We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Scientists Successfully Tune Brain to Alleviate Pain Options

benzyme
#1 Posted : 11/3/2016 3:32:35 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

http://www.laboratoryequ...berid%%%26location%3dtop
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Global
#2 Posted : 11/3/2016 7:26:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

Sounds like they were using technology analogous to binaural beats.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

Ulim
#3 Posted : 11/3/2016 11:20:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Scary stuff. Im not really a friend to any operation done to the brain. It creeps me out. Glad that we are far away from ye old times where lobotomy was a thing.
Stuff like Deep brain stimulation helps but its just so wierd.
The brain is just to complicated for us.
Just look at this totally creepy to think of humans having 2 brains and thus 2 own acting "persons" in one.

dragonrider
#4 Posted : 11/3/2016 11:49:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The brain can be incredibly powerfull. I've read somewhere (don't remember where) that auto-suggestion can be nearly as powerfull as morphine. I know from experience that psychedelic's can be realy effective against pain as well, because of this auto-suggestive effect. As long as the pain is not too bad, you can just forget that it exists.

The thing with brainwaves is that basically, the lower the frequency, the lower your state of awareness tends to be. Although the brain in a wakefull state is constantly active in all frequencies from delta to gamma. But i don't know if driving a car or operating heavy machines would be a sensible thing to do in a state of heightened alpha-activity. The state is often being described as 'wakefull relaxation'.

null24
#5 Posted : 11/4/2016 3:27:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

dragonrider wrote:
. I know from experience that psychedelic's can be realy effective against pain as well, because of this auto-suggestive effect. As long as the pain is not too bad, you can just forget that it exists.

Isn't analgesia a listed effect of LSD? I had my foot caught under the wheel of a moving car once while i was on acid, tore off all the skin from the top of my foot, i couldn't feel a thing until the docs began scrubbng the wound with a brush. That was a fun ER visit.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

PsyDuckmonkey
#6 Posted : 11/4/2016 8:13:06 PM

witch

Ulim wrote:
Scary stuff. Im not really a friend to any operation done to the brain. It creeps me out. Glad that we are far away from ye old times where lobotomy was a thing.
Stuff like Deep brain stimulation helps but its just so wierd.
The brain is just to complicated for us.

You ARE aware that this is a forum about drugs that significantly change the way the brain operates...? ;D Besides, tuning with external stimuli isn't quite the same as going wild with a scalpel.

BTW, a few months ago I read similar (but cooler) results where using transcranial AC stimulation (imagine "electric shock" but with electricity so weak that there is no shock at all - the stimulation is so low-key that it doesn't trigger the action potential of neurons), they induced heightened gamma wave activity in sleeping subjects who were in their REM sleep phase, resulting in reproducible lucid dreams in each case.
Do you believe in the THIRD SUMMER OF LOVE?

benzyme
#7 Posted : 11/4/2016 8:23:16 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

I tried a binaural beat generator last night (been a fan of them for 10 years, my favorite being Gnaural) on my phone, setting a freq sweep from 9-12 hz over 15 mins, base tone 220 hz. it was a hypnotizing affair, and I felt slightly dissociated. it was not unlike iDoser's Heroin.

I wasn't even meditating, I was reading unrelated material, and focusing on that. not exactly the definition of a placebo
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Nathanial.Dread
#8 Posted : 11/4/2016 8:33:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

null24 wrote:
dragonrider wrote:
. I know from experience that psychedelic's can be realy effective against pain as well, because of this auto-suggestive effect. As long as the pain is not too bad, you can just forget that it exists.

Isn't analgesia a listed effect of LSD? I had my foot caught under the wheel of a moving car once while i was on acid, tore off all the skin from the top of my foot, i couldn't feel a thing until the docs began scribing the wound with a brush. That was a fun ER visit.

