We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV1112131415NEXT»
Harmine, harmaline and THH from Syrian Rue. Verification and finetuning of the VDS-protocols Options

An1cca
#241 Posted : 12/2/2016 7:18:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Oh God no, the brown goo-spook again!Crying or very sad As for now, we don't know the exact reason why it sometimes appears and at other times it doens't. What we did find out was that when you stick to the experimental details in chapter 2 of VDS's paper, it stays away. So adding the ammonia slowly under stirring might be a good idea indeed. Yieldwise as well, it will surely help. Also, you could try keeping the concentrations of the reagents as similar as possible to the ones in the paper. You're so close, Ijahdan, good luckThumbs up !

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Jees
#242 Posted : 12/2/2016 2:47:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ijahdan wrote:
Thought Id try reducing some mixed alks while I wait for the harmaline to settle after reprecipitation. Dissolved in vinegar, added zinc, left for 24 hours, filtered. When I started adding ammonia, at first, white clouds formed and disappeared. I added more ammonia, stirring continuously until the precipitate stayed. Then a strange thing happened. The brown goo started to form and stick to the sides of my container and the stirring spoon.

Managed to scrape it off and get it all floating again. Added some more ammonia for luck and left to settle overnight. Ill try to attach a picture. Looks like big brown crystally goo. The alks I started with were an off white fine powder.

I had similar looking gooey crystals forming in alks which were dissolved in vinegar and left in a cold place for a few days. This happened without any addition of base.

Could it be something to do with the low temperatures in my secret lab? Close to zero at night. Anyway, Ill redissolve, reprecipitate at room temperature and try adding the ammonia more slowly this time.

Will definitely try and get hold of a microscope.

This batch you had it precipitated before with ammonia without a problem, the only difference now is that there was a reduction step in between.

First white that disappears is normal and should be like that exactly, that is a good sign that your ZnSalts go to soluble Zincate Thumbs up
Then the white that stays is the alkaloids precipitating, also very good.

If I look at that pictures it looks like brown yes, but not sticky? It looks non sticky brown, is it?
I've had some brown too before (not that much like yours) that was not sticky, I could easily remove it from the pH probe. I would consider this not a disaster.
But the real stricky-spook you just cant remove it easily because it is actually like glue, it formed a hard layer almost, now that was something else.
I'd like to know what kind of brown yours was please.

You said before that there was a lot of sodbicarb/sodcarb contamination that you removed with an acid/base (vinegar/ammonia) treatment, do you believe that all the sodbicarb/sodcarb was out? If there were still remains these might have added to the brown syndrome.

If I were you I'd just redissolve the brown in vinegar and re base with ammonia. Hopefully you get white THH because there are (quite) no zincate in the equation this time.

VDS added water in the cases that could lead to (sticky) brown syndrome, so perhaps making the solution less concentrated might help, worth trying I guess.

Keep us updated pls Thumbs up

Jees
#243 Posted : 12/2/2016 3:11:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

BTW I did some couple of A/B transitions on TUV and lo and behold the pH depression got lowered to around startpoint 7. By this one could easily start thinking harmine now, but the crystals (vessel and in-situ) still differ from harmine. Yet taste is the same as harmine, meaning nearly no taste for a harmala. This in huuge contrast to DHH which is a true pest of taste and it simply doesn't go away LOL.

I could try to reduce it (TUV) with Zn though, while the totally absence of DHH taste gives me low expectations for such to succeed.

I've essayed harmine once at 200mg and it was very clear in body and head. Stomach had no issues at all, this was so great. I could feel it's workings as a harmala alkaloid nonetheless while it was not combined with another alkaloid to check out maoi potency.

I can't wait for the analysis results. Surprised Surprised Big grin

ijahdan
#244 Posted : 12/2/2016 4:42:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jees; The pictures show the brown precipitate after soaking overnight and then the liquid decanted. This has now dried and is more like a tan coloured powder, but when it first formed it was quite sticky. I had to scrape it off the spoon and the sides of the jar. So maybe it was a mixture of crystals and goo? Maybe, as you said, some residual carbonate/bicarbonate affecting things.

Ill do another vinegar/ammonia stage and see what happens.

Taste-wise, I had the same experience as you, the harmine being almost tasteless and harmaline leaving a bitter aftertaste for ages. Thats reassuring. Looking forward to tasting the pure thh when I get round to reducing the harmaline.

