We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123
Do you believe in karma? Options

entheogenic-gnosis
#41 Posted : 7/1/2016 5:02:53 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Sherlockian_Holmes wrote:
entheogenic-gnosis wrote:
Quote:
Sherlockian_Holmes wrote:
It is also not true that there is no exit from suffering. The whole Noble Eightfold Path or the Eight Limbs of Yoga, or the many, many other spiritual paths work on exactly that problem. The Path to the cessation of suffering.

I have always thought it was strange that the first Nobel truth basically says "you can not avoid suffering" while the last Nobel truth states that "suffering can be avoided through the 8-fold path"

...and while this is accurate, these are true statements, I have always just thought it sounded strange on the surface. I mean when you dig into these concepts it all makes perfect sense, but on the surface it looks funny.

Four Noble Truths
1. Suffering exists
2. Suffering arises from attachment to desires
3. Suffering ceases when attachment to desire ceases
4. Freedom from suffering is possible by practicing the Eightfold Path

Remember that these are translations. I think sometimes dukkha is better translated as unsatisfactoriness. This is perhaps a better explanation of the Four Noble Truths:

1. Dukkha, "incapable of satisfying," painful. Life in this "mundane world," with its craving and clinging to impermanent states and things, is dukkha, unsatisfactory and painful.

2. Samudaya, the origination or arising of dukkha. Dukkha, and repeated life in this world, arises with taṇhā, "thirst," craving for and clinging to these impermanent states and things. This craving and clinging produces karma which leads to renewed becoming, keeping us trapped in rebirth and renewed dissatisfaction.

3. Niroda, the cessation of dukkha. By stopping this craving and clinging nirvana is attained, no more karma is produced, and rebirth and dissatisfaction will no longer arise again.

4. Magga, the path to the cessation of, or liberation from dukkha. By following the Noble Eightfold Path, restraining oneself, cultivating discipline, and practicing mindfulness and meditation, craving and clinging will be stopped, and rebirth and dissatisfaction are ended.

There will always be suffering/stress/unsatisfactoriness in impermanent things. Desires are part of the ego, and the ego is a raging fire that constantly wants wood to feed itself. There is no limit for how big the ego can become, so that's why your desires will never bring fulfillment. You can never put out a fire by feeding it wood.

Only by realizing the dharmakaya is the Deathless found.

In the Buddha's words, the Four Noble Truths stated thus:

Now this, bhikkhus, is the noble truth of suffering: birth is suffering, aging is suffering, illness is suffering, death is suffering; union with what is displeasing is suffering; separation from what is pleasing is suffering; not to get what one wants is suffering; in brief, the five aggregates subject to clinging are suffering.

Now this, bhikkhus, is the noble truth of the origin of suffering: it is this craving which leads to re-becoming, accompanied by delight and lust, seeking delight here and there; that is, craving for sensual pleasures, craving for becoming, craving for disbecoming.

Now this, bhikkhus, is the noble truth of the cessation of suffering: it is the remainderless fading away and cessation of that same craving, the giving up and relinquishing of it, freedom from it, non-reliance on it.

Now this, bhikkhus, is the noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of suffering: it is this noble eightfold path; that is, right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration.

That was a good explanation, thanks.

I understand what was meant, and it does make sense to me, I have always just thought it seemed funny on the surface, I mean when you read into it, or when it's explained as you have explained it above it becomes obvious what was trying to be said, though just on the surface I have always thought it looked funny.

-eg

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Another
#42 Posted : 7/1/2016 6:20:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

upwaysidedown wrote:
Another wrote:

Thank you ☺
I like your answer and signature!
My belief is a little different though. I believe that the reigning force on this planet is chaos and that what happens has to do with past actions, but they happen without any meaning what so ever.

If you believe past actions determine your experience, then they will. So I'm not disagreeing with you.

And others believe they cannot have happiness because the have caused negative things in the past or in a past life. I am sure this will prevent them being happy.

Limiting beliefs will limit.

