We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Alternative substrate for cubensis Options

Psilosopher?
#1 Posted : 5/22/2016 9:19:44 AM

Don't Panic

So, I have a plan for my rainforest grow. But in regards to the substrate, is there anything else can use besides cow manure? I'd preferably not use any dung, since I won't be near any animals.

Any suggestions?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

SynKyd
#2 Posted : 5/24/2016 7:02:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Seek out some caves for guano? (Insert bat-shit crazy joke here)

Seems like a tough thing to pull off. Are you experienced in mycology? I would probably guess finding a substrate will be the least of your problems unless your carrying colonized jars into the rainforest to spread out, but heck if I know.

Best of luck!Love f

Similar thread on shroomery Forest grow

Solid recommendation there for wood lover species over cubensis, especially as your question is concerned.
At the center of this existence, it is everything and nothing, all of us and each of us and none of us. My light is now lit, and it cannot be extinguished.

Psilosopher?
#3 Posted : 5/24/2016 7:44:53 AM

Don't Panic

SinysterKyd wrote:
Seek out some caves for guano? (Insert bat-shit crazy joke here)

Seems like a tough thing to pull off. Are you experienced in mycology? I would probably guess finding a substrate will be the least of your problems unless your carrying colonized jars into the rainforest to spread out, but heck if I know.

Best of luck!Love f

Similar thread on shroomery Forest grow

Solid recommendation there for wood lover species over cubensis, especially as your question is concerned.

Thanks! Yeah, I was thinking of subaeruginosa. But when it's "wood-loving", does that mean any type of wood? Say I shredded some wood, mixed it with some soil, sprinkled spores on it and put in a humidity chamber. Would this work?

I'd like to have more mycology experience before I go, but it might not be possible.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

tseuq
#4 Posted : 5/24/2016 11:57:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Psilocybe cubensis do not need any dung at all in contrast to the panaeoulus family, psilocybe semilanceata,.. .

You can easily cultivate the p.cub. mycelium on grain.

Regardless of the strain, I recommend to cultivate a good amount of mycelium before putting it outside.

Spread the shrooms, tseuq
Everything's sooo peyote-ful..

tseuq
#5 Posted : 5/31/2016 8:37:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ahoi Bodhi, I wanted to answer your question some days ago and I forgot, so here is my suggestion.

Bodhisativa wrote:
But when it's "wood-loving", does that mean any type of wood? Say I shredded some wood, mixed it with some soil, sprinkled spores on it and put in a humidity chamber. Would this work?

Yes, but probably no.

Take some small beech wood pieces (I use XXL chipsis from the pet shop) and pasteurize (pour over with boiling water and let it simmer for around 30min in a closed bowl) them. When they are done simmering, pour off the water and let more water drip out for another 10min (I use a noodle mesh with a lid from a bowl on top). Meanwhile make a spore syringe. Put the wood pieces in a new freezer bag and innoculate the wood with your spore syringe.
Put the open bag, i just turn the top of the bag over, in a dark and cool to moderate temp. room/box.

To multiply your mycilium, add new pasteurized chipsis to the already colonized ones in a ration of 1:1 to the bag and mix them from the outside with your fingers. If your breed gets to big for the bag you can use more bags or a bucket.

tseuq
Everything's sooo peyote-ful..

Psilosopher?
#6 Posted : 5/31/2016 11:41:03 AM

Don't Panic

tseuq wrote:
Ahoi Bodhi, I wanted to answer your question some days ago and I forgot, so here is my suggestion.

Bodhisativa wrote:
But when it's "wood-loving", does that mean any type of wood? Say I shredded some wood, mixed it with some soil, sprinkled spores on it and put in a humidity chamber. Would this work?

Yes, but probably no.

Take some small beech wood pieces (I use XXL chipsis from the pet shop) and pasteurize (pour over with boiling water and let it simmer for around 30min in a closed bowl) them. When they are done simmering, pour off the water and let more water drip out for another 10min (I use a noodle mesh with a lid from a bowl on top). Meanwhile make a spore syringe. Put the wood pieces in a new freezer bag and innoculate the wood with your spore syringe.
Put the open bag, i just turn the top of the bag over, in a dark and cool to moderate temp. room/box.

To multiply your mycilium, add new pasteurized chipsis to the already colonized ones in a ration of 1:1 to the bag and mix them from the outside with your fingers. If your breed gets to big for the bag you can use more bags or a bucket.

tseuq

Thanks for the info man. But I will be in a rainforest, so I won't exactly have access to anything in society, much less a pet shop.

