We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Cheap vacuum with an old fridge compressor. Options

Jees
#1 Posted : 5/17/2016 3:15:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The picture tells it.
Comp has run for over 15 years is a little deep freezer the size of a washing machine.
Vacuum for vacuum filtering or evaping BHO, sustainable living incorporates reusing assets Thumbs up
You have to keep both the terminal tubes upwards, there's oil in the case, do not let it spit out.
Jees attached the following image(s):
vac.jpg (179kb) downloaded 141 time(s).

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

PH0Man
#2 Posted : 5/18/2016 1:48:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Very nice! Would be cool to have pictures of the whole setup though

Mindlusion
#3 Posted : 5/19/2016 12:20:50 AM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

vacuum pump pr0n?
Mindlusion attached the following image(s):
20160508_202658.jpg (2,182kb) downloaded 120 time(s).
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

Jees
#4 Posted : 5/19/2016 1:41:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

LOL Mindlusion. How classy Shocked Thumbs up

PH0Man wrote:
Very nice! Would be cool to have pictures of the whole setup though

Its just a case with an metal inlet tube (largest diameter) as the sucking side, and an outlet tube, no more. But I can do pic later no problem.

The only side that might need enlightenment is the electrical wiring because one has to emulate the thermostat with a simple on-off switch for convenience, or just a power lead only so when plugged in it simple keeps running. When spare time I will update on that.

tryptamine9
#5 Posted : 5/20/2016 1:55:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi there!

I have used old fridge compressors for some years and am happy with them.
One should change the oil from time to time iff one uses the compressor on volatile organics.
After some acentone removals my compressor's oil got smelly and contaminated and as I didn't change it (I guess), the compressor failed one day (piston stuck). A wash bottle should be used on the low-pressure side.
I then tend to use a three-way valve to intentionally produce a small leakage in the hose. Doing so I avoid the compressor to produce a vacuum so high that it stops pumping, for this would quickly destroy the copper wirings inside the motor. Furthermore it allows to reduce the vacuum relatively slowly for safety reasons. A vacuum can be quite dangereous! E.g. the failing of a hose-junction might lead to an explosion when atmospheric pressure enters suddenly. Please keep that in mind!

This setup even allowed me to do small-scaled vacuum distillations to recycle my solvents quickly and with very little external heat. Smile

Greetings, Tim

Jees
#6 Posted : 5/20/2016 2:13:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice practical info, thank you, what kind of oil did you use please to refill the compressor?

Jakup
#7 Posted : 5/22/2016 7:53:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

tryptamine9 wrote:
Hi there!

I have used old fridge compressors for some years and am happy with them.
One should change the oil from time to time iff one uses the compressor on volatile organics.
After some acentone removals my compressor's oil got smelly and contaminated and as I didn't change it (I guess), the compressor failed one day (piston stuck). A wash bottle should be used on the low-pressure side.
I then tend to use a three-way valve to intentionally produce a small leakage in the hose. Doing so I avoid the compressor to produce a vacuum so high that it stops pumping, for this would quickly destroy the copper wirings inside the motor. Furthermore it allows to reduce the vacuum relatively slowly for safety reasons. A vacuum can be quite dangereous! E.g. the failing of a hose-junction might lead to an explosion when atmospheric pressure enters suddenly. Please keep that in mind!

This setup even allowed me to do small-scaled vacuum distillations to recycle my solvents quickly and with very little external heat. Smile

Greetings, Tim

Yeah with any vacuum pump you have to change the oil often because everything you pulled out gets trapped in the oil. I only know this because I'm an HVAC technician and we use them all the time. Most of the time is says right on the pump to change the oil after every use. I change mine about once a month.

And to Jees, most refrigeration compressors use mineral oil or POE oil. I do wonder if normal vacuum pump oil would work though. It probably would.
Always

tryptamine9
#8 Posted : 5/24/2016 4:09:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jees wrote:
Nice practical info, thank you, what kind of oil did you use please to refill the compressor?

I did not change the oil, so this vacuum source no longer exists. Sad
It worked really well for more than four years. And it was often used for acetone and naphtha.
If I had changed the oil, I would have tried mineral oil (maybe a thin two-stroke-engine oil??).

Jakup wrote:
Yeah with any vacuum pump you have to change the oil often because everything you pulled out gets trapped in the oil. I only know this because I'm an HVAC technician and we use them all the time. Most of the time is says right on the pump to change the oil after every use. I change mine about once a month.

Maybe it is sufficient for private use, if one changed the oil as soon as plain air sucked through the pump gets exhausted smelly (solvent-like). Maybe it very much depends on WHAT you are using your pump on. Some contaminants will disturb the lubricating effect more and/or faster than others I think.