Hi!
Yes, we set the limits by choosing what to believe. If I believe that I deserve happiness then it will make me feel a lot better for sure Smile
So I'm with you on that page.
I do believe that things happen because of past actions, because nothing can come from nothing. Or can it? Wink

But, that they happen with a higher meaning i do not believe.
Don't believe everything you think.

entheogenic-gnosis
#43 Posted : 7/2/2016 12:57:53 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Another wrote:
upwaysidedown wrote:
[quote=Another]
Thank you ☺
My belief is a little different though. I believe that the reigning force on this planet is chaos and that what happens has to do with past actions, but they happen without any meaning what so ever.

If you believe past actions determine your experience, then they will. So I'm not disagreeing with you.

And others believe they cannot have happiness because the have caused negative things in the past or in a past life. I am sure this will prevent them being happy.

There are limits which exist whether we choose to believe them or not...

Your belief is powerful, but its not the determining factor regarding the limitations and parameters of your environment, right? I mean, if it were, than my environment would be the way I believe it should be, right?

-eg

nen888
#44 Posted : 7/2/2016 1:46:03 PM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

^
Quote:
...if it were, than my environment would be the way I believe it should be, right?

...some would argue this is in fact the case entheogenic-gnosis Smile

Another..regarding "nothing from nothing"..it's worth noting that the Bhagavad Gita says energy/matter (prakriti) has always existed (no beginning, in other words, or end)

keep on thread, i'll keep out of it now..

upwaysidedown
#45 Posted : 7/2/2016 3:18:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Your belief is powerful, but its not the determining factor regarding the limitations and parameters of your environment, right? I mean, if it were, than my environment would be the way I believe it should be, right?

I am not so sure there are any limits that we do not self-enforce. It certainly feels like there are physical limits and rules, but its hard to say that these may not be just based on expectation. If you have ever played a game you will know it works best if you stick to the rules, and its not so good when you don't so we do love these rules.

And certainly from a Karma point of view, you could say your beliefs are based on your past actions - or you past actions are indicative of your beliefs. But we offer ourselves the ability to change those beliefs all the time, but do we grab them?

Personally I tend to shy away from Buddhism anyhow, although ancient and showing certain sparks of great understanding of the inner self, I disagree that my goal is to cease to be playing this game, or that this game is "suffering", but then if I was ready to leave I would not be here!
I speak as if it were fact, but indeed this is just the insane ramblings of my ego - but my inner self seems to be nodding.

Another
#46 Posted : 7/2/2016 3:26:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

nen888 wrote:
^
Quote:
...if it were, than my environment would be the way I believe it should be, right?

...some would argue this is in fact the case entheogenic-gnosis Smile

Another..regarding "nothing from nothing"..it's worth noting that the Bhagavad Gita says energy/matter (prakriti) has always existed (no beginning, in other words, or end)

keep on thread, i'll keep out of it now..

Yes, I was re reading my last post and I noticed how boring and 'scientific' it sounded.
Energy is very interesting, since I encounter lots of different energies in all my journeys. This is also why I consider hyperspace to be conscious energy.

Another thing that sprung to mind in relation to my 'nothing from nothing' is the Big Bang theory which has always been bugging me! The really interesting part is not that it happened, but WHY it happened. From nothingness, for no reason what so ever... and Bang- creation! Shocked

This does contradict my nothing from nothing, that is also why I safety- added a "or can it".

Another
#47 Posted : 7/2/2016 3:34:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Another wrote:
upwaysidedown wrote:
[quote=Another]
Thank you ☺

-eg

A really interesting point there Smile
I will be digesting it for a while and come back with an answer when I have given it some serious thought.

Another
#48 Posted : 7/4/2016 10:43:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Isn't your environment the way you believe it is entheogenic-gnosis?
Untill you are presented with a new perspective? Smile
Then you will have a new outlook on how things are, untill you experience something that alters your perspective once again... right?

Hey just discovered that Ive been promoted!

Thank you all Very happy

Final Incarnate
#49 Posted : 8/16/2016 8:47:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Final Incarnate is an RPG Character in Terra's Terra . Everything this character has done or does is part of an RPG Story

PREV123