I've seen a lot of grows that are focused on cubensis. For the substrate, I've seen the rye seed mix to the vermiculite/rice flour cakes. For subaeruginosa, do I just get a bunch of wood chips and sprinkle spores on it? Surely, it must be more than that? The only stuff I've seen on subs involve substrate mixes that I won't have available.

Here's my plan for a grow. I will make humidity chambers out of clay. I will make woodchips out of hardwoods, and sterilise them in a make shift pressure cooker. Or I might get an actual pressure cooker. I do plan on bringing some mushroom growing supplies, like canning jars and what not so maybe I can be less primitive.

Since it's a tropical climate, temperature isn't really an issue. When it gets cold at night, I'll bring the chamber in the hut, close to the fire but not too close.

Assuming mycelium will form, I will inoculate fresh wood jars and keep the spawn going. Sterility will be an issue though. If I do manage to get this going, I'll write up a primitive growing guide and give it to my cousin who will have access to this Nexus account.

Is there anything else? I'm not a grower, never grown mushrooms in my life. Probably should get some practice before I go, but hey, if I don't have experience when I go, then I'll have to make do.

Biawak
#7 Posted : 6/3/2016 8:50:58 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Bodhisativa wrote:
I do plan on bringing some mushroom growing supplies, like canning jars...

Have you ever hiked long distance with a heavy pack??

Polypropylene plastic containers are far lighter and won't break.

http://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/d...aspx?g=posts&t=62792
"The cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation." - Terence McKenna

Psilosopher?
#8 Posted : 6/3/2016 12:07:23 PM

Don't Panic

Biawak wrote:
Bodhisativa wrote:
I do plan on bringing some mushroom growing supplies, like canning jars...

Have you ever hiked long distance with a heavy pack??

Polypropylene plastic containers are far lighter and won't break.

http://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/d...aspx?g=posts&t=62792

Hahahaha. As soon as I read this post, I was done posting my hiking journey in the chat. What a coincidence.

12:43:34 ‹Bodhisativa›Hah, yeah. I hiked 45 km uphill with a 25kg backpack.
12:44:38 ‹endlessness›how long did that take you?
12:44:40 ‹Bodhisativa›Before we hiked, we were gonna be on the lookout of mushies. We couldn't even muster the energy to look around. The entire hike was focusing on pushing through. "One more step."
12:44:43 ‹Bodhisativa›3 days.
12:45:20 ‹Bodhisativa›On the second day, after we set up the tent and campfire, I sat down in my sleeping bag next the fire. I didn't get up until the next morning.
12:45:28 ‹Bodhisativa›My legs wouldn't even respond.
12:45:36Pile of cats left the room (Timeout)
12:45:48 ‹Bodhisativa›It honestly felt like I was paraplegic.
12:45:59 ‹Bodhisativa›I tried to wiggle my toes. Nothing.
12:46:19 ‹Bodhisativa›So I smoked some herbs, had dinner, and knocked myself out.
12:46:50 ‹endlessness›sounds intense Very happy
12:46:55 ‹Bodhisativa›Before I went to sleep, my mates were saying the fire was creeping towards me. If I didn't extinguish it soon, I would be engulfed in flames.
12:47:02Pile of cats joined the room
12:47:11 ‹Bodhisativa›I said "Well, if I catch on fire, I'll catch on fire."
12:47:26 ‹Bodhisativa›My body refused to get up.
12:47:33 ‹Bodhisativa›No matter how much energy I put into it.
12:47:59 ‹Bodhisativa›My mates couldn't get up either, so they arced some water from a pump bottle on to the creeping fire.
12:48:00 ‹endlessness›lol
12:48:07 ‹Bodhisativa›Some expert marksmanship there.
12:48:33 ‹Bodhisativa›I overpacked.
12:49:33 ‹Bodhisativa›Canned food? Big no no. Too much weight. I didn't want to take canned food, but I was short on time before the trip. I severely underestimated the hike.
12:49:45 ‹Bodhisativa›"25kgs? Ah, that's fine. I can carry that."
12:50:04 ‹Bodhisativa›Yeah, I can carry that. But not uphill with loose gravel and Adidas hightops.
12:50:21 ‹endlessness›lol
12:50:23 ‹Bodhisativa›I would slide down 5 steps for every step that I didn't take carefully.
12:50:36 ‹endlessness›yeah man hiking long distances is a whole other animal
12:50:51 ‹Bodhisativa›Oooh yeah.
12:51:12 ‹Bodhisativa›It was also over 30C.
12:51:18 ‹endlessness›(brb shower)

But yeah, polypropylene sounds good. I used the term canning jars loosely. Material doesn't bother me. As long as it serves its purpose.