An1cca
#245 Posted : 12/2/2016 8:47:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bad news guys, the 10 samples that I've sent for analysis still did not arrive. I do have most of the samples still in the freezer, so I could send them again. Let's wait one more week and keep our fingers crossed...

downwardsfromzero
#246 Posted : 12/4/2016 8:13:30 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Just a stray thought here about this TUV substance. As a (stretched) analogy, benzoquinone and hydroquinone co-precipitate from solution as a 1:1 complex (known as quinhydrone). So the idea that TUV may be a mixture of harmine and DHH is certainly not far-fetched.

Keep up the good work, peeps!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Jees
#247 Posted : 12/5/2016 7:16:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for a stretch. Without lab equipment and dito knowledge its black box symptoms, I wish Benzyme was my neighbor but then again he might have barricaded his door by now Pleased

All we can do from a kitchen perspective is having an approach that dodges the booby traps, and VDS had very likely his own fair of those before he got to that paper.
An1cca was smart to align soon with the paper, I am more the stuborn type skirting on the edges and facing the how-not-to effects here and there Laughing
But I consider it all learn-some and even better than game of thrones or any other brain deadening pulp-ish time killers.
Razz

An1cca
#248 Posted : 12/5/2016 7:40:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jees wrote:
An1cca was smart to align soon with the paper, I am more the stuborn type skirting on the edges and facing the how-not-to effects here and there Laughing

I admit, I've always been the conformist type Twisted Evil

Jees wrote:
But I consider it all learn-some and even better than game of thrones or any other brain deadening pulp-ish time killers.

And then there is that small detail where we have these timeless experiences of ineffable beauty and understanding Love ....

Seems that our alks have been taken away from us before they could reveal their true nature Crying or very sad. I add a picture in their honor...Next week I'll send some more of my baby-crystalsCool
An1cca attached the following image(s):
Samples to be analyzed - RIP.jpg (167kb) downloaded 235 time(s).

Jees
#249 Posted : 12/11/2016 11:53:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

No post = a bummer, feeling sorry for that, but in the end it is delay only, the truth will prevail eventually.

NEXINE Twisted Evil
My post #198 was about it. The pic shows brown and white nexine shards in that little plastic box, obtained from different runs on rue, the one better cleaned than the other.

I never did in situ crystallization on it so it is about time to happen. These are pictures of the brown version:

Jees attached the following image(s):
nex.01.jpg (99kb) downloaded 220 time(s).
nex.02.jpg (83kb) downloaded 222 time(s).
nex.03.jpg (92kb) downloaded 216 time(s).
nex.04.jpg (100kb) downloaded 216 time(s).
nex.05.jpg (81kb) downloaded 215 time(s).

Jees
#250 Posted : 12/11/2016 11:57:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Characterizing: two long axial feathers that are attached to some kind of a cross.

These are pics of the whiter cleaner version:
nex.a.jpg (86kb) downloaded 215 time(s).
nex.b.jpg (95kb) downloaded 214 time(s).
nex.c.jpg (71kb) downloaded 218 time(s).

Jees
#251 Posted : 12/11/2016 12:02:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^^^ The cross gets pimped at the expense of feather, more bulky overall.

I repost here now pics of DHH (Harmaline) to compare it with:

DHH.slow.jpg (94kb) downloaded 209 time(s).

Jees
#252 Posted : 12/11/2016 12:12:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I never really took much notice on a cross in DHH before, it's finer feathering camouflages the subtle cross a bit. But definitely it is the very same core structure between nexine and harmaline. They taste same too btw. They are same blood family, as in "the same" but with a twitch. Mainly falling out at complete different pH's, and nexine didn't ZN reduce as DHH did.

A veil dropped... but mystery remains...

Jees
#253 Posted : 12/11/2016 12:50:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Intermezzo Interludium

This sequence is harmala crystals that dry out on the glass.
This is not relative to the OP actually but just for meeting crystals Drool
It's shape shifters Shocked
Again indications that the setting plays a huge role in crystal form.

dry.01.jpg (90kb) downloaded 202 time(s).
dry.02.jpg (80kb) downloaded 200 time(s).
dry.03.jpg (89kb) downloaded 197 time(s).
dry.04.jpg (94kb) downloaded 197 time(s).

