We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
P. Viridis leaf cuttings- browning tips Options

skoobysnax
#1 Posted : 3/23/2016 10:52:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I recently came across some true PV unrooted leaf cuttings Thumbs up . I really wasn't ready but got them while I could, I had been misting them after planting them with no humidity tent for 3 weeks. Today I made one with a clear bin and hope this improves their health. They are still green and roots are appearing but the leaf tips are browning. Should I clip the dead tips? Hopefully I can keep these babies alive. I have been pretty attentive and misting 3-5 times a day but was told I needed to tent them until they grow larger (which I estimate to be a few months).
Marijuana, LSD, psilocybin, and DMT they all changed the way I see
But love's the only thing that ever saved my life - Sturgill Simpson "Turtles all the Way Down"

Why am I here?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

dg
#2 Posted : 3/24/2016 1:26:18 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Cacti expert

the tips browned on mine and i ignored it, eventually shoots grew from the roots and the leaf died
but i'm no expert

Continuum
#3 Posted : 3/24/2016 11:19:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'd say if the tips are brown from drying, it's no problem, Just try to keep the humidity up so you have enough time to get shoots.

If the tip is brown from rot, like a deep, kind of slimy brown, cut it below the damage. It usually doesn't stop it at that point, but is worth a try.
Forge a Path with Heart <3

arcologist
#4 Posted : 3/24/2016 4:58:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Are you using any fertilizers? Overuse (especially on new plants) can cause brown tips as well.

skoobysnax
#5 Posted : 3/25/2016 11:21:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

arcologist wrote:
Are you using any fertilizers? Overuse (especially on new plants) can cause brown tips as well.

No but the soil was supplemented with some guano. Probably from not using a humidity tent which I just implemented. They are rooting though, hopefully I can get the shoots to appear before anything happens. At some point I will post a couple pics.
But love's the only thing that ever saved my life - Sturgill Simpson "Turtles all the Way Down"

Why am I here?

Continuum
#6 Posted : 3/26/2016 12:17:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You should be good to go. Believe it or not, kept in humidity, I still have some PV babies that the mother leaf still has green and is still pumping up the sprouts that were planted in 3/2015!!

Continuum attached the following image(s):
IMG_1316.JPG (1,711kb) downloaded 145 time(s).
IMG_1319.JPG (1,434kb) downloaded 144 time(s).

pinkoyd
#7 Posted : 3/26/2016 7:44:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extraordinary knowledgeSenior Member

skoobysnax wrote:
the soil was supplemented with some guano.

PV is not a particularly heavy feeder and the rooting leaves need no nutes till the new shoots are about four inches high.

Nice collection there Continuum! Are those REAL viridis?

Cool
I already asked Alice.

Continuum
#8 Posted : 3/26/2016 8:28:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

pinkoyd wrote:

Nice collection there Continuum! Are those REAL viridis?

Cool

I dunno... the guy who sent them seemed a little iffy. Razz Big grin Love

skoobysnax
#9 Posted : 3/29/2016 7:24:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

WOW Continuum! Those are beauties!! How do you keep them humid? Summer here is no problem (we need gills to breathe lol) but winter it gets pretty dry. I finally tented my leaf babies and my small established plant about 7" tall. I had a wooden skewer for support that molded and that makes me worry a bit. The skewer wasn't really needed so I removed it. maybe i should untent her and stick to misting? There is some airflow but maybe misting that one is fine and i can lose the tent?. I am trying to find the link but I read somewhere that Chamomile tea misted on them would help keep mold away? Maybe i imagined that...

Why am I here?

Continuum
#10 Posted : 3/29/2016 8:55:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Those cheap-o little greenhouses in the background are their homes. In the winter they're in those indoors next to a window.

I keep my leaf cutting pots in plastic bags until they're sprouted, just opening them up and fanning some fresh air every day or two.

