We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Reducing acidity of final brew Options

Valmar
#1 Posted : 12/11/2016 1:36:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've finally realized why I've been having lots of issues in holding down my brews long enough, and which should have been quite obvious, but whatever: too much vinegar! And also, because I've been getting heartburn. And likely, stomach inflammation.

So... what are my choices? So far, I'm considering adding a good dose of Milk of Magnesia to the final brew, as well as some sea salt, because that's also alkalizing.

Any other tips to help reduce the effects of too much acid?
“The dao that can be expressed is not the eternal Dao.”
~ Lǎozǐ

“One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.”
~ Carl Jung

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Ulim
#2 Posted : 12/11/2016 3:03:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Valmar wrote:
I've finally realized why I've been having lots of issues in holding down my brews long enough, and which should have been quite obvious, but whatever: too much vinegar! And also, because I've been getting heartburn. And likely, stomach inflammation.

So... what are my choices? So far, I'm considering adding a good dose of Milk of Magnesia to the final brew, as well as some sea salt, because that's also alkalizing.

Any other tips to help reduce the effects of too much acid?

Sea salt does nothing. Magnesia and the created Magnesium salts act as an laxative so you rather keep those away too unless you would like to change the purge from front to back Razz .

You could try replaceing the vinegar with citric acid because its less nasty to eat/drink.

The best way to get rid of the acidity is to drink water. Also you could add baking soda to the water (NaHCO3) this will neutralize the acid without being agressive to your mouth and stomach tissue.

But dont forget that this will create a lot of CO2 gas so you will burp a lot and that again can lead to purging.

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 12/12/2016 7:40:19 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Boil hard to remove excess vinegar? AFAIK, vinegar is not typically added to brews in the jungle.

Adding salt will surely make it more likely that you vomit? Ergo, neutralising with sodium bases might also be less of a good idea.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Mindlusion
#4 Posted : 12/12/2016 9:45:45 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

I always liked acetic acid in brew, tastes great. Though id only add a splash of vinegar, sometimes apple cider or kombucha vinegar, nor more than 10mls of it, then reduce.

If you added too much, you could add a bit of base to the brew, but like others mentioned that could even make it more unpalatable.

Id either try the bicarb, if you do it while hot it will be fully neutralized and the CO2 will bubble out, shouldn't be an issue.

or you could try eating some tums, which is mostly flavored CaCO3 tablets, either beforehand or afterwards, id go with before, might help with getting it down too.
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

pitubo
#5 Posted : 12/12/2016 10:15:26 PM

dysfunctional word machine

Why not simply boil the chalk (CaCO3) in the tea at the final stage? The resulting neutralized brew can be decanted from any excess chalk. The boiling will also push out any dissolved CO2.

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 12/12/2016 11:25:55 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Chalk is successfully used to raise the pH of wine, after all. Too much chalk produces a thin, insipid wine so, as Mindlusion says, leaving a hint of acidity might optimise the flavour of the brew.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

rahlii
#7 Posted : 12/29/2016 8:17:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

On the tail of my best brew yet

Acidified with citric acid and put a pinch of sodium carbonate in during reduction. dropped out the sediment for a week. Beautifully clear on the reheat, milky when cold. Low astringence. I thought it was going to be mild until I ate a mango to trip it off proper.
From where is the noise?

#8 Posted : 12/29/2016 12:37:40 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Boil hard to remove excess vinegar? AFAIK, vinegar is not typically added to brews in the jungle.

Adding salt will surely make it more likely that you vomit? Ergo, neutralising with sodium bases might also be less of a good idea.

Yeah, no need to add any form of acid for brewing. I've had plenty of very powerful brews without the need for that, aside from how much an acid added to the brew can hike up the gross-taste factor. Very happy

To get a solid experience [imo/ime] with the aya vine and the various admixtures - i've always brewed very thoroughly, typically around 8 to 9 hours. I try to go for three 3-hour boils, but sometimes I do four 2-hour boils [these long boils are only needed for the more fibrous/woody material imo]. Also, I never let the brew settle and decant. Always drink the bottom goods. Twisted Evil Big grin

Back to you keeping the brew down, I will usually brew it all down to around 3 to 4 or so oz of liquid, so I can just throw it back without having to drink a full cup of mud-water. Razz That can help with the stomach issues somewhat ime.