Jees
#254 Posted : 12/11/2016 3:24:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Some extract of Banisteriopsis Muricata got in situ crystallized. It looks like all harmine according to our pictures a la system VDS. If we consider Caapi as a reference for harmine, then this looks re-assuring for our works here, these vine crystals appear as an out of the book harmine.

No THH bolders? The batch wasn't boiled, I believe it was a muriatic acid cold water extraction. If boiling vine adds to formation of THH (this is an existing hypothesis) then it might make sense to fail on them here in CWE.
muricata.01.jpg (91kb) downloaded 187 time(s).
muricata.02.jpg (95kb) downloaded 186 time(s).

An1cca
#255 Posted : 12/12/2016 2:22:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jummie! Love this research, Jees!Love It's so beautiful down among the microcrystals.....

It's difficult to believe that Nexine and DHH are not the same. But as you say, if it can't be reduced bij Zn...??Confused

Taking pictures of in situ recrystallized caapi-extracts might be a (very crude but low-effort) qualitative and semi-quantitative method of analysis. Good thinking of you to introduce it here! And what would a brew look like..?

I'm planning on resending the samples later on this week (quite busy at the moment). Keep up the good work!

Jees
#256 Posted : 12/12/2016 3:53:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

An1cca wrote:
...It's difficult to believe that Nexine and DHH are not the same. But as you say, if it can't be reduced bij Zn...??Confused ...

I would love to debunk nexine as DHH, and TUV as harmine, so that would simplify things much more, and all would boil down to my very own unpolished method spin offs and bothering you guys for nothing.

Agenda:
* I'm going to try Zn reduce nexine once more, there was only one attempt so far;
* my recent batch of ongoing rue extracts has only seen pH 10 as highest, expectations are to not encounter nexine anymore. It's now in the 3rd A/B cycle, then going to manske like hell.

If nexine and TUV has learned us something so far: crystal growth is a very sensitive balance, things can skew it rapidly. Without VDS and you (An1cca) I would have been lost, rigorous "diet" of influencing parameters is mandatory.

Thanks for the support Wink

downwardsfromzero
#257 Posted : 12/12/2016 7:52:14 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Looking back at post #5
endlessness wrote:
[...]
Also pretty much anyone here could use TLC to test their own extractions/separations and not just depend on theory. Would be nice to get more tests from different people, and also if the author would use some other method apart from melting point and looking at the crystal structure.
[...]

I didn't want to search though the whole of this thread (sorry), and although I might foggily recall seeing a bit of TLC take place, did the 'nexine' and 'TUV' ever get tested via TLC?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

An1cca
#258 Posted : 12/12/2016 8:52:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nope, no TLC-expertise here...Embarrased

Would surely help a lot, though!

downwardsfromzero
#259 Posted : 12/12/2016 11:43:25 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I wouldn't say TLC required excessive expertise. Looking at the meticulousness of execution here, any efforts made would likely be most informative. It will be a while before I get anywhere near that stage myself, so I wanted to offer you those words of encouragement!

Jees
#260 Posted : 12/14/2016 3:08:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
I wouldn't say TLC required excessive expertise... I wanted to offer you those words of encouragement!

Thanks for that, I'm going to dig into it.

A second attempt to Zn reduce nexine, these pics are right after the vinegar and Zn got in.
The first two are the archetypes, the third pic illustrates that there are a bunch of deviations of the archetypes like here the middle cross is comparatively under developed. Sometimes a cross-leg develops as another feather leg. Then there are a bunch of broken up archetypes etc. It is a challenge and a sport to find the archetype and then realize all the others are parts or modifications/deviations of that archetype.

Working with the crystals is dangerous because it is very addicting Twisted Evil
Remember that I failed til the point of discouragement before I got to a proper in situ crystallization. I had to know where to end to get there, I could never done that on my own without the paved path I gratefully had here. This is not to discourage people here, many things in life are like that, like making an extraction etc. Just want to say that the feeling of reaching success is priceless. Before I fall into sleep, those crystal forms are imprinted somehow and start to tune the vibe of being, if you let it Pleased
BZn.01.jpg (46kb) downloaded 132 time(s).
BZn.02.jpg (42kb) downloaded 131 time(s).
BZn.03.jpg (49kb) downloaded 131 time(s).

«PREV1112131415NEXT»