We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Rosintech Solventless Hashoil Options

Phantasma
#1 Posted : 4/5/2016 8:12:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I see that there isn't a guide here for rosintech, so i thought i would contribute, and drop some knowledge on my fellow stoners Very happy

First off I want to give the credit to soilgrown_solventless on IG, he is the one who first squished a bud and changed the game forever.

This is an extremely quick, effective, and EASY way to get yourself some tasty, dabbable, CLEAN, solvent-less hash oil.

You will need:
-A hair straightener or t shirt press
(IF its not temperature controlled you will NEED an IR thermometer gun)

-parchment paper
(NOT wax paper)

-a dab tool, to collect your product.

-a 25u screen
(optional, but makes cleanup easier)

-and of course some cannabis.
(shake, kief, bubble, and dry sift can also be used, but if anything other than a whole bud is being pressed, i HIGHLY suggest the 25u screen, as you will certainly have a decent amount of plant matter in your end product, which is a no-no and will take forever to clean without some kind of filter Razz)

STEP 1 - PREP

Your going to want to take you material and place it onto your parchment paper, and then fold the parchment over it, so that there is paper on both sides of the material like a sandwich.
(Once again, if this is anything other than a whole bud, you WILL get a significant amount of plant matter without a filter. You can use bubble bags, the 25u or other size screens, and i have also heard of coffee filters, though i DO NOT recommend).

paper
weed
paper

STEP 2 - PRESS

Once heated to a temperature of anywhere between 215 to 350 depending on the material (this is where the experimentation comes in as there isn't a completely defined "best" temperature, though i can say that if you are using a lot of plant material i would go a little higher and if you are using kief or sift or something of the like, i would go a bit lower) you are ready to press! For the sake of example, we will assume you are using a hair straightener, which IMO is best for personal amounts. You want to take you weed sandwich and squeeze it with the straightener for about 5 or so seconds. You need to press as HARD as you can here, pressure is KEY. Once it begins to sizzle, you want to stop squeezing it about 1 second later.

Viola! you have your hash oil!

Each bud or screen or whatever can be pressed anywhere from 2-4 times, so take the bud and press it until you aren't getting any more oil out of it, as you will immediately have an end product.
(USE A NEW PIECE OF PARCHMENT EACH TIME. This is important, as i have noticed a difference in quality when reusing a pressed piece of parchment.)

STEP 3 - CLEAN & COLLECT

Now you have all your little sheets of pressed rosin goodness, and you're ready to dab! Well all you have to do now is clean it up, which is pretty easy and quick, and collect it.
Take each sheet and hold it up to a light, you will easily see the hairs or small pieces of leaf inside rosin, and should be able to pick them out no problem.
(if you use a screen you will not have to clean it at all, as no plant matter should get through)

Once, and if, cleaned up you simply take your dab tool and collect all the rosin. I usually just rub it lightly on the papers and it comes right up, like tiny pieces of shatter

THAT'S IT!!!

3 simple steps to get some amazing, solvent-less, hash oil. The whole process to get one dab probably takes about 3 minutes, which is awesome especially if you don't like to smoke oils extracted with chemicals, and don't want to go through the hassle of getting a good full melt bubble hash.

TIPS
-if the plant matter is too dry, your press is likely to be as well. without moisture the oils cannot "run" out of the bud, and will probably just burn. Try to have a decently moist product, not moist enough to get moldy, but moist enough that its not brittle.

-EXPERIMENT! this is a really simple way to extract oils, and there are still so many opinions! with arguments coming left and right regarding pressure, timing, and temperatures as well as screen sizes and types of parchment paper, its obvious that there still isn't a locked down "perfect" formula. Plus you may want a more stable product, while someone else may just want more product. Its all about preference.

Thank you all so much for reading, I will be updating the guide as new information reveals itself about the technique, and hope that it helps my fellow stoners get some tasty hash oil for those extra tough days! Very happy

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Peace and love,

Phantasma

(i will post some pictures when i have an opportunity to do a press.)

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Gone-and-Back
#2 Posted : 9/5/2016 1:26:33 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I tried rosin out the other day with a small amount of kief that I had sitting around. It was only enough to get me two big dabs, but they were super potent and some of the tastiest I have ever had.

I have a gram of kief saved up, and am going to give it another go with that some time soon. I'll have to take pictures and see how good of a yield I get.
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

entheogenic-gnosis
#3 Posted : 9/5/2016 12:44:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I love rosintech, it reminds me of scissor-hash, well, it basically is, except for the fact that it was heated before being pressed out of the plant.

