We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Phytochemical characterization of the leaves of Mitragyna speciosa grown in USA Options

Godsmacker
#1 Posted : 12/3/2016 9:19:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I am currently conducting research for a term paper i'm writing on the use of Kratom to treat opiate dependence (i.e. keeping PAWS and possibly cravings at bay in former addicts to 'harder' opiates such as diacetylmorphine, hydromorphone, oxycodone, morphine, methadone, meperidine, opium etc etc.), and, whilst investigating this subject further in order to assemble an array of sources to cite throughout my paper, I chanced upon this VERY unique article which I am unable to access without paying outlandish sums of money for just a few hours' access to the full text, and was wondering if any other member here may be able to post the full text of this article on this thread for mine own reading pleasures; the title is as thus:

Phytochemical characterization of the leaves of Mitragyna speciosa grown in USA (2009)

Authors: F. León, E. Habib, J.E. Adkins, E.B. Furr, C.R. McCurdy, S.J. Cutler

Abstract

Mitragyna speciosa (Rubiaceae) has traditionally been used in the tropical regions of Asia, Africa and Indonesia as a substitute for opium. Indole alkaloids are the most common compounds that have been isolated. We investigated the constituents of the leaves of M. speciosa that was grown at the University of Mississippi. Several alkaloids were isolated, including ajmalicine, corynantheidine, isomitraphylline, mitraphylline, paynantheine, isocorynantheidine, 7-hydroxymitragynine and mitragynine, but their percentages were lower than those in a commercial Thai sample of "kratom". In addition, we isolated the flavonoid epicatechin, a saponin daucosterol, the triterpenoid saponins quinovic acid 3-O-β-D-quinovopyranoside, quinovic acid 3-O-β-D-glucopyranoside, as well as several glycoside derivatives including 1-O-feruloyl-β-D-glucopyranoside, benzyl-β-D- glucopyranoside, 3-oxo-α-ionyl-O-β-D-glucopyranoside, roseoside, vogeloside, and epivogeloside. This is the first report of the last group of compounds having been isolated from a Mitragyna species. Biological studies are currently underway to test these compounds for opioid activity.

Apart from researching kratom, I also grow it as a pet plant for ornamental and sentimental purposes; I was debating a friend of mine regarding the alkaloid content of domestically-grown kratom (most commercial-grade kratom is grown in SE Asia AFAIK), and the psychoactivity of it; she thought it wouldn't be psychoactive if grown in USA; however, in isolated bioassays, i've noticed significant opiate-ergic activity from a few fresh kratom leaves when chewed for the purpose of treating episodes of acute pain & fatigue. The text of this study would be greatly appreciated, as the full text, which would contain information crucial for settling this debate regarding the differences in the chemical composition of USA-grown vs SE Asian-farmed kratom, is rather hard to obtain and would be greatly appreciated if some special soul out there may be so kind as to share it with the community at large. I would also like to know if any other members who also cultivate kratom in the USA have conducted bioassays on their home-grown herb, and how it (subjectively) compares with commercial-grade imported kratom powder. I appreciate your time and help, and hope to find my way to the full text ASAP (or at least before this god-damned deadline comes due way too early and way too soon).

Thank you,
-God

Godsmacker attached the following image(s):
douglas adams deadlines.jpg (39kb) downloaded 20 time(s).
'"ALAS,"said the mouse, "the world is growing smaller every day. At the
beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad
when at last I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have
narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner
stands the trap that I must run into." "You only need to change your direction," said
the cat, and ate it up.' --Franz Kafka

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Godsmacker
#2 Posted : 12/3/2016 9:33:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Stupid facepalming me... I forgot all about this magical ocean of free knowledge codenamed google. I found the full text for free; it's attached to this post in the form of an MS word document.

Enjoy,
-God
'"ALAS,"said the mouse, "the world is growing smaller every day. At the
beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad
when at last I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have
narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner
stands the trap that I must run into." "You only need to change your direction," said
the cat, and ate it up.' --Franz Kafka