Yeah, most psychedelics reduce pain perception, although it seems like it's probably via a different mechanism than either common OTC analgesics (which are usually NSAIDs) or opiates. I've always wondered why more people haven't discussed that more, actually. My hunch is that it is similar to enhanced pain tolerance seen in meditators.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

benzyme
#9 Posted : 11/4/2016 9:14:05 PM

analytical chemist

dragonrider wrote:
As long as the pain is not too bad, you can just forget that it exists.

how do you know that the reduction of pain perceived isn't a result of endomorphin production as a response to substance P signaling?

dragonrider
#10 Posted : 11/4/2016 11:59:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
dragonrider wrote:

how do you know that the reduction of pain perceived isn't a result of endomorphin production as a response to substance P signaling?

I don't know. I just assume.

I once had taken LSD and then i had spent the whole day walking. At the end of the day, when i put out my shoes, i saw that i had some huge bleeding blisters. I was still tripping then. Only at that moment, when i actually saw the blisters, i started to feel pain.

I think that, when i didn't know yet that i even hád these blisters, i was just so distracted by the wonderfull things happening all around me that i just didn't notice any pain.

Koornut
#11 Posted : 11/5/2016 12:06:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ulim wrote:
totally creepy to think of humans having 2 brains and thus 2 own acting "persons" in one.

My last count is over 10 Twisted Evil
Inconsistency is in my nature.
The simple PHYLLODE tek

I'm just waiting for these bloody plants to grow

fathomlessness
#12 Posted : 11/6/2016 5:58:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Shocked

PsyDuckmonkey
#13 Posted : 11/6/2016 1:15:07 PM

witch

Lol. The last time I went to the streets to demand new general elections, I broke out internal security and suppressed myself, and have been governing myself as a benevolent despot ever since. Razz
Do you believe in the THIRD SUMMER OF LOVE?

Godsmacker
#14 Posted : 11/8/2016 1:52:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt0Zqo-vOFM
'"ALAS,"said the mouse, "the world is growing smaller every day. At the
beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad
when at last I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have
narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner
stands the trap that I must run into." "You only need to change your direction," said
the cat, and ate it up.' --Franz Kafka

Godsmacker
#15 Posted : 11/8/2016 1:56:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

fathomlessness wrote:

Shocked

This is also pretty cool: http://dlia.ir/Scientifi...rvous_System_/017344.pdf
beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad
when at last I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have
narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner
stands the trap that I must run into." "You only need to change your direction," said

Global
#16 Posted : 11/9/2016 12:46:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

dragonrider wrote:
benzyme wrote:
dragonrider wrote:

I once had taken LSD and then i had spent the whole day walking. At the end of the day, when i put out my shoes, i saw that i had some huge bleeding blisters. I was still tripping then. Only at that moment, when i actually saw the blisters, i started to feel pain.

I think that, when i didn't know yet that i even hád these blisters, i was just so distracted by the wonderfull things happening all around me that i just didn't notice any pain.

That happens to me quite frequently even without tripping. A mosquito bite might not be itchy until I see it. Or a cut isn't painful until I'm aware of it. I have no doubt that being exceptionally distracted aided your case as well, but I don't think LSD masks pain in any kind of conventional way. One of the worst stomach aches I've had was on LSD.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

Godsmacker
#17 Posted : 11/9/2016 2:22:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Global wrote:
dragonrider wrote:
benzyme wrote:
dragonrider wrote:

That happens to me quite frequently even without tripping. A mosquito bite might not be itchy until I see it. Or a cut isn't painful until I'm aware of it. I have no doubt that being exceptionally distracted aided your case as well, but I don't think LSD masks pain in any kind of conventional way. One of the worst stomach aches I've had was on LSD.

