We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
I finally got a mass spec Options

benzyme
#1 Posted : 7/7/2016 7:52:07 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

I've been talking about it for about 5 years, and am going to pull the trigger on a thermo lcq advantage, just working out the logistics. stay tuned..
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Psilosopher?
#2 Posted : 7/7/2016 8:05:26 AM

Don't Panic

WOOOOOOOOO!

WOOOOOOOOO!

WOOOOOOOOO!
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

benzyme
#3 Posted : 7/7/2016 8:08:09 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Cool

very stoked. contacted my mentor to get advice, he said go for it. I trained on a similar instrument.
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Psilosopher?
#4 Posted : 7/7/2016 8:11:37 AM

Don't Panic

Is it a personal machine? Or one for work?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

benzyme
#5 Posted : 7/7/2016 8:13:38 AM

analytical chemist

personal. going to start a business.
my house has solar panels, the sun will power the business.

Ufostrahlen
#6 Posted : 7/7/2016 8:13:54 AM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

Congrats! Hooray for exact chemistry. Thumbs up
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

benzyme
#7 Posted : 7/7/2016 8:17:41 AM

analytical chemist

thanks.

this is going to consume much of my free time, between supercritical fluid extractions

#8 Posted : 7/7/2016 9:52:16 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Cool Twisted Evil

Orbiting
#9 Posted : 7/7/2016 1:01:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
thanks.

this is going to consume much of my free time, between supercritical fluid extractions

Be sure to tell us more Big grin Big grin

NotTwo
#10 Posted : 7/7/2016 1:55:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I am jealous! I can't imagine that was cheap! Was it brand new? I look through the catalogues for equipment I'd like and always groan at the prices. I'm never going to get that lab of my dreams, Sasha Shulgin style Big grin

May you have much fun with it Thumbs up

In all of reality there are not two. There is just the one thing. And I am that.

benzyme
#11 Posted : 7/7/2016 2:34:51 PM

analytical chemist

thanks, I sure will.
it's about 14 years old, from a university. i'm dropping around $5K, about the price of a modest used car from a private owner.
new mass specs are around the price of a new bentley.

brilliantlydim
#12 Posted : 7/7/2016 8:55:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Congrats. That sounds pretty wicked.

Jees
#13 Posted : 7/7/2016 10:10:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ehud wrote:
Congrats. That sounds pretty wicked.
Yes sounds impressive (not my area of knowledge though), I hope it has not too large operating costs.

Koornut
#14 Posted : 7/7/2016 10:55:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So what address can I post the acacia specimens I find?
Inconsistency is in my nature.
The simple PHYLLODE tek

I'm just waiting for these bloody plants to grow

benzyme
#15 Posted : 7/8/2016 3:15:38 AM

analytical chemist

soon.

I paid in full today, should arrive here at my work by next week (shipping was $100 cheaper to a commercial business).
I need to buy tuning calibrators and reserpine, and argon, nitrogen, and helium cylinders.

once I'm all set up, I estimate pricing to be ~0.05 BTC per test.

brilliantlydim
#16 Posted : 7/8/2016 11:05:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
soon.

I paid in full today, should arrive here at my work by next week (shipping was $100 cheaper to a commercial business).
I need to buy tuning calibrators and reserpine, and argon, nitrogen, and helium cylinders.

Sounds reasonable.

In NA?

benzyme
#17 Posted : 7/9/2016 4:06:25 AM

analytical chemist

yes.

I've been corresponding with the mass spec guru who trained me, to ask specifics on the setup.
It looks like operation/maintenance costs won't be too high after all. I do need to rent ultrahigh purity helium, which will last forever, and nitrogen, no argon. mobile phase will be 0.1% formic acid, prepared from 18.2 MΩ·cm water obtained from a
purifier at work. with a flow rate of 5uL/min, a 1mL syringe may last about 300 min. I ordered a 25mL syringe.

Ufostrahlen
#18 Posted : 7/9/2016 1:04:04 PM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

benzyme wrote:

Maybe think about accepting cash in Monero, or at least use it, when cashing out. Not sure if the BTC tumblers are that LEO-proof.
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

benzyme
#19 Posted : 7/12/2016 7:27:48 AM

analytical chemist

ok..
it shipped out today.
*rubs hands*

so excited. this machine is a slightly newer version of the one I trained on, doing tests on harmala extracts, psilocybin, and brach samples. Going to follow similar methods, using fused silica capillary and PEEK tubing. Tested my syringe pump with my new hamilton fitted with a syringe filter, coupled to 20 micron i.d. capillary, and it runs like a champ. All I need now is the gas cylinders, and standard and calibration solution.

after a 5 year hiatus, I still remember everything. just like riding a very technical bike.

Psilociraptor
#20 Posted : 7/12/2016 3:08:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hooray for citizen science! I'm tempted to accumulate some bio lab wear myself over time. But those prices! I'm surprised you could get a mass spec for 5k, that seems like a nice deal. So what types of samples are you interested in looking at?

Edit: Nevermind, i see now. Looking forward to it!

123NEXT»