-eg

Gone-and-Back
#4 Posted : 9/5/2016 2:48:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

The best part of doing this process with kief, is that your making two forms of hash at the same time. Not only are you pressing out dabs, but the kief becomes super sticky and will press together into a patty. Some of the oils get trapped in there, and it all sticks together and becomes like some old school hash. Tastes just like it and has effects equal to those of some hash.
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

steppa
#5 Posted : 9/5/2016 3:23:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
but the kief becomes super sticky and will press together into a patty. Some of the oils get trapped in there, and it all sticks together and becomes like some old school hash.

Same with bud. It will becomes a patty. Oils get trapped in there. And (at least for me) oils get trapped in the screen also. I tried a variety of methods to extract weed. Rosin tech works and is fun. But I'll stick with solvent extraction.

Btw. there are nice and cheap one hand clamps, which work well together with hair straighteners.
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then it's not the end.

entheogenic-gnosis
#6 Posted : 9/5/2016 4:33:12 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Gone-and-Back wrote:
The best part of doing this process with kief, is that your making two forms of hash at the same time. Not only are you pressing out dabs, but the kief becomes super sticky and will press together into a patty. Some of the oils get trapped in there, and it all sticks together and becomes like some old school hash. Tastes just like it and has effects equal to those of some hash.

Old school hash?...

Like "bubble hash"?, This is cold water extract, the plant material is blended in ice water through a number of screens, the end product is a fragrant Brown powder.

Butane extract is fairly common, in my opinion it's the easiest method of extraction, all one would need is a length of glass piping (though other materials aside from glass can work), the piping would be filled with powdered cannabis, one end of the pipe will have filters connected to it, the other end will be modified to accept an aerosol butane can, the butane is blasted into the pipe, it becomes a liquid as it travels through the cannabis, taking cannabinoids with it, the liquid butane is collected in a dish and evaporated, what your left with is "shatter", this product still must be "purged" with heat to remove any lingering solvent, but your essentially left with a usable product as soon as the solvent evaporates.

There also propane extracts which give "wax" or "peanut-butter"

Then there are blended propane/butane extracts.

You also have alcohol extracts...

Then there's a machine called an Isomerizer, this converts CBD to THC, hash prepared in this manner is known as iso-hash...

Quote:
Isomerization can be accomplished with any of several solvents and acids. Alcohol and sulfuric acid isomerizes only 50-60% of CBD to THC; p-TolueneSulfonic Acid (p-TSA) in petroleum ether or other light, non-polar solvent will convert 90% of CBD to THC upon refluxing 1 hour at 130° F. (16, 17)

Reflux 3 gr CBD in 100 ml dry benzene for 2 hours with 200 mg p-TSA monohydrate until the alkaline Beam test (5% KOH in ethanol) is negative (no color). The Beam test gives a deep violet color with CBD. Separate the upper layer, wash it with 5% sodium bicarbonate, wash again with water, and strip the solvent. The remaining viscous oil should give a negative reaction to the Beam test. The crude THC can be purified by distillation (bp 169-172° C/0.03 mm), or by chromatography in 25 ml pentane on 300 gr alumina. Elute with pentane 95:5 ether to yield fraction of CBD and THC. Combine the THC fractions and distill (bp 175-178° C/1 mm).

Reflux 2 gr CBD in 35 ml cyclohexane, and slowly add a few drops of sulfuric acid. Continue to reflux until the Beam test is negative. Separate the sulfuric acid from the reaction mixture. Wash the solution twice with aqueous sodium bicarbonate, the twice again with water. Purify by chromatography, or distill (bp 165° C/0.01 mm). Any unreacted CBD can be recycled.

Another method is to reflux a mixture of 6 gr dry pyridine hydrochloride and 3 gr CBD at 125° C until the Beam test is negative. Wash the reaction mixture with water to remove the pyridine, then extract the mixture with ether. Wash the ether with water, evaporate the ether, and distill the residue i.v. to yield pure THC.

Similarly, reflux 3 gr CBD in 150 ml ethanol with 50 ml 85% phosphoric acid until the Beam test is negative. Work up the reaction mixture, and purify the THC.

Alternatively, reflux 3 gr CBD in 100 ml absolute ethanol containing 0.05% HCl for 19 hours. Extract the ether, wash the ether with water, dry, evaporate, and chromatograph on 400 gr alumina to yield:

(a) 0.5 gr 1-EthoxyHexaHydro-CBN (EHH-CBN: mp 86-87° C); elute with pentane 98:2 ether. Recrystalize from methanol and water.

(b) 2 gr THC; elute with pentane 95:5 ether. Repeated chromatography will separate the less polar forms.

