We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
Crown and Klean strip VMP have changed chemically. Options

Running Bear
#1 Posted : 5/5/2016 8:58:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you have purchased VMP recently, shake it up with water and a small amount of acid. You will notice that the water becomes cloudy and will not clarify. This did not used to be the case. The two layers used to separate completely and stay crystal clear. Something in the mix is becoming slightly hydrophilic when mixed with acid. What ever it is will ruin your final outcome. Some states have the same ingredients and others have changed for some unknown reason. The only way to know for sure is to test it.
Sad

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

lewinii
#2 Posted : 5/5/2016 9:43:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

did you check their websites for any possible updates to the MSDS's ?
"science never proves anything; you can never duplicate an event precisely at the same moment in time as the initial event. science can only show correlation from the evidence and data derived from it." -benzyme

โ†’ Donate to the Nexus! โ†

Running Bear
#3 Posted : 5/5/2016 9:51:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No and I wouldn't take their word for it anyways. I'm thinking its some kind of drying agent. It will cause the DMT to burn your lips and throat. I just don't want anyone on here to hurt themselves.

concombres
#4 Posted : 5/5/2016 10:15:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Squatting Bear wrote:
No and I wouldn't take their word for it anyways. I'm thinking its some kind of drying agent. It will cause the DMT to burn your lips and throat. I just don't want anyone on here to hurt themselves.

Have you actually had this happen yet? I have heard it a few times already & I have been meaning to go find a can of naphtha that does this to see if there is a simple solution.

Running Bear
#5 Posted : 5/5/2016 10:15:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

All you have to do it put 50 ml of 5% distilled white vinegar and 50 ml of naphtha in a bottle. shake it for 60 sec and poor it into a jar or something that you can see through. You will see the naphtha separate from the vinegar. If the vinegar is cloudy and will not clear up within a couple of min then its no good.

Running Bear
#6 Posted : 5/5/2016 10:20:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I just did a test on some klean strip VM&P Naphtha that I purchased online MFG date - 12/03/15 and it's no good. The naphtha that I just picked up from a nearby store MFG- 1/26/16 is good and passed the test. So some of you definitely have bad naphtha. Test it!

DmnStr8
#7 Posted : 5/7/2016 6:31:20 AM

Come what may

1.Combine equal parts of the suspect naphtha with a strong solution of NaOH. Mix well and allow to separate. Discard NaOH.

2.Combine equal parts of the suspect naphtha with a strong acid solution. Mix well and allow to separate. Discard acid.

3.You now have (clean) naphtha.
"In the universe there is an immeasurable, indescribable force which shamans call intent, and absolutely everything that exists in the entire cosmos is attached to intent by a connecting link." ~Carlos Castaneda

Running Bear
#8 Posted : 5/7/2016 11:49:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks DmnStr8. I'll give it a try. Thumbs up

endlessness
#9 Posted : 5/8/2016 8:46:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

DmnStr8 wrote:
1.Combine equal parts of the suspect naphtha with a strong solution of NaOH. Mix well and allow to separate. Discard NaOH.

2.Combine equal parts of the suspect naphtha with a strong acid solution. Mix well and allow to separate. Discard acid.

3.You now have (clean) naphtha.

That could def help, but only in the case the impurity is polar. If it's non polar, that washing won't clean it. Do we know for a fact what impurities are there?

Otherwise definitely do an evap test after washing it to see if it leaves any residue even after washing.

And maybe also it would be worth to consider other alternative extractions that use other safer solvents.

pitubo
#10 Posted : 5/8/2016 10:54:48 AM

dysfunctional word machine

Good point endlessness, we simply don't know what the new additives are, so there is no way to be certain that a certain procedure will clean up and purify the naphtha sufficiently for use in extractions.

I would like to make a conjecture about the possible nature of the new additives. In my part of the world, I've seen butanol and butoxyethanol added to thinner and solvent formulations, sometimes even completely replacing naphtha. Both compounds are somewhat polar and partly dissolve in polar liquids, such as water and acidic water. This would explain the clouding observed, if my conjecture is correct.

So if this is the case and if only moderate amounts of partly polar additives are present, repeated washings with water will make the solvent useful again. If it consists entirely of partly polar solvent, then aqueous washings are of no use.

It would be useful if somebody could distill an older batch and a newer batch of this brand of solvent and take note of the boiling points observed at the top of a column. Contacting the manufacturer and inquiring about the changed composition might even give a direct answer.

Running Bear
#11 Posted : 5/10/2016 9:11:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Can you clean your DMT after using the bad naphtha? I'm afraid to use some of my dmt. A re-x wont work so what should I do?

downwardsfromzero
#12 Posted : 5/11/2016 7:34:58 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Squatting Bear wrote:
Can you clean your DMT after using the bad naphtha? I'm afraid to use some of my dmt. A re-x wont work so what should I do?
Why won't a re-x work? I'll confess to being a little baffled by what appears to be an unstated assumption.

Obviously, using the same naphtha wouldn't help but surely you'll be wanting to get new solvent anyhow?

And then there's the mini A/B, which also would require clean NPS.

โ€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
โ€• Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Running Bear
#13 Posted : 5/11/2016 9:00:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

because naphtha can absorb the chemical just like DMT. Its not going to fall to the bottom of your glass with a re-x. I think I'm going to turn the Freebase into a salt and deal with it that way.

downwardsfromzero
#14 Posted : 5/12/2016 1:03:13 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

By your logic a re-x wouldn't ever work, for anything. Which clearly isn't the case.

(The solvent is not evaporated for a re-x...)

โ€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
โ€• Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Running Bear
#15 Posted : 5/12/2016 1:20:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

if I use clean naphtha for a re-x trace amounts could still be there. I understand what you're saying but for me its not worth it.

seasonsintheabyss
#16 Posted : 5/13/2016 11:23:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Just performed the test on the latest Klean Strip I bought a few weeks ago. It would appear that the vinegar stays in the bottom of the jar crystal clear, while the naphtha rises above it looking a little clouded. The vinegar should be the bottom layer correct? and I would be in the clear then? just making sure I don't injure myself

pitubo
#17 Posted : 5/13/2016 12:59:09 PM

dysfunctional word machine

No guarantees, but it sounds okay. Always do an evaporation test on a small amount of the solvent before using it.

endlessness
#18 Posted : 5/13/2016 2:12:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There are several ways you can clean DMT from different possible impurities, for example:

1- Recrystallization
2- Mini-A/B
3- Precipitating the fumarate with FASI/FASA, washing with cold acetone or IPA and reconverting back to freebase

You could do any of the above or a mix of them it all depends on how thorough you want to clean and what the suspected impurity is. Of course the best is to just use clean materials to begin with and not have to clean it up later.

Running Bear
#19 Posted : 5/13/2016 2:27:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bad Naphtha.......
This picture was taken after a 2nd acid test on the same naphtha. It appears that a simple acid wash doesn't clean it very well. Sorry about the picture being sideways.
Thumbs up
Running Bear attached the following image(s):
20160513_091005.jpg (1,970kb) downloaded 715 time(s).

Orion
#20 Posted : 5/13/2016 2:58:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

lewinii wrote:
did you check their websites for any possible updates to the MSDS's ?

Squatting Bear wrote:
No and I wouldn't take their word for it anyways.

You're right not to trust them. I rarely see a genuine composition in an MSDS for naphtha, they use vague terms and often don't mention additives.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

123NEXT»