We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV345
Thoughts on Feminism Options

PH0Man
#81 Posted : 7/27/2016 6:05:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ufostrahlen wrote:
PH0Man wrote:
Get into an argument with one of them and they'll have you labelled as problematic in 3 minutes. After 6 minutes, you'll probably be subject to a crescendo of insults, and if you dare surpass 10 minutes one of you will be in tears.

Really? Why should I be in tears if I speak from the heart? Maybe at a point I just walk away and sort my priorities. I can live with labels.

That would indeed be the most desirable outcome

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Praxis.
#82 Posted : 7/27/2016 7:10:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The only people here I see throwing around insults are you and the others who find it ok to generalize an entire social movement. Which is funny, considering the premise of your argument seems to be that it's offensive to generalize all men.

Many people here who identify as feminists have been extremely patient trying to talk through these issues in a respectful way, and have stated repeatedly that the goal of feminism is to identify and challenge negative patterns in our society, not to generalize all men as ignorant pigs. I guess it's just a coincidence that a lot of men react like ignorant pigs when asked to do some challenging self reflection.

Honestly, what else did you seriously hope to get out of this thread, if not just to bash on a group of people you've already made up your mind about? You got data, personal experiences, and several different feminist perspectives. I'm sorry your feelings got hurt because someone raised their voice at you. Really, I am. But the issues we're talking about are bigger than your feelings. When you come here asking a question, the least you can do is be respectful to the people who've been kind enough to answer.

Confused
"Consciousness grows in spirals." --George L. Jackson

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...
But first, are you experienced?

PH0Man
#83 Posted : 7/27/2016 7:17:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Praxis. wrote:
The only people here I see throwing around insults are you and the others who find it ok to generalize an entire social movement. Which is funny, considering the premise of your argument seems to be that it's offensive to generalize all men.

Praxis, I very specifically said in all my comments "certain members of the third wave", being careful not to lump all feminists together. I am a feminist, I like feminists, but there's nevertheless a significant minority within the third wave that are ignorant and abusive, which is a phenomenon I'm unaware of in the first and second waves. I think would be could to point out that they are a radical minority, and not let their actions and way of acting influence the entire feminist movement in my generation (the social media generation), where these abusive types are exceedingly active.

Praxis.
#84 Posted : 7/27/2016 7:40:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

PH0Man wrote:
Praxis. wrote:

Praxis, I very specifically said in all my comments "certain members of the third wave", being careful not to lump all feminists together. I am a feminist, I like feminists, but there's nevertheless a significant minority within the third wave that are ignorant and abusive, which is a phenomenon I'm unaware of in the first and second waves.

A minority. Shitty people are everywhere, that's why we don't make generalizations--or everything and everybody would be awful. If you support the 1st and 2nd generations, it should be obvious that the 3rd wave is still fighting many of the same battles. But as does everything else, they've evolved. Their analysis is more nuanced, and more relevant to many who were left out of previous feminist generations. No social movement has been popular at its peak, and in virtually every case they've been dismissed as "too aggressive" or "divisive." That has always been the instinctual reaction of those who we know, in retrospect, to have been on the wrong side of history.

They said the same thing about suffrage and work opportunities for women, they said the same thing about sexual liberation and reproductive rights, they said the same thing about black people's right to vote, they said the same thing about desegregation, they said the same thing about minimum wage and child labor laws, they said the same thing about a 40hr work week, the right to a weekend and paid vacation, they said the same thing about blues, rock and roll, hip hop, psychedelics, and just about everything that's decent in the world.
"Consciousness grows in spirals." --George L. Jackson

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...
But first, are you experienced?

The Traveler
#85 Posted : 7/27/2016 9:33:13 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Praxis. wrote:
PH0Man wrote:
Praxis. wrote:

Praxis, I very specifically said in all my comments "certain members of the third wave", being careful not to lump all feminists together. I am a feminist, I like feminists, but there's nevertheless a significant minority within the third wave that are ignorant and abusive, which is a phenomenon I'm unaware of in the first and second waves.

A minority. Shitty people are everywhere, that's why we don't make generalizations--or everything and everybody would be awful. If you support the 1st and 2nd generations, it should be obvious that the 3rd wave is still fighting many of the same battles. But as does everything else, they've evolved. Their analysis is more nuanced, and more relevant to many who were left out of previous feminist generations. No social movement has been popular at its peak, and in virtually every case they've been dismissed as "too aggressive" or "divisive." That has always been the instinctual reaction of those who we know, in retrospect, to have been on the wrong side of history.

They said the same thing about suffrage and work opportunities for women, they said the same thing about sexual liberation and reproductive rights, they said the same thing about black people's right to vote, they said the same thing about desegregation, they said the same thing about minimum wage and child labor laws, they said the same thing about a 40hr work week, the right to a weekend and paid vacation, they said the same thing about blues, rock and roll, hip hop, psychedelics, and just about everything that's decent in the world.

And with this realistic post we can conclude this ugly thread.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

«PREV345