We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
R.E. schultes lists plants used for "cimora" Options

entheogenic-gnosis
#1 Posted : 6/16/2016 4:23:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Schultes golden guide to hallucinogenic plants was published in 1976, yet in some cases no new information has been collected regarding some of these plants, and I'm always finding points of interest every time I review this classic in ethnobotanical literature. In this case I was reviewing R.E.S's listed trichocereus cacti brew admixture plants.

Quote:
Although cimora is often made from San Pedro alone, several field researchers indicate that a variety of other plants may sometimes be added to the brew. These include the cactus Neoraimondia macrostibas, an Andean species the chemistry of which has not yet been determined; the shrub Pedilanthus tithymaloides of the castor oil family; and the campanulaceous Isotoma longiflora. All these plants may have biodynamic constituents. On occasion, other more obviously potent plants are added - Datura, for example.
https://www.erowid.org/l...den_guide/g111-120.shtml

Golden Guide: Hallucinogenic Plants ; R.E. Schultes

I have used the term "cimora" to refer to brewed preperations of trichocereus cacti for quite some time now, and this is appropriate nomenclature, however the term can also refer to decoctions brewed from several plant species with trichocereus cacti as the primary botanical ingredient.

When exploring these potential admixture plants I was intrigued and a little bit put off, I could not imagine why they would want to use these admixtures in combination with mescaline, which is a near perfect entheogen in its own right...

Quote:
Hippobroma longiflora (madamfate,[1] also called Star of Bethlehem, not to be confused with other species by that name) is a flowering plant in the Campanulaceae family. It is endemic to the West Indies, but has become naturalized across the American tropics and Oceania.[2]

It is notable for its concentrations of two pyridine alkaloids: lobeline and nicotine. The effects of nicotine and lobeline are quite similar, with psychoactive effects at small dosages and with unpleasant effects including vomiting, muscle paralysis, and trembling at higher dosages.[3] For this reason, H. longiflora (and its various synonyms) is often referenced for both its toxicity and its ethnobotanical uses.
-Wikipedia

nicotine appears in south American shamanism quite frequently, on its own, such as smoked tobacco and petunias, or brewed into ayahuasca or cimora via several plant sources.

I have never been a fan of nicotine containing plants in my brews, it introduces a level of toxicity and risk which I am not comfortable with. I have seen smoked tobacco used in ceremony, being blown three times over the top if brews, and in means similar to this, which I am not in opposition to in any way, though I don't use nicotine containing plants or smoked tobacco in my own personal practice.

So, let's look into lobeline:

Quote:
Lobeline is an alkaloid found in "Indian tobacco" (Lobelia inflata), "Devil's tobacco" (Lobelia tupa), "cardinal flower" (Lobelia cardinalis), "great lobelia" (Lobelia siphilitica), and Hippobroma longiflora. Additionally, it is also found in Lobelia chinensis. In its pure form it is a white amorphous powder which is freely soluble in water.

Lobeline has multiple mechanisms of action, acting as a VMAT2 ligand,[8][9][10] which stimulates dopamine release to a moderate extent when administered alone, but reduces the dopamine release caused by methamphetamine.[11][12] It also inhibits the reuptake of dopamine and serotonin,[13] and acts as a mixed agonist–antagonist at nicotinic acetylcholine receptors[14][15] to which it binds at the subunit interfaces of the extracellular domain.[16] It is also an antagonist at μ-opioid receptors.
-Wikipedia

Next botanical admixture plant on the list:

Quote:
Euphorbia tithymaloides is a perennial succulent spurge.[1] An erect shrub,[2] the plant is also known by the scientific name Pedilanthus tithymaloides. However, the genus Pedilanthus has been submerged into the genus Euphorbia, and is more correctly known by its new name (Euphorbia tithymaloides).[3][4]

Euphorbia tithymaloides has a large number of household names used by gardeners and the public. Among them are redbird flower,[5] devil's-backbone,[6] buck-thorn, cimora misha, christmas candle, fiddle flower, ipecacuahana, Jacob's ladder, Japanese poinsettia, Jew's slipper, Jewbush, milk-hedge, myrtle-leaved spurge, Padus-leaved clipper plant, red slipper spurge, redbird cactus, slipper flower, slipper plant, slipper spurge, timora misha, and zig-zag plant.[4][7][8] In other parts of the world, it is known as gin-ryu (Japan); pokok lipan and penawar lipan (Indonesia); airi, baire, and agia (India); aperejo (Yoruba); sapatinho do diabo (Brazil); itamo real (Puerto Rico); pantoufle (France); and zapatilla del diablo (Mexico).[9][10]

The roots, stems, and leaves of the plant are known to be toxic.[4][18] These parts of the plant contain euphorbol (a complex terpene) and other diterpene esters.[4][18] These are also known carcinogens.[4][18] The plant's leaves and stems also contain beta-sitosterol, cycloartenone, octacosanol, and oxime, all of which have known medicinal as well as toxic properties.[20]

Even minor amounts (a few drops) of the juice of the Euphorbia tithymaloides root can irritate mucosal membranes.[18] When ingested, the irritation of the mucosal membranes of the stomach and intestines will cause nausea and vomiting.[4][18] Topical application causes skin irritation, inflammation, and even blisters.[4][18] If introduced topically to the eye, severe pain, keratoconjunctivitis, and reduced visual actuity occur.[4][18] Ingesting even a few seeds can cause violent and persistent vomiting and extreme diarrhea.[18]