Once they're established, the humidity keeps them prettier and the leaves from being crinkled, but doesn't seem to effect their health much beyond that.

Also, they seem to really like getting showered, leaves and all, from time to time, so either hit them with the hose soaking the whole plants or put them in your shower every so often in the winter. Oddball, that one. Most plants do better with just the pots watered, but not these guys.

Hydrogen peroxide is good for keeping mold at bay, when fresh air isn't doing it alone. A couple teaspoons in a misting bottle will help.

skoobysnax
#11 Posted : 3/30/2016 4:25:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Continuum wrote:
Those cheap-o little greenhouses in the background are their homes. In the winter they're in those indoors next to a window.

I keep my leaf cutting pots in plastic bags until they're sprouted, just opening them up and fanning some fresh air every day or two.

Once they're established, the humidity keeps them prettier and the leaves from being crinkled, but doesn't seem to effect their health much beyond that.

Also, they seem to really like getting showered, leaves and all, from time to time, so either hit them with the hose soaking the whole plants or put them in your shower every so often in the winter. Oddball, that one. Most plants do better with just the pots watered, but not these guys.

Hydrogen peroxide is good for keeping mold at bay, when fresh air isn't doing it alone. A couple teaspoons in a misting bottle will help.

Perfect! I have a little DIY hoop house I am moving these to after it stays over 65F at night. I think I may have saved my leaves by tenting them and the newest growth on the 7" is less crinkled. Thx for the peroxide tip.
The yellowing of these leaves concerns me a bit, although the new growth is greener. I have not had this one long but I only misted her for 4 weeks or so. Seems happier now but I sure would like to nip the yellowing and get her healthy.
skoobysnax attached the following image(s):
P. Viridis 2 copy 2.png (10,064kb) downloaded 104 time(s).

Why am I here?

skoobysnax
#12 Posted : 6/28/2016 7:38:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Been a minute since my OP so here is my update My PV looks great now (possibly P. Carth. even though the vendor insists) and the PV leaf pups have started to pop up and grow. Thx everyone for the advice Thumbs up

Why am I here?

Continuum
#13 Posted : 6/29/2016 7:01:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think the vendor is either misinformed or slimy. That does look like an alba/carth based on the leaf attachment to the stem.

It does look nice and healthy though, and now you have practice for other psychotrias. You can get some real PV leaves over at STS or I can point you to a couple Ebay vendors with properly ID'd leaves.

skoobysnax
#14 Posted : 7/1/2016 4:45:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cool, I think I may have found said ebayer a few months back. Here are the pups and the mimosa clone I was telling you about in another thread
skoobysnax attached the following image(s):
charlotte copy.jpg (7,384kb) downloaded 70 time(s).
mimi copy 3.jpg (7,728kb) downloaded 68 time(s).

Why am I here?

Continuum
#15 Posted : 7/1/2016 5:42:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice! Those do look like the real deal. There's a couple really easy identifiers for viridis vs. alba/carth, but he way the leaf attachs to the stem is the easiest to see in pica and most reliable indicator.

Awesome work with the mimosa! I gotta give it a go with mine...

Macre
#16 Posted : 7/3/2016 8:28:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Beautiful collection as ever. Great lineage too. I'm building a nice big greenhouse over the next couple of months, so my garden should be able to expand.

Peace

Macre
All things stated within this website by myself are expressly intended for entertainment purposes only.

All people in general, and users of this site are encouraged by myself, other members, and DMT-Nexus, to know and abide by the laws of the jurisdiction in which they are situated.

I, other members, and DMT-Nexus, do not condone or encourage the use, supply, or production of illegal drugs or controlled substances in any way whatsoever.

skoobysnax
#17 Posted : 11/7/2016 12:33:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Its so cool to look at these pics and see the plants today. My sad little P. Carth is now so strong, tall and green and my true PV and MH clone are thriving too. Time to move them in soon. They PV really loved being in the hoophouse all summer!!

Why am I here?