Stomach ache? Painful? On Acid? Big grin Very happy Big grin Laughing Surprised

Just wait until you dislocate your shoulder with a head full of 200 micrograms of LSD in the middle of a mangrove swamp, standing--nay--quivering--upon two arching prop roots with the other hand clasping a branch above, holding on for sheer life, with help kilometers away, screaming and howling and whining like a hyena with every bone in its body broken in the middle of Sahara desert, with no one to keep him company save the four vultures encircling their dinner, praying to whatever in the hell glues this universe together for dear life and liberty, for the lascivious luck to live through this train-wreck, every step taken sending white-lightning-sharp-flashes of beyond breakthrough kill-me-please grade pain, as though a scalding white-hot dagger freshly forged in the pits of Mount Doom thrusts itself at the speed of sound through my brachial plexus as I stagger, struggle, scream, cry, praying violently shouting almost incoherently for God to liberate me from this hell on Earth; then, out of the void, a brilliant white light--a brilliant pearl-colored film of each and every one of my ancestors, arms intertwined like a circuit leading up through into mine, sending a bright white infinitesimally intense ray of limitless light--limitless power--the power of all the spirits of my ancestors--all combined into one beam--an aura--of sheer ethereal energy, all of which condenses into one word and one request only: LIVE

Eyes quenched from agony, I feel this ancestral strength (or HPA overdrive--either or depending on your disposition) surge up through my spine, erupt up through my crown and continue to drive me on. Underneath it all. I felt so small. The hellish agony of each and every step felt as though the demons in the heavens above were dropping metric-ton-sized-weights upon my crippled frame. Yet Still I crawled--or really hobbled--through a football-field sized chunk of mangrove swamp and ~1/3 a mile of paved road until I reached home--help--haven. Acid amplifies pain ad infinitum IME & IMO, and I believe that nothing will ever beat opioids/opiates when it comes to breakthrough pain management. I still get frequent flashbacks of that last "Trip" to the ER each and every day of my life, accompanied by a ticklish surge--if not a trickle--of the ancestral energy chain which got me home. Yes, it is PTSD by most, if not any, means. Yes, I treat it fairly well, and have found that day to be one of the most powerful, life-changing, and Intense--if not THE most intense--physical/metaphysical experience I have ever encountered in my entire life span...

IDK about this groovy new electronic pain management system, but I sure as hell burst-out into rivers of tears of glee uncontrollably drizzling down my fried, sunburnt cheeks out of sheer happiness upon being administered 8mg of IV morphine--I did not feel so much as the slightest hint of the euphoria/glow/buzz sought-after by abusers of this drug--The tears of joy arose from the morphinan miracle of being liberated from those past 3 hours of kill-me-grade-pain vanishing into thin air within 13 seconds after administration (I was given an 8mg bolus dose upon arrival, proceeded by getting an x-ray in order to determine which kind of dislocation it was, followed up by yet another IV dose of 4mg of morphine moments before the MD popped it back into socket). The cream on the cake was that, due to the extreme breakthrough pain forcing me to huddle into fetal position crying and screaming, begging for death to liberate me from this agony, no one knew that I was on LSD; the bolus dose of morphine completely reversed the LSD-induced pupil dilation, and, by this point in this passion play, 5-6 hours post-administration of LSD, I had started to come down, and was able to maintain normal conversation (of course, the 30mg of Kadian immediately administered to me upon departure after the doctor popped my shoulder back into socket made everyone around me assume that it was just the dope bamboozling my speech, not the receding mindfucked state of acid-mind buried beneath a warm morphinan blanket, the euphoria/nodding-out manifesting shortly after the inferno froze over.)

With regards to the subject matter at hand, although I do think that it may bear promising results in future analgesic therapy, I owe an ineffable sum of gratitude to Morpheus: the God of heavenly dreams, and the poppy plant which he made in his own image and presented to humanity as a gift--man's most miraculous medicine--morphine. Yes, perhaps I am being a bit too dramatic about my defense of opioids as being the best class of analgesics on this planet which, IMO, shall never ever ever ever be replaced by any other treatment--neither electronic or any other chemical class of compounds. Yes, opiates are pain-slaying angels with barbed-tetra-pronged-hooks hidden beneath their pearly-white robes, that I shan't deny; alas, they are medicines--very precious and sacred medicines if used properly; medicine mustn't be mistreated, or misused & abused. Those who wade out too deeply into the pool will drown beneath the rip tide of an OD; please so tread with caution and use this compound ONLY WHEN ABSOLUTELY NEEDED.

