We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT
damaged trichocereus sprouts pup Options

entheogenic-gnosis
#21 Posted : 5/16/2016 3:06:13 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Gone-and-Back wrote:
I don't know about pachanoi, but I know it's fairly common for bridgesii to sprout multiple pups at once like that. The bridgesii that I have sprouted two basal pups at the same exact time, on the same row, just on opposite sides of the original cactus.

That was only the first year I had it. Now that we are going into the second growing season, I'm planning on cutting the main section and replanting it, in hopes that the original stalk will sprout even more pups.

I really wish I would have got some T. bridgesii, I'm looking into obtaining some now, but I wish I would have started with bridgesii...

I have had these particular Pachanoi cacti for around 3.5 years, and this is the first that I have seen them sprout pups in this fashion, these pups are sprouting from a damaged stalk, which may have something to do with it, regardless, to me it's very exciting.

These cacti are actually "alive", I can notice small growth and movements from day to day, it really makes it interesting to observe the growth and changes occurring!

I'm going to get to the "cutting and rooting" by next week!

Thank you again for all the information,

-eg

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Gone-and-Back
#22 Posted : 5/16/2016 4:41:48 PM
DMT-Nexus member

They truly are amazing plants. I totally understand what you mean by them being alive, I love seeing the growth each day that these plants put out.

If I had some extra cuttings I would be willing to give some away, but my collection has not hit that point yet. I plan on cutting and rooting soon as well. I'm just waiting for it to stay at a decent temp instead of dropping back down into the 40's mid week. I know having them out in heat and sunlight will speed things up.

Those are some nice peyote by the way. I hope to be acquiring some of those soon myself, I can't wait. Such a sacred plant, I don't think I could ever bring myself to consume it. I'd want to just clone it and keep cloning it.
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

entheogenic-gnosis
#23 Posted : 6/2/2016 2:17:47 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Gone-and-Back wrote:
They truly are amazing plants. I totally understand what you mean by them being alive, I love seeing the growth each day that these plants put out.

If I had some extra cuttings I would be willing to give some away, but my collection has not hit that point yet. I plan on cutting and rooting soon as well. I'm just waiting for it to stay at a decent temp instead of dropping back down into the 40's mid week. I know having them out in heat and sunlight will speed things up.

Those are some nice peyote by the way. I hope to be acquiring some of those soon myself, I can't wait. Such a sacred plant, I don't think I could ever bring myself to consume it. I'd want to just clone it and keep cloning it.

For real, look how fast these trichocereus actually grow (picture attached)

In my last photo the second pup had just sprouted, now it's up to 3 rows of spines!

I've still been waiting to chop up my longer "arms" as well, I'm sure it would be better to get them cloned soon.

I'm also changing out the soil for the damaged trich that is sprouting pups, often times if you can't find a cause for the damage it's because the cause is below the soil, you would be surprised how issues with the roots can affect the the stalk.

I love my lophophora cacti, I have had them for around 4 years now, very slow growing...the caespitose lophophora was already fairly old when I obtained it, and has been doing great, the non-clustered lophs are probably less old, there's 3 young pups and a larger button, I don't have an exact age on them...

I not growing my lophs for consumption either, I'm just happy to have access to a living sample of a sacred plant with such a rich history.

-eg
entheogenic-gnosis attached the following image(s):
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464980567000.jpg (274kb) downloaded 119 time(s).

entheogenic-gnosis
#24 Posted : 6/4/2016 7:49:13 PM
DMT-Nexus member

The top of the damaged stalk that just sprouted pups also suffered some damage, so I cut it off, I let it sit in a cool dry place for 3 days, it appeared to have scabbed over, though I may have rushed it, regardless the soil was bone dry, so I pray it won't have mold issues...

I got my first clone in soil today.

The First 2 pictures are of the stalk I removed it from, and the 3rd picture is of the new clone...

Godspeed little clone...

I'll have to get to chopping up and rooting my longer "arms" this week...

I also just got a trichocereus grandiflorus hybrid and an astrophytum ornatum, both are suspected of being active, both contained unspecified alkaloids, and both are welcome new additions to my possibly non-Entheogenic cacti collection...

So I've been fairly busy with cacti cultivation recently, I need to get cloning my pachanoi's...

-eg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1465216899000.jpg (210kb) downloaded 108 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1465216807000.jpg (277kb) downloaded 108 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1465216782000.jpg (270kb) downloaded 108 time(s).

DansMaTete
#25 Posted : 6/4/2016 10:39:22 PM

[insert something smart/deep here]

There is a difference between scabbed and healed. Few weeks are needed to heal properly.

The risks of rotting are big so you should un-pot the cutting and let it heal for 3-6 weeks (depends of conditions) before to put it back in soil.

« I love the smell of boiling MHRB in the morning »

entheogenic-gnosis
#26 Posted : 6/7/2016 2:23:05 PM
DMT-Nexus member

DansMaTete wrote:
There is a difference between scabbed and healed. Few weeks are needed to heal properly.

The risks of rotting are big so you should un-pot the cutting and let it heal for 3-6 weeks (depends of conditions) before to put it back in soil.

Yes, I rushed it...

But so far everything is going fine.

I figured that if the soil was bone dry and that if the cut had at least scabbed over, that my risk of mold or infection would be minimal...

You also must keep in mind the diameter of these "arms", they are very small and tend to scab/heal faster than the cuttings which are the diameter of a coke-can or more...

Plus that clone was taken because there was damage between the rest of the stalk and the piece I cloned, I fully expected the clone to be affected, and figured it was not going to make it regardless., yet it looks great so far, there's no overt indications of distress...

Regardless, I know I rushed it.

...but it's doing fine, I think I'll leave it alone for now.

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#27 Posted : 6/7/2016 2:33:18 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I've got some more pictures of the progress with these cacti.

First picture shows an "arm" with roots already growing from its side, I'm going to clone this one next.

The next picture shows the new clone, it was suggested that I remove it and let it heal due to risk of rot, mold, infection or so on, and this is good advice, but in this situation I'm just going to.see what happens.

The last picture is of two new pups sprouting from the damaged stalk just under the area from which I took the clone. This brings this stalks total of "arms" to 4, I'll post pictures of the other two arms next.

-eg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464852230000.jpg (242kb) downloaded 82 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464852323000.jpg (225kb) downloaded 82 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464852460000.jpg (158kb) downloaded 82 time(s).

entheogenic-gnosis
#28 Posted : 6/7/2016 2:39:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

New pictures of the pups that led me to initially begin this thread.

My first post in this thread these pups were barely breaking the surface, now the first one is 7 rows of spines and the second one is up to 4...

Plus there are two more pups breaking the surface on the other side of this same stalk!

-eg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464852954000.jpg (209kb) downloaded 84 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464852953000.jpg (218kb) downloaded 82 time(s).

entheogenic-gnosis
#29 Posted : 6/11/2016 5:39:25 PM
DMT-Nexus member

The two pups that sprouted from the side of the stalk are doing amazing, very healthy, and growing at a steady rate, I can not believe how big they got in such a short amount of time!

The two pups that were just beginning to emerge from the top of the stalk have nearly fully emerged, though it's still to early to tell how many ribs each new pup will have.

This damaged stalk has proven to be a very productive generator of potential clones.

How big should I let these pups get before I can remove and root them in their own pots?

-eg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1465208998000.jpg (261kb) downloaded 76 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1465208884000.jpg (313kb) downloaded 76 time(s).

entheogenic-gnosis
#30 Posted : 6/11/2016 5:48:25 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Growth rate photos of the new emerging pups, from when they first emerged, to their currant state of growth.

-eg

KINDLE_CAMERA_1464852460000.jpg (158kb) downloaded 74 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1465208884000.jpg (313kb) downloaded 74 time(s).

entheogenic-gnosis
#31 Posted : 6/15/2016 9:05:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

My stalk with the "long arm" sprouted a pup! It's facing the wall, so it was not easy to photograph, but I decided to document it. This particular stalk had been kept with a moldy rag under its pot, which caused an issue with the roots which ultimately turned the stalk to a black "mush". I took the damaged cacti, and gave it a new home, I gave it new soil and a new pot, and some basic care, and it healed without issue. I've been letting it grow, and have just basically left it alone, though I know it's time to chop up and clone the "long arm"

First picture is if the full cactus, you can see where the long arm meets the stalk, just below this meeting point is where a new pup sprouted.

Next picture is of the pup on the long arm stalk.

The next picture again shows the long arm stalk pup.

Then the last to photos show an update on the two new pups that sprouted from the long arm stalks neighbor trich.

-eg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464962042000.jpg (289kb) downloaded 70 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464961919000.jpg (255kb) downloaded 70 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464961898000.jpg (209kb) downloaded 70 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464962178000.jpg (268kb) downloaded 70 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464962183000.jpg (252kb) downloaded 71 time(s).

Gone-and-Back
#32 Posted : 6/16/2016 12:08:38 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Wow, your cacti are putting out a lot of pups! I wish mine would do that, hopefully the original cutting I had will sprout some more this year, it sprouted two last year. I also just cut it, so hopefully that will make it pup and possibly produce more then one.

Cacti are so exciting.
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

entheogenic-gnosis
#33 Posted : 6/16/2016 1:45:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Gone-and-Back wrote:
Wow, your cacti are putting out a lot of pups! I wish mine would do that, hopefully the original cutting I had will sprout some more this year, it sprouted two last year. I also just cut it, so hopefully that will make it pup and possibly produce more then one.

Cacti are so exciting.

I have had these cacti four around 4.5 years, and this is this first time I have ever seen "mass pupping"...and both cacti are doing it!

I think it may be related to both stalks being formerly damaged, rescued, and healed...

Regardless, how big do I need to let these pups get before I can clone them?

There's a picture of the two biggest pups, how much bigger should I let them get before cloning?

-eg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1465208998000.jpg (261kb) downloaded 58 time(s).

Gone-and-Back
#34 Posted : 6/16/2016 5:25:44 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I'm not sure how big you should let them get before cutting them to clone. I only have a single year under my belt of growing cacti, and I just let my pups continue to grow so far. I still have not cut them, and am letting them grow, instead taking cuttings from the main stalk.

I'll attach a picture of how big mine have gotten. You don't even have to cut them off, you could just let them grow too.

Also, keep in mind these sprouted last year right around this time. So this is how big they got after a single year. They have put on maybe an inch this year, but mostly seem to be getting thicker.
Gone-and-Back attached the following image(s):
20160613_162204.jpg (5,660kb) downloaded 56 time(s).

entheogenic-gnosis
#35 Posted : 6/20/2016 9:50:54 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Those look like they are doing well. ...I wish I would have started with bridgesii, though my Pachanoi's came from a very reliable source, it's sad that they ended up getting damaged, but since I've been caring for them they seem to have recovered and are sprouting pups like crazy.

I want to chop up and clone the "long arm" because it's over 4 feet long...it's getting too large...(picture of the full arm attached)

My clone is doing great, I potted it way to soon, but it ended up doing fine (last two pictures are of the clone)

-eg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464749020000.jpg (316kb) downloaded 48 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464749043000.jpg (192kb) downloaded 48 time(s).

entheogenic-gnosis
#36 Posted : 6/20/2016 9:56:53 AM
DMT-Nexus member

The stalk with the "long arm" sprouted 2 pups! They are facing the wall and were hard to photograph, but I've been documenting these cacti growth for quite some time now, and needed the documentation of these new pups. The lower pup was growing into the T-5 box, so I had to put a hash cartridge from a vape-pen between the cacti and the light...

Then there's some pictures of the pups from the other stalk, which are still small, the pups remind me of lophophora buttons when they are little...

-eg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464748603000.jpg (239kb) downloaded 47 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464748648000.jpg (297kb) downloaded 47 time(s).
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464748648000.jpg (297kb) downloaded 47 time(s).

entheogenic-gnosis
#37 Posted : 6/20/2016 9:59:41 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Forgot the "other stalk" pictures in the last post

-eg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1464748585000.jpg (287kb) downloaded 46 time(s).

Gone-and-Back
#38 Posted : 6/20/2016 5:41:32 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Those are looking nice. I would chop that arm up and plant all those cuttings. Hell I'd even save a foot and brew it up, and plant the other three feet in separate foot long cuttings.

Maybe once those cuttings root, they too will sprout pups. You will have so much cacti you won't know what to do with it haha.

I really want to get a pachanoi, they seem like very reliable cacti. I'm just afraid of spending the money and then getting shipped a pc clone that has nothing in it.

downwardsfromzero
#39 Posted : 6/22/2016 8:42:26 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

entheogenic-gnosis wrote:
There's a picture of the two biggest pups, how much bigger should I let them get before cloning?

It's going nicely at e-g Towers, it seems! My pups are typically allowed to become glaucous before any cloning is considered, but where circumstances have dictated they've been cut before this stage. It just seems that they struggle more when lacking the powdery appearance. It takes 1 or 2 years for the skin to thicken up like that, IME.

As far as size goes, it's as much about girth as length. Also, it's looking as if the twin pups half way up the damaged stem might be starting to sprout roots, although they look a bit tender to be cutting just yet.

Sorry, my explanation probably isn't as good as I might have hoped, a lot of what I do is based on the feel of things. Hopefully you'll get a good feel for cacti soon enough with your lovely specimens, eg!

Do you spray-mist your cacti? That's what seemed to get mine really taking off, and if they're in direct sun at least some of the day they can be watered almost daily during summer.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

entheogenic-gnosis
#40 Posted : 6/23/2016 1:28:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
entheogenic-gnosis wrote:

It's going nicely at e-g Towers, it seems! My pups are typically allowed to become glaucous before any cloning is considered, but where circumstances have dictated they've been cut before this stage. It just seems that they struggle more when lacking the powdery appearance. It takes 1 or 2 years for the skin to thicken up like that, IME.

As far as size goes, it's as much about girth as length. Also, it's looking as if the twin pups half way up the damaged stem might be starting to sprout roots, although they look a bit tender to be cutting just yet.

Sorry, my explanation probably isn't as good as I might have hoped, a lot of what I do is based on the feel of things. Hopefully you'll get a good feel for cacti soon enough with your lovely specimens, eg!

Do you spray-mist your cacti? That's what seemed to get mine really taking off, and if they're in direct sun at least some of the day they can be watered almost daily during summer.

Thanks for the information!

I don't spray mist, but I have wanted too, both these cactiwe're at one time damaged, and molds have been a big concern, however I think they may be healthy enough now, and in better conditions, so I may start.

I now plan on letting the 6 New pups grow for the next year or so, maybe longer, provided they don't get out of control...

I think the long arm is over 4 feet, the T-5 box is probably 3 feet long, and the "long arm" it's twice as long as the box...

I plan on cutting and cloning that one in early july...

Any advice or information is much appreciated, thanks.

-eg

PREV1234NEXT