(c) 0.5 gr EHH-CBN, eluted with pentane 93:7 ether. It can be isomerized to THC by refluxing in benzene for 2 hours. Cool the reaction mixture, wash it with water; separate, dry, and strip the solvent layer i.v. to yield THC.

CBD also can be isomerized by irradiation of a cyclohexane solution in a quartz vessel with a mercury lamp (235-265 nm) for 20 minutes. Workup of the reaction mixture yields 7-13% THC. (18-20)
http://www.hempbasics.com/hhusb/hh6thc.htm#HH63

Then you have "finger-hash" and scissor-hash", this is a result of trimming the plants, oils build up and solidify on the hands (gloves) and scissors, which are pooled together and smoked after a long day trimming.

rosintech reminds me of scissor hash, good stuff, very flavorful, THC is tasteless and odorless, it's the Flavonoids*, Terpenes and Terpenoids which are responsible for taste and smell as well as subtleties related to the subjective experience produced. So, pure THC May not be the ultimate goal here, leaving these other Flavonoids, Terpenes and Terpenoids present may be key to good hash.

*flavonoids that are unique to cannabis are called cannaflavins

-eg

steppa
#7 Posted : 9/5/2016 4:58:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Old school hash?...

I guess it's meant more like sieved / kneaded hash, as I wouldn't call bubble bags old school. But maybe that's just me.

Quote:

Then there's a machine called an Isomerizer, this converts CBD to THC, hash prepared in this manner is known as iso-hash...

Sure on this one? I was under the impression that ISO-Hash refers to hash extracted with Isopropyl alcohol.

Hence the name QWISO-Hash (Quick Wash ISO-Hash). Made by quickly "washing" the material with freezing cold IPA.

Gone-and-Back
#8 Posted : 9/6/2016 1:28:31 AM
DMT-Nexus member

So from a gram of kief, I was able to press out .1g of dabs from it. I pressed until I couldn't get anything else to come out, about 6 pressings.

The dabs produced are very clear, and have a amber color with a slight greenish tint. The kief left over is melted together and all sticky, and smokes pretty good and is potent still.

I feel this tech isn't very worth it unless your using an actual press made for this kind of stuff. I feel you just can't apply enough pressure by hand to get everything out.

Gone-and-Back
#9 Posted : 9/6/2016 1:35:25 AM
DMT-Nexus member

And by old school hash I mean resin glands that have been heated and pressed together. Not any of these solvent extractions that are done today.

benzyme
#10 Posted : 9/6/2016 1:42:44 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

precisely the kind of research I will partake in... analyzing the products of whimsical, dabberrific, whoabro teks, from the tried-and-true old school teks.

electrospray is a 'soft ionization' technique, ideal for this sort of thing
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

entheogenic-gnosis
#11 Posted : 9/6/2016 2:36:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

steppa wrote:
Quote:
Old school hash?...

I guess it's meant more like sieved / kneaded hash, as I wouldn't call bubble bags old school. But maybe that's just me.

Quote:

Sure on this one? I was under the impression that ISO-Hash refers to hash extracted with Isopropyl alcohol.

Hence the name QWISO-Hash (Quick Wash ISO-Hash). Made by quickly "washing" the material with freezing cold IPA.

Hmmm...

Bubble hash and cold water extract has been around forever...

In the past I remember that most those imported pressed hashish bars were water extract or were produced by methods elucidated in the video link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipYPLTArkcU
At 18:34 in this video link we see traditional hash making techniques preformed by Moroccan growers.

I suppose IPA extract is called "iso-hash" as well, however isomerizer-hash is also known as "iso-hash", isomerizer machines are an older phenomena, so iso-hash meaning "isomerizer hash" rather than IPA extract is probably a dated term.

Quote:
more than 200,000 isomerizers are said to have been sold with the expectation that the device will increase potency of weak marijuana up to six times. After 5 or 6 years on the market however, The isomerizing process hasn't really become popular. The main reasons appear to be because it's still too much trouble, and most people don't enjoy the taste of the "iso-hash" or oil which results since there is generally a a lingering inspection bicarbonate of soda that is used to neutralize the the sulfuric acid, some complain that "iso-hash" doesn't get them all that high, Robert Connell Clarke's marijuana botany provides a fuller discussion.
Psychedelics encyclopedia; Stafford; page 188

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#12 Posted : 9/6/2016 2:42:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Gone-and-Back wrote:
And by old school hash I mean resin glands that have been heated and pressed together. Not any of these solvent extractions that are done today.

Bubble hash is solventless...

