We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12345NEXT»
Crown and Klean strip VMP have changed chemically. Options

benzyme
#41 Posted : 1/10/2017 5:26:42 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

the cloudiness is due to microemulsions.
from the linked pdf's, it looks like they added some polymers to the formula?

I'd screen naphtha, but I don't have an APCI interface. I can only test ionizable solvents. this is a job for GCMS.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

โ—‹
#42 Posted : 1/10/2017 9:39:53 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

benzyme wrote:

I'd screen naphtha, but I don't have an APCI interface. I can only test ionizable solvents. this is a job for GCMS.

@Benz

Quick question, I have this other container of klean strip naphtha, same as this recent container I used, though it doesn't 'smell' the same as the other [is there a typical naphtha smell?], although this 'different smelling' naphtha evaporates clean [poured a little onto a glass dish and it left absolutely no trace, film, nothing]. Why would there be a contrast in how it smells? Fine to use?

WokeWave
#43 Posted : 1/10/2017 10:14:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I would really like to know how much the VM&P is around where you live guys. It's freaking expensive around here?!
This world is a hoax! Go for it and create your own reality...

WokeWave
#44 Posted : 1/10/2017 10:16:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:

Yeah that sounds like a reason. So...when my naphta leaves no traces...is it fine to use? I already ordered a cleaner alternative. Best thing would be pure hexane but it's not that easy to purchase.

benzyme
#45 Posted : 1/10/2017 2:12:52 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

tatt wrote:
benzyme wrote:

@Benz

Quick question, I have this other container of klean strip naphtha, same as this recent container I used, though it doesn't 'smell' the same as the other [is there a typical naphtha smell?], although this 'different smelling' naphtha evaporates clean [poured a little onto a glass dish and it left absolutely no trace, film, nothing]. Why would there be a contrast in how it smells? Fine to use?

is it a light, or medium (weight) naphtha? medium naphtha contains some aromatics, and has a higher boiling point range.
vm&p (light naphtha) has a distinctive lighter fluid smell. it is a mixture of short-chain aliphatic hydrocarbons, including iso-aliphatics.

"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

syberdelic
#46 Posted : 1/10/2017 4:13:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The can of naphtha that I was able to repeat the cloudy vinegar test with was used for A/B extraction as well as recrystalization and I can tell you that the final product was super clean. I have done many A/B extractions and this was possibly the cleanest. Whatever chemicals were added, if it was intentional, is likely to control evaporation rate.

Possibly if we want to remove said chemicals, acid washes could be done until washing solution comes out clear but that seems like it may be completely unnecessary.

WokeWave
#47 Posted : 1/10/2017 7:56:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well the naphta i used was totally fine with the evap. test.
But it left my vinegar cloudy.
Today i took a look in the freezer...and i expected some crytals but I got clumps. One of them is huge. It looks like a piece of sugar which disolves in tea.
I'm not really sure what that means Wut?

โ—‹
#48 Posted : 1/11/2017 12:21:28 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

benzyme wrote:

is it a light, or medium (weight) naphtha? medium naphtha contains some aromatics, and has a higher boiling point range.
vm&p (light naphtha) has a distinctive lighter fluid smell. it is a mixture of short-chain aliphatic hydrocarbons, including iso-aliphatics.

here's from the msds:

โ—‹ attached the following image(s):
456.png (22kb) downloaded 320 time(s).

syberdelic
#49 Posted : 1/12/2017 8:50:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

After letting the naptha and about 20% aceitic acid sit for a couple days, both are clear and shaking/inverting causes only normal light emulsions. I will let the whole thing evaporate and see if there is any residue. My assumption is that only if there is some sort of salt or oil left behind from the aqueous solution that we have anything to worry about.

syberdelic
#50 Posted : 1/14/2017 11:30:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bad news: There is an acetate salt residue from the aqueous solution after full evaporation

Good news: This salt can be analyzed

benzyme
#51 Posted : 1/15/2017 12:51:24 AM

analytical chemist

is that just from adding vinegar to vm&p?
I may have to try this. just picked up a qt. of kleen strip today.
i can definitely test salts.

downwardsfromzero
#52 Posted : 1/15/2017 1:43:57 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

syberdelic wrote:
Bad news: There is an acetate salt residue from the aqueous solution after full evaporation

Have you evaped a sample of the acetic acid alone, without mixing with the naphtha first?
i.e. testing a blank

โ€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
โ€• Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

syberdelic
#53 Posted : 1/15/2017 2:12:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
syberdelic wrote:

Have you evaped a sample of the acetic acid alone, without mixing with the naphtha first?
i.e. testing a blank

I will try it, but I'd bet money that it comes out clear.

syberdelic
#54 Posted : 1/15/2017 2:14:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
is that just from adding vinegar to vm&p?
I may have to try this. just picked up a qt. of kleen strip today.
i can definitely test salts.

Yes, give it a shot. If yours doesn't go cloudy, I can send you some of the salts that I recovered.

Mindlusion
#55 Posted : 1/15/2017 2:15:46 AM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

syberdelic wrote:
downwardsfromzero wrote:
syberdelic wrote:

i.e. testing a blank

I will try it, but I'd bet money that it comes out clear.

keep in mind 'distilled white vinegar' isn't always as clean as it looks, some dissolved organics, could leave a residue, so do a control test too if you do Smile

EDIT:

Wow I literally did not read the post or I read it and saw something else. Exactly that was said, My mistake!
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

syberdelic
#56 Posted : 1/15/2017 3:01:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

And this is not grocery store vinegar. It is glacial acetic acid diluted with distilled water to 20%. The label claims 99.8%.

benzyme
#57 Posted : 1/15/2017 5:05:25 AM

analytical chemist

you could send me some salts, and I will attempt an experiment with HCF Vinegar, and Kleen Strip VM&P. I still have that Kodak Glacial Acetic Acid, so I could try that as well.

again..this has to be a salt, or ionizable solvent, for me to run through electrospray.

syberdelic
#58 Posted : 1/15/2017 5:39:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It has to be an acetate salt of something that is soluble in naphtha and boils under 130F. The salt form obviously has a much higher boiling point.

syberdelic
#59 Posted : 1/15/2017 5:43:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The acetic acid does indeed evaporate entirely, leaving nothing behind so the residue is most definitely being pulled from the naphtha.

benzyme
#60 Posted : 1/27/2017 9:10:15 PM

analytical chemist

I'm screening it now.

PREV12345NEXT»