We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Harmala Stains on Countertop! Ahhh!! Options

Dimitrius
#1 Posted : 4/26/2016 8:32:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

In a rush to finish up a Manske last night, I mindlessly tossed a filter onto the counter.

This morning I woke up to a flourish of nice, red stains.

I have tried some mild stain removers, to no apparent effect.

Right now, it's all soaking in vinegar. No idea if that will help.

I'm wondering if anyone had any experience with this & what might dissolve the stains & release them from the counter top......

Any oils, solvents, stain removers, etc... that won't cause further discolorations?

What are the staining compounds of harmala soluble in?

The counter top is off-white/beige-ish.

Crying or very sad Shocked Surprised Confused
Dimitrius attached the following image(s):
GOPR0216.JPG (3,933kb) downloaded 179 time(s).
"Within your heart is a lotus, and within this lotus is a diamond. This diamond is the source of creation, and in all the creation, there is only one lotus."

"Only from the Heart can you touch the sky." ~ Rumi

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

DiMoiTou
#2 Posted : 4/26/2016 9:57:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Knowing the material of the countertop is more important than the color, so as to know which solvent may be used safely Wink
Is the surface slick or "grainy"?
If the vinegar doesn't work, I would try some baking soda solution.
You could try strong stuff like bleach or acetone but definitely try them first on a non-visible area... if there is one. If the material is plastic-based, it's probably not a good idea to use these.
Good luck!

pitubo
#3 Posted : 4/26/2016 11:12:20 PM

dysfunctional word machine

Dimitrius wrote:
I have tried some mild stain removers, to no apparent effect.

Soaking in vinegar is a good idea. Did you try alcohol? Soaking in soap, I mean the real soap, not some detergent?

If the top surface is made from plastic, it should be able to withstand bleach. Be sure to use clear liquid bleach only and not any product with abrasives in it, those will wreck the surface of the plastic.

I accidentally dyed my gf's oven mitt beautifully red after drying harmala freebase in her oven, but after she had put the mitt in the washing machine, it came out pretty clean again. On the other hand after spilling concentrated rue tea over it, one of my pairs of jeans is permanently stained it seems, even after repeated washings. Perhaps the mitt had been rather fatty from use and the stains could not really get into the fabric because of that.

anon_003
#4 Posted : 4/27/2016 8:09:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Always thought it to be an allegorically appropriate effect of harmalas to stain things... to me this means getting deep enough into the atomic/molecular structure of something that it can be physically changed.

Now the purge doesn't sound so woo-infested? MAOIs getting deep within your system to dye your spirit-body with some antidepressant intention.
Once in a while, you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

obliguhl
#5 Posted : 4/27/2016 8:16:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ringworm
#6 Posted : 4/29/2016 3:50:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Just dye the rest of the counter top.
"We're selling more than a cracker here," Krijak said. "We're selling the salty, unctuous illusion of happiness."

Ringworm
#7 Posted : 4/29/2016 3:51:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Or as we say at work:

"If it's not rusted, grease it.... if it's rusted, paint it."
"We're selling more than a cracker here," Krijak said. "We're selling the salty, unctuous illusion of happiness."

arcologist
#8 Posted : 4/29/2016 4:43:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have had some luck with bleach, but was never able to completely remove the stains.

Dimitrius
#9 Posted : 5/8/2016 7:39:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I had so many things going on, that I forgot this thread...

Thank you guys.

anon_003, I like your thinking....

Acetone.... Acetone worked pretty well. Only the faintest of stain now.
"Within your heart is a lotus, and within this lotus is a diamond. This diamond is the source of creation, and in all the creation, there is only one lotus."

"Only from the Heart can you touch the sky." ~ Rumi

pinkoyd
#10 Posted : 5/13/2016 1:02:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extraordinary knowledgeSenior Member

I've had good results with liquid tarnish remover for use on silver. Haven't specifically used it on harmala stains but it restored a formica top I thought was beyond saving.
I already asked Alice.

Chan
#11 Posted : 5/13/2016 1:13:51 PM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Dilute ammonia worked for me. Also great even for old, dried-in carpet stains too, if you do it properly...
“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers