We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Many hours before pulls? Options

SnipeCookie
#1 Posted : 4/6/2016 5:48:12 AM
DMT-Nexus member

attempt: second time
materials: followed Cyb tek with EW's clean up stage using same chemicals

SWIM was following EW's tek found here and got to the clean up stage (step 2) and placed the naptha pulls into the basic water but left this over night, does this impact the outcome in any way?

It got cold and the naptha had white stringy looking stuff in it (I really wish I could have worded that better) so they heated up some water and left it in a heat bath for another 45 minutes or so, shaking it up every few minutes.

Then it was pulled and placed into its own glass dish, the pull was extremely cloudy (was this spice?)

then 4-5 more pulls were done. By the time those pulls were done and the first dish looked like this

It was put in the freezer for about 20 hours and came out looking like this (close up of the 4 o'clock position)

a close up of the middle area

this part is pretty gooey

I do believe the first pull was just very saturated with spice but I would like some more experienced input on whether or not leaving the naptha in the lye-water over night can have any negative impact(s) on the outcome

*sorry if this isn't written as clearly and easy to read, I am very tired and just trying to be cautious
*Using the term "I" does not imply any of what I write relates to me personally

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Tryptallmine
#2 Posted : 4/6/2016 12:49:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Did you place the solvent pulls in an alkaline solution (base) or acidic solution? You would need to mix it into an acidic solution to effectively perform a cleanup, then base and pull again.

There is no issue leaving solvent mixed with an acidic solution overnight as all the DMT will have migrated across.

Leaving solvent in basic solution (when you don't get to finish a pull until the next day), from my own experiences will pull a little more plant fats/oils and sometimes a little more color from the soup. It can make the end product a little more yellow/light tan + sticky/oily vs dry crystal - this is not a big deal.

From your pictures it looks like you did alright. I'd scrape up what you can of the dry crystal and continue to dry the gooey stuff for a day or so until it scrapes up hard. It looks like there is a bit of moisture in it which should evaporate off.

Alternatively you could dissolve the goo (once free of water moisture) into some Iso Alcohol and infuse it into some herbs. Either way will do fine.

P.S - I usually wait around 4 hours before I start pulls after the initial base heat bath.
During the cleanup step, I'll simply start to pull after I see the cloudy reaction take place when the base is introduced and the pH is stable above 12. I like to keep the cleanup solution at around 30-40 degrees the entire time.

cyb
#3 Posted : 4/6/2016 1:30:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

SnipeCookie wrote:
I do believe the first pull was just very saturated with spice but I would like some more experienced input on whether or not leaving the naptha in the lye-water over night can have any negative impact(s) on the outcome

The point of having salt in the mix is to push it out in the first couple of pulls...after that, it's just about depleting the maximum amount from the bark in subsequent pulls.
Leaving overnight wont hurt...but may pick up more yellowing colour.
Please do not PM tek related questions
Reserve the right to change your mind at any given moment.

SnipeCookie
#4 Posted : 4/6/2016 4:35:45 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Tryptallmine wrote:
Did you place the solvent pulls in an alkaline solution (base) or acidic solution? You would need to mix it into an acidic solution to effectively perform a cleanup, then base and pull again.

I took my initial naphtha pulls from the base-bark mix (step 7 in Cyb's tek) and put them into a tall thin glass to separate any base I pulled up in the last bit of naphtha. Then when that separated again I put those pulls into the acidic solution (water and vinegar) after that I pulled the naphtha and "discarded" it (put it into another glass dish to evap to see if I left anything behind). Then I added the sodium hydroxide (lye) and it turned milky white and then I added nahptha. That is where I stopped for the day.

Tryptallmine wrote:

There is no issue leaving solvent mixed with an acidic solution overnight as all the DMT will have migrated across.

Leaving solvent in basic solution (when you don't get to finish a pull until the next day), from my own experiences will pull a little more plant fats/oils and sometimes a little more color from the soup. It can make the end product a little more yellow/light tan + sticky/oily vs dry crystal - this is not a big deal.

From your pictures it looks like you did alright. I'd scrape up what you can of the dry crystal and continue to dry the gooey stuff for a day or so until it scrapes up hard. It looks like there is a bit of moisture in it which should evaporate off.

I held the dish in front of a fan until I couldn't see any moving liquid and then left it uncovered in a cool dark area to evaporate some more.

Tryptallmine wrote:

Alternatively you could dissolve the goo (once free of water moisture) into some Iso Alcohol and infuse it into some herbs. Either way will do fine.

P.S - I usually wait around 4 hours before I start pulls after the initial base heat bath.
During the cleanup step, I'll simply start to pull after I see the cloudy reaction take place when the base is introduced and the pH is stable above 12. I like to keep the cleanup solution at around 30-40 degrees the entire time.

I ordered some dried peppermint leaves and organic white banisteriopsis caapi vine so I will take your advice and use infuse the goo into these herbs Smile

SnipeCookie
#5 Posted : 4/6/2016 4:39:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

cyb wrote:
SnipeCookie wrote:

The point of having salt in the mix is to push it out in the first couple of pulls...after that, it's just about depleting the maximum amount from the bark in subsequent pulls.
Leaving overnight wont hurt...but may pick up more yellowing colour.

Thank you, I actually did start looking into what the salt does. I was expecting some yellowing but in this pull and the last pull (which went bad in terms of waste) but didn't see any, I guess some tan spice did come out.

I have tried the spice from my first pull (roughly 10mg at a time, first times ever experiencing the spice) a couple times and the only negative I got was the taste