We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
shriveling during dormancy Options

smoothmonkey
#1 Posted : 12/21/2016 4:55:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello fellow flesh bodies,

I have two healthy pachanois that were recently put into winter dormancy. They both began producing pups this summer that grew for about 2 months before I put them in the garage once frost hit. They've been fine up until a few days ago, when I noticed that both of them have become severely deflated around the top 6 inches seemingly overnight. We've had some cold temps this past week, especially at night, sometimes reaching down to 8 degrees F. They have not become discolored, just shriveled. The pups though, look like they were beginning to take some frost damage, and my thinking is that the cactus was using energy to preserve the pups thus drinking all the water from the top. I have since brought them inside, to the dark basement, and given them a tiny bit of water after they warmed up.

Will they re-hydrate themselves and return to their robust beauty while in dormancy or will this happen once things warm up and they get full sunlight again? If they end up not inflating I'm taking this as a sign I am to consume them Pleased so I'm not too worried, but I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this rapid deflation?

Thank you for any and all input or advice!
-monkey Smile
असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 12/26/2016 5:17:48 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

8 °F is rather too cold for a Trichocereus. If you have room for them on a windowsill somewhere, they'll appreciate that more than a dark basement. If they're kept close to 15 °C they'll keep growing through the winter with reduced watering to keep the compost from completely drying out. That said, it sounds as if your locality gets consistently colder than mine so only use this approach if you can be sure of avoiding freezing their roots.

See also here.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

smoothmonkey
#3 Posted : 12/27/2016 6:52:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, it would appear I have made a fatal mistake in keeping them in the cold garage... They both are sadly rotting to the point I am not sure they are savable Crying or very sad

Soft, mushy, and discolored.. I guess it's time to extract.
असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 12/31/2016 2:27:48 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Extractions from mushy/rotten specimens are often highly productive - the cells have already released their contents during the process of decomposition. This also saves on boiling time. Turn your 'misfortune' around Wink Love

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

smoothmonkey
#5 Posted : 12/31/2016 5:30:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I definitely will be! Big grin

And it gives me an opportunity to invite more cacti into my home. I ended up cutting the top 14inches or so from both and stuck them in the freezer until I have a few days off to perform an extraction. The stumps may survive and they may not, they're mostly pretty soft. Either way, the bittersweet transition is proving to be more exciting than morose.
असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।