TL;DR psychedelics exponentially amplify my perception of painful stimuli; I am thankful for the poppy pod for providing us with tools to avert such realms of absolute, unbearable, all-consuming, hell-on-earth kill-me-please class of prolonged episodes of breakthrough pain such as that which I had to undergo. Although I am interested in seeing where acoustic analgesia will lead us to in the future, I'm sure as hell not dumping my emergency analgesics (kratom for mild-moderate pain, discomfort & diarrhea/cough, as well as a handful of 'heavy-duty' capsules composed of 150mg professionally-prepared opium latex w/ an estimated morphine/codeine content of 20-30 percent of whole mass comingled with 1mg of clonazepam and 50mg of hydroxyzine alongside 600mg of ibuprofen; after that last "trip" to the ER, I am convinced beyond any such specter of doubt that the benefit obtained from such an analgesic cocktail in an emergency, unexpected breakthrough-pain situation far outweighs the legal risks associated with being busted with such an illicit formulation on my person) anytime soon, let alone at all. I owe an ineffable debt of gratitude to the spirit of the Poppy, and the entity who designed it--Morpheus: the God of sweet heavenly dreams.

Psychedelics can either reduce/eliminate pain, or magnify its impact/perception exponentially; unfortunately for me, I fall under the latter category.

To each to their own,
-God

Psybin
#18 Posted : 11/14/2016 5:17:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Godsmacker wrote:
Global wrote:
dragonrider wrote:
benzyme wrote:
dragonrider wrote:

Stomach ache? Painful? On Acid? Big grin Very happy Big grin Laughing Surprised

Just wait until you dislocate your shoulder with a head full of 200 micrograms of LSD in the middle of a mangrove swamp, standing--nay--quivering--upon two arching prop roots with the other hand clasping a branch above, holding on for sheer life, with help kilometers away, screaming and howling and whining like a hyena with every bone in its body broken in the middle of Sahara desert, with no one to keep him company save the four vultures encircling their dinner, praying to whatever in the hell glues this universe together for dear life and liberty, for the lascivious luck to live through this train-wreck, every step taken sending white-lightning-sharp-flashes of beyond breakthrough kill-me-please grade pain, as though a scalding white-hot dagger freshly forged in the pits of Mount Doom thrusts itself at the speed of sound through my brachial plexus as I stagger, struggle, scream, cry, praying violently shouting almost incoherently for God to liberate me from this hell on Earth; then, out of the void, a brilliant white light--a brilliant pearl-colored film of each and every one of my ancestors, arms intertwined like a circuit leading up through into mine, sending a bright white infinitesimally intense ray of limitless light--limitless power--the power of all the spirits of my ancestors--all combined into one beam--an aura--of sheer ethereal energy, all of which condenses into one word and one request only: LIVE

Eyes quenched from agony, I feel this ancestral strength (or HPA overdrive--either or depending on your disposition) surge up through my spine, erupt up through my crown and continue to drive me on. Underneath it all. I felt so small. The hellish agony of each and every step felt as though the demons in the heavens above were dropping metric-ton-sized-weights upon my crippled frame. Yet Still I crawled--or really hobbled--through a football-field sized chunk of mangrove swamp and ~1/3 a mile of paved road until I reached home--help--haven. Acid amplifies pain ad infinitum IME & IMO, and I believe that nothing will ever beat opioids/opiates when it comes to breakthrough pain management. I still get frequent flashbacks of that last "Trip" to the ER each and every day of my life, accompanied by a ticklish surge--if not a trickle--of the ancestral energy chain which got me home. Yes, it is PTSD by most, if not any, means. Yes, I treat it fairly well, and have found that day to be one of the most powerful, life-changing, and Intense--if not THE most intense--physical/metaphysical experience I have ever encountered in my entire life span...