Wait...Do you consider cold water a solvent?

The trichomes never actually dissolve in the H20, it's a heterogeneous mixture not a homogenous solution, so the H20 is not really even behaving like a solvent in this case...

-eg

steppa
#13 Posted : 9/6/2016 3:46:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:

From my understanding I think that if we talk about traditional hash, we refer to sifted and pressed or hand rubbed hash. I may be wrong, though.

arcologist
#14 Posted : 9/6/2016 11:50:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

entheogenic-gnosis wrote:
[quote=Gone-and-Back]
Bubble hash is solventless...

Wait...Do you consider cold water a solvent?

The trichomes never actually dissolve in the H20, it's a heterogeneous mixture not a homogenous solution, so the H20 is not really even behaving like a solvent in this case...

Well you do end up losing the water-soluble terpenes in the water, so to some extent it is acting as a solvent.

Gone-and-Back
#15 Posted : 9/7/2016 4:23:49 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I wouldn't count bubble hash. I'm talking dry sift that has been properly heated and pressed into a block. As stated before, bubble hash loses some terpenes to the water which play a significant role in the effects.

Old school traditional hash = dry sift that's heated and pressed.

steppa
#16 Posted : 9/7/2016 9:35:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Gone-and-Back wrote:

Only the lower qualities would need to be heated.

entheogenic-gnosis
#17 Posted : 9/7/2016 2:34:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

steppa wrote:
Quote:

From my understanding I think that if we talk about traditional hash, we refer to sifted and pressed or hand rubbed hash. I may be wrong, though.

No, your right, in the video I posted they are using "traditional" techniques, these Moroccan growers simply take the plant matter and sift off the trichomes, they then sift these through ever smaller diameter screens, and press them and so on, it's bubble-hash minus the water...

"Hand rubbed" and "scissor hash" or "finger hash" are the same thing, and I prefer them. THC is tasteless and odorless, it's the other terpenes, flavonoids, and terpenoids that contribute to rich taste, smooth smoke, and subtleties in subjective effects, so I prefer these types of hash rather than an extract that is mostly THC...

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#18 Posted : 9/7/2016 2:53:13 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Gone-and-Back wrote:
I wouldn't count bubble hash. I'm talking dry sift that has been properly heated and pressed into a block. As stated before, bubble hash loses some terpenes to the water which play a significant role in the effects.

Hmmm...

I suppose in some areas like the middle east and north Africa simply sifting trichomes off the dry plant, then filtering them through ever smaller screens before pressing them is traditional...

However,

Most "charas" in India is produced by picking an oil saturated bud and lightly rolling and rubbing the bud on your palms, over time and after several buds a thick sticky residue will build on the hands, with is then peeled off and rolled into bars, this is the method used to produce most the "charas" in the Himalayas regions and in India...which in a sense is much like rosintech in the end product.

...there were stories of the hash villages getting their most beautiful virgin girls and making them run through the cannabis field naked, when the girls emerged covered in resin, hot/warm knives were used to remove the residue from the girls skin, the residue was then pressed into bars...like hand charas but in mass amount.

Then there's "bhang" which was cannabis infused milk with butter added, which was traditional in India...

I still see bubble hash as old school, however the history of cannabis spans thousands of years, the the term "old school" is rather subjective.

Quote:
The 789 grams of dried cannabis was buried alongside a light-haired, blue-eyed Caucasian man, likely a shaman of the Gushi culture, near Turpan in northwestern China.

The extremely dry conditions and alkaline soil acted as preservatives, allowing a team of scientists to carefully analyze the stash, which still looked green though it had lost its distinctive odour.
https://www.thestar.com/...und_in_chinese_tomb.html

Quote:
Nearly two pounds of still-green plant material found in a 2,700-year-old grave in the Gobi Desert has just been identified as the world's oldest marijuana stash, according to a paper in the latest issue of the Journal of Experimental Botany.

A barrage of tests proves the marijuana possessed potent psychoactive properties and casts doubt on the theory that the ancients only grew the plant for hemp in order to make clothing, rope and other objects. -NBC news

They never found any utensils for consuming this cannabis in the grave with this "gushi shaman", it's possible it was consumed in a drink with milk like "bhang", or maybe it was smoked, buy then why no pipes burried?

Regardless, "old school" spans thousands of years and many cultures...

-eg

Jees
#19 Posted : 9/7/2016 3:39:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

entheogenic-gnosis wrote:
Quote:
...allowing a team of scientists to carefully analyze the stash...

Sure they did Smile , Hofmann style

All jokes aside, thanks for the info Wink