We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Alternative To Fumaric Acid For Salting From D-Limo Options

MachineElf88
#1 Posted : 6/2/2016 12:24:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey guys, I'm running low on fumaric acid and it's proving difficult to get my hands on some for the time being. My supplier is sold out.

I wondered would phosphoric acid work instead? I have some handy.

To be clear I'm only salting the spice out from the D-Limo so I can freebase it. I don't need it in a stable salt form.

I usually add FASW to the limo and separate X 3 and then evap till it's syrup like in consistency. Then I dissolve it in a little boiling water and do the 10 min golden wax precip method which works very well.

Also what ratio phosphoric/water to use to make a saturated water solution?

Thanks

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

AcaciaConfusedYah
#2 Posted : 8/9/2016 5:04:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

You can really use any type of acid if you are salting into an aqueous mix and then basing. It won't effect the process much. DMT fumarate is one of the more popular stable salt forms that form a crystaline structure at room temp - which is why many teks use it. It is also safe, and over doing it won't be as quick to cause severe chemical burns (which is easy to get if you mess with a concentrated strong acid with out appropriate equipment and safety procedure.)

When you use an acid, really all you are looking to get from the acid is it's available H+ ions. Which, when dealing with an acid like phosphoric, will be triprotic and have three H+ ions that disassociate from the phosphate group at three different pKa values. It has three different conjugate bases which will appear at each dissociation. If you were to fully dissociate phosphoric acid, you would end up with DMT-phosphate (eventually) but you are likely to only hit one or two of the pKa needed to dissociate when doing a salting.

The acid-water ratio will depend on the pH that you wanna use to salt. Phosphoric is a strong acid, and won't need too much to lower the pH enough to salt the DMT. You don't want to saturate the water with this acid. It is not like fumaric which is a weak acid. Add just enough to get the volume you are working with to the pH you desire.

There is a way to figure out what amount you will need per volume of water, but you would need to share more about your desired project to be able to assist with that - I.E. how much water you want to use to salt, what pH you want to reach, etc.
Smile
Sometimes it's good for a change. Other times it isn't.