IDK about this groovy new electronic pain management system, but I sure as hell burst-out into rivers of tears of glee uncontrollably drizzling down my fried, sunburnt cheeks out of sheer happiness upon being administered 8mg of IV morphine--I did not feel so much as the slightest hint of the euphoria/glow/buzz sought-after by abusers of this drug--The tears of joy arose from the morphinan miracle of being liberated from those past 3 hours of kill-me-grade-pain vanishing into thin air within 13 seconds after administration (I was given an 8mg bolus dose upon arrival, proceeded by getting an x-ray in order to determine which kind of dislocation it was, followed up by yet another IV dose of 4mg of morphine moments before the MD popped it back into socket). The cream on the cake was that, due to the extreme breakthrough pain forcing me to huddle into fetal position crying and screaming, begging for death to liberate me from this agony, no one knew that I was on LSD; the bolus dose of morphine completely reversed the LSD-induced pupil dilation, and, by this point in this passion play, 5-6 hours post-administration of LSD, I had started to come down, and was able to maintain normal conversation (of course, the 30mg of Kadian immediately administered to me upon departure after the doctor popped my shoulder back into socket made everyone around me assume that it was just the dope bamboozling my speech, not the receding mindfucked state of acid-mind buried beneath a warm morphinan blanket, the euphoria/nodding-out manifesting shortly after the inferno froze over.)

With regards to the subject matter at hand, although I do think that it may bear promising results in future analgesic therapy, I owe an ineffable sum of gratitude to Morpheus: the God of heavenly dreams, and the poppy plant which he made in his own image and presented to humanity as a gift--man's most miraculous medicine--morphine. Yes, perhaps I am being a bit too dramatic about my defense of opioids as being the best class of analgesics on this planet which, IMO, shall never ever ever ever be replaced by any other treatment--neither electronic or any other chemical class of compounds. Yes, opiates are pain-slaying angels with barbed-tetra-pronged-hooks hidden beneath their pearly-white robes, that I shan't deny; alas, they are medicines--very precious and sacred medicines if used properly; medicine mustn't be mistreated, or misused & abused. Those who wade out too deeply into the pool will drown beneath the rip tide of an OD; please so tread with caution and use this compound ONLY WHEN ABSOLUTELY NEEDED.

TL;DR psychedelics exponentially amplify my perception of painful stimuli; I am thankful for the poppy pod for providing us with tools to avert such realms of absolute, unbearable, all-consuming, hell-on-earth kill-me-please class of prolonged episodes of breakthrough pain such as that which I had to undergo. Although I am interested in seeing where acoustic analgesia will lead us to in the future, I'm sure as hell not dumping my emergency analgesics (kratom for mild-moderate pain, discomfort & diarrhea/cough, as well as a handful of 'heavy-duty' capsules composed of 150mg professionally-prepared opium latex w/ an estimated morphine/codeine content of 20-30 percent of whole mass comingled with 1mg of clonazepam and 50mg of hydroxyzine alongside 600mg of ibuprofen; after that last "trip" to the ER, I am convinced beyond any such specter of doubt that the benefit obtained from such an analgesic cocktail in an emergency, unexpected breakthrough-pain situation far outweighs the legal risks associated with being busted with such an illicit formulation on my person) anytime soon, let alone at all. I owe an ineffable debt of gratitude to the spirit of the Poppy, and the entity who designed it--Morpheus: the God of sweet heavenly dreams.

Psychedelics can either reduce/eliminate pain, or magnify its impact/perception exponentially; unfortunately for me, I fall under the latter category.

To each to their own,
-God

Your anecdote is one regarding acute pain, whereas the technique outlined in the OP is for treating chronic pain. This procedure is not designed to replace fast acting analgesics but rather to treat the types of pain that drugs like morphine and fentanyl do little to nothing to alleviate.

DoingKermit
#19 Posted : 11/26/2016 3:49:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That's an incredible story, Godsmacker. You explained it all very well. Was this the accident that influenced your user name?

Godsmacker
#20 Posted : 11/27/2016 3:55:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

NaH; I was just paraphrasing a prior report of mine, A Trip To The ER. I went abit overboard in my recollection, but hey, poo-tee-weet, or so it goes, right?