If latex or root juice gets on the skin, the victim should immediately wash with soap and warm water.[18] If latex or juice gets in the eye, continuous rinsing with fresh water should be the first course of action.[18] Topical steroids are indicated for skin or eye contact.[18] Intravenous fluids are often administered to counteract the fluid loss due to vomiting and diarrhea.[18]

In Peru, the plant is known as "cimora misha," "timora misha," or "planta magica." It is sometimes added to drinks made from mescaline-containing Trichocereus cacti (although Euphorbia tithymaloides has no known psychoactive properties)
-Wikipedia

Next plant on the list was Neoraimondia macrostibas, keeper trout's cactus chemistry by species lists this cactus as not containing alkaloids, but possibly containing hydrocarbons of other sorts which may be pharmocologically active, he also states that more research is needed. As far as finding anything else regarding this species online, almost nothing of value exists
http://www.llifle.com/En...Neoraimondia_macrostibas
This was the best link I could locate on the topic.

Next plant admixture listed were datura species, these plants contain tropane alkaloids such as Scopolamine and atropine, these are anti-cholinergic Deliriants, which exert very little pleasant effects.

I have taken datura, belladonna, brugmansia, and other plants containing these tropane alkaloids, and have never enjoyed it, it's not that I did not gain anything from it, these experiences actually had deep meaning when recalling and interpreting them...smoking cigarettes that are not there, urinary retention, restlessness, and delirium make up the majority of the effects, but there is also the phenomena if talking to people who are nit there and living out events that never happened, and in some of my experiences I was able to talked to deceased people I had known, as well as living people, and it's here where there was some benefit to the ordeal, which is never pleasant.

I can't say that I would be willing to experiment with any of these admixture plants, yet I am curious as what those who do use these plants are receiving from it, and as to how they are preparing these mixture "cimora" brews.

-eg

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Chan
#2 Posted : 6/16/2016 4:38:34 PM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Isn't the problem with any sort of cactus brew the inevitable slimy texture?

I remember seeing a documentary, which included a sequence shot by a lake somewhere high in the Peruvian Andes, on a miserable cloudy day. It was a lengthy hike/pilgrimage up to this lake, with Christian hymns & prayers and such, and people were slurping this San Pedro-based brew/mucus, but as many were unable to control their gagging, the maestro offered them an alternative, which was to snort it up their nostrils instead...might this have been cimora?

And then they all got dunked in the icy lake!

Anyway, It made a typical ayahuasca ceremony look like the teddy bears' picnic! Sometimes, there's a reason things stay obscure... Sick

“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

kerelsk
#3 Posted : 6/16/2016 5:13:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chan, I've made some cactus brew that was not slimy in texture and actually somewhat tasty, in a bitter way. It had a slightly viscous taste, but mostly bitter/green watery taste. Working with a hundred dry grams of ayahuasca vine is much more viscous by the end where concentration of alkaloids is more important. That is, with ayahuasca I find you need a big hit of the alkaloids all at once.

The cactus was sliced and cubed, maybe 1cm x 1cm cubes, and then simply boiled in acidified water, and reduced to 3 or 4 cups. I was following some advice given by Dale Pendell in Pharmako/gnosis, where he seems to imply the flesh doesn't need too much processing to allow the alkaloids to come out.

Dale Pendell wrote:
Chop or grate the cactus like zucchini for a souffle. The finer the better. [...] Simmer your zucchini until it is well-cooked. I used to do this for several hours, but I no longer think that is necessary. Strain off the water and repeat. [...] How far to evaporate down the liquid is a matter of taste, in the literal sense.

dreamer042
#4 Posted : 6/16/2016 7:40:41 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

kerelsk wrote:
the flesh doesn't need too much processing to allow the alkaloids to come out.

This has been my experience as well.

You'll notice in this thread, that the cook is performed for only a short time.

You'll also notice the best results are obtained from shorter boils and minimal agitation in this tek.

I also noticed when drinking in ceremony in the tipi that the cactus was was left whole and brewed much like green tea wherein warm water was poured over the peices into the pitcher from which the tea was served. The tea was quite palatable and potent without any prolonged boils or concentration.

Unlike aya, it seems as though extended boils and concentration are unnecessary and perhaps even undesirable when preparing cactus.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Chan
#5 Posted : 6/17/2016 7:05:26 AM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Kerelsk/Dreamer

Thanks for the info! Will definitely try those out when I finally get the chance...Thumbs up
“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

entheogenic-gnosis
#6 Posted : 6/17/2016 11:49:25 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Chan wrote:
Isn't the problem with any sort of cactus brew the inevitable slimy texture?

I remember seeing a documentary, which included a sequence shot by a lake somewhere high in the Peruvian Andes, on a miserable cloudy day. It was a lengthy hike/pilgrimage up to this lake, with Christian hymns & prayers and such, and people were slurping this San Pedro-based brew/mucus, but as many were unable to control their gagging, the maestro offered them an alternative, which was to snort it up their nostrils instead...might this have been cimora?

And then they all got dunked in the icy lake!

Anyway, It made a typical ayahuasca ceremony look like the teddy bears' picnic! Sometimes, there's a reason things stay obscure... Sick

Cimora is a brew, it is trichocereus cacti based.

As for the snuff, who knows, could have been Maquira sclerophylla based, or virola resin based, or Anadenanthera seed based, or something else, all options can be prepared with various admixture plants...

I have been using the term "cimora" to refer to cactus tea made from only trichocereus Pachanoi, I had heard of admixture plants, but when I reviewed schultes list I was horrified, not so much by thinking about difficulty in consumption, but thinking about the chemical composition of these admixture brews...

-eg