We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Rats free each other from cages, then share chocolate intended to distract them Options

Valmar
#1 Posted : 7/3/2016 1:25:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Link:
http://www.nature.com/ne...-other-from-cages-1.9603

Excerpt:
Quote:

Rats, often anthropomorphized as greedy and selfish, may not be the callous, cartoon villains they are sometimes made out to be. A paper published today in Science demonstrates that the rodents will liberate trapped cage-mates — even when they have nothing to gain1.

There is a growing body of research showing that animals respond to the emotions of others. But it wasn't certain whether rats could suppress their own distress in order to aid another rat.

Well, while I'm personally surprised that studies are even needed to show that "animals respond to the emotions of others", when I thought it should be blatantly obvious to any carefully observant thinkers, I guess it is necessary in today's crazy, materialistic western society in general.

Thoughts? Smile
“The dao that can be expressed is not the eternal Dao.”
~ Lǎozǐ

“One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.”
~ Carl Jung

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Ufostrahlen
#2 Posted : 7/3/2016 7:37:52 PM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

Somebody should do LD50 tests with animal researchers. Not me, as I treasure my karma, but they deserve it. Maybe some alien gods? Pretty please? Let them taste their own medicine.
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

null24
#3 Posted : 7/3/2016 10:26:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Quote:
Well, while I'm personally surprised that studies are even needed to show that "animals respond to the emotions of others",

You shouldn't be surprised. While simple observation of animal behavior will show communication and various subtle interaction, im pretty sure the majority of people don't consider them to have much if any cognitive ability. It's unfortunate and small minded, yes, maybe studies like this could change those perceptions?
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Valmar
#4 Posted : 7/4/2016 12:21:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

null24 wrote:

It's unfortunate and small minded, yes, maybe studies like this could change those perceptions?

That's what I meant by it being necessary... and maybe not just in western society, but all human societies as a whole.
~ Lǎozǐ

“One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.”
~ Carl Jung

Valmar
#5 Posted : 7/4/2016 12:24:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ufostrahlen wrote:

Somebody should do LD50 tests with animal researchers. Not me, as I treasure my karma, but they deserve it. Maybe some alien gods? Pretty please? Let them taste their own medicine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esi9RUWWtks
~ Lǎozǐ

~ Carl Jung