounds in common.
―λlτεrηιτγ→
Kambo.me Forum

downwardsfromzero
#8 Posted : 1/8/2017 4:01:37 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Both are, broadly, Daucus carota. But clearly subsp. sativa is something of a leap away. Wild carrot is fairly abundant in certain places - Europe being my area of experience - gathering seeds from the wild should be pretty straightforward.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

PsilocybeChild
#9 Posted : 1/8/2017 9:04:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

EDIT: I was wrong about the root being edible.
―λlτεrηιτγ→
Kambo.me Forum

entheogenic-gnosis
#10 Posted : 1/10/2017 2:46:59 PM
DMT-Nexus member

https://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/26186/PDF
This PDF claims to find myristicin in d. Carota...

https://www.researchgate...ensis_Growing_in_Algeria
This PDF might mention this, but I could not get it to download.

-eg

PsilocybeChild
#11 Posted : 1/11/2017 5:40:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Okay, watching an herbalism video and apparently the root has toxicity and is not an edible.
―λlτεrηιτγ→
Kambo.me Forum

wira
#12 Posted : 5/21/2017 3:54:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, the garden carrot is the product of selective breeding to be juicy and taste good. The wild form from which it originated (ie. Queen Anne's lace) would have higher levels of essential oils and bitter principles with medicinal and toxic potential. That would be the stuff I'd go for if trying to smoke the leaves. I've been meaning to try it for years but so far never found any wild carrot that I'm 100% on with i.d. - plenty of hemlock though, with which it can be confused if you're not careful - and you do want to be careful with that one!

JAi
#13 Posted : 5/21/2017 11:02:21 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Had an ex that would use this contriceptively at the right time in her cycle, about a tablespoon of seeds. No psychoactive effects mentioned. I would imagine, looking above that it contains asarone, that any phsychoactive experience one would be able to get would be similar to calamus and making a tea would be the best way. The aromatic chemistry profile of calamus makes it hepatoxic and damaging to cells in general, similar to alcohol. Also interesting is that though there may be said to be precursors to things that resemble other psychoactives, or are themselves active after amination, the effects of calamus have been said to be due to activity at the GABA receptor, which is responsible for the activity of things like alcohol, GHB, and Betel nut.

I like calamus, as did Walt Whitman and Henry David Thorough, so I'm curious of similar alternatives such as piri piri, while at the same time I'm not wanting to be the guinea pig with this one. With calamus it's possible to do a controlled experience somewhat, personally, yet with this 'new' one I wouldn't be curious what kind of damage or uncomfortable experience I might get in to. Not to mention the deadly look alike.

downwardsfromzero
#14 Posted : 5/22/2017 10:07:57 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Hemlock has purple blotches on the stems and smells of mice. When you know this, you shouldn't get it mixed up with wild carrot.