We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
BHO DMT?!!!? Can Butane be used as a solvent in DMT extraction? Options

downwardsfromzero
#21 Posted : 12/7/2018 10:14:22 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Tmcgee wrote:
You say you don't need an oven to remove acetone, but that is not my experience with THC. I have left an extract to sit for months and it still tasted of acetone, in the end i baked it on like 350 for at least 30 mins and made an edible. Do Not extract THC with acetone. Iso hash blows too, always leaves a flavor. Only use Ethanol or butane, unless you have access to non sulfur contaminated propane, or super critical CO2.

This is going a bit off-topic, but I might as well put this here.

THC can be extracted with acetone. Acetone pulls less chlorophyll than ethanol so it can be favourable if a 'cleaner' extract is desired.

There's a trick to it though, and it's best done with proper labware.

The main thing is to avoid evaporating down to a solid from the acetone. This can be achieved by a simple solvent transfer technique. Allow the acetone THC extract to drip into a flask of simmering ethanol, which is the boiling flask of a fractional distillation set-up. The acetone will distil off to be collected for re-use. In the boiling flask remains a solution of THC in ethanol - which, incidentally, can be dripped into hot glycerin (with good stirring) in the same distillation set-up to make an alcohol-free THC glycerite.

As far as using butane (alone) to extract DMT goes, unless the butane is used under high pressure - thereby allowing a higher operating temperature - the DMT will be of too low a solubility for this solvent to be worthwhile. Remember, DMT is practically insoluble in ice cold naphtha, and less soluble in lower MW alkanes. It would be necessary to use warm (~40°C) liquid butane inside a pressurised extraction vessel to make it worthwhile. Or, as mentioned above, pre-soaking the based plant material in a heptane or naphtha entrainer.

Just stick to Cyb's with naphtha, unless you have the apparatus already.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

KloudQ7
#22 Posted : 12/8/2018 6:11:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have extracted some high quality dabs with cold acetone, though washing it for more than a few seconds will pull alot of green. A few times I've gotten pure white crumble this way.

PREV12