We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
From Gangs To Gardens Options

dreamer042
#1 Posted : 3/19/2016 4:57:18 AM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

Quote:
Check out filmmaker JLove Calderon's new film, ‘From Gangs To Gardens’ - a documentary following gang member turned organic gardener Ietef Vita. Vita, a hip hop musician, uses hip-hop culture to inspire young people to connect to the earth and educate them on gardening and healthy eating. In the film, Vita - who was recently invited, along with wife Alkemia (pictured below), to the White House to rep for Michelle Obama's Let's Move campaign - states, "Tribalism is ingrained in us. We're supposed to rep our hoods, our community. But when it becomes violent, when it becomes destructive, that's why I realized that enough of this has happened." Watch the trailer below and CLICK HERE to see the film in full (co-produced by M1 from dead prez).

By Alexander Aplerku, AFROPUNK Contributor

Source
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Psilociraptor
#2 Posted : 3/25/2016 3:02:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

This is really cool. I once put some heavy consideration into the possibilities of permaculture to rehabilitate ex-cons. A lot of it comes down to survival and I think a lot of communities can really be empowered by sustainable practices. Definitely bookmarking this film and watching it. Thanks

Mitakuye Oyasin
#3 Posted : 3/26/2016 3:19:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think fruits and veggies ain't all he's growing, ya know? More power to him and the community he helps.
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

concombres
#4 Posted : 3/26/2016 9:22:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I really like this concept. Now, if we could just get marijuana legalized, i think alot of gang members would actually discover they have a green thumb due to growing marijuana being so prominent.

Hopefully it catches on. I live in a community that is known for heavy gang activity & I can see something like this bringing alot of positive influence. There are some comkunity gardening projects going on here already, but not many go out & get involved aside from a few older members of the community who grow food to share with those who cannot afford to feed their families.