We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Headphones that get you "high" Options

Koornut
#1 Posted : 2/22/2016 1:14:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Florida based company Nervana have developed a set of headphones that supposedly trigger a dopamine hit while listening to music.
http://www.sciencealert....to-go-on-sale-next-month
I'm skeptical.

Inconsistency is in my nature.
The simple PHYLLODE tek

I'm just waiting for these bloody plants to grow

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

entheogenic-gnosis
#2 Posted : 2/22/2016 1:45:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I can see it, I've always imagined the day when stimulation of the brain to produce endogenous neurotransmitter release would replace consuming chemicals to achieve a similar effect...

Though I still think we have a way to go before this becomes reality, the path has been paved and it's just a matter of time...

Quote:
The device pumps music into your ears as normal, but at the same time, an integrated device will deliver a low-power electrical signal through your ear canal to stimulate the Vagus nerve - a nerve that runs from the brainstem to the abdomen and plays a role in the release of dopamine
-From the article

Digital methamphetamine....well, if they coupled the dopeamine release with some form of "digital dopeamine reuptake inhibitor" it would technically be analogous to amphetamine...

Drugs are becoming more like computers, while computers are becoming more like drugs -terence mckenna

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_machine
"Mindmachine"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helmet
"God helmet"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats
Binaural beats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isochronic_tones
Isochronic tones

http://www.google.com/ur...gJ2s3mIIoaa-HJ7BFCoOsx0g
Dream machine

-eg

null24
#3 Posted : 2/22/2016 3:58:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Interesting.

Good links, eg. I've been intrigued by binaural beats and constructed a dream machine many years ago.

I could never really get the dream machine to work for me, but the principle is sound. When I was young writing with my mom in the car, sometimes I would close my eyes and allow the flickering light to flash across my eyelids that is caused by a combination of the cars movement, the sun, and trees or other regular obstructions to the sunlight. Within seconds I would begin to experience dreamlike images

OT I know, but there are other ways to stimulate activity in the brain besides ingesting substances.

I'll check these headphones out that could be pretty cool.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Global
#4 Posted : 2/22/2016 9:48:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

As if I'm not already addicted to music, now I gotta be addicted to the headphones too?
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

BringsUsTogether
#5 Posted : 2/23/2016 1:27:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

null24 wrote:
Interesting.

Good links, eg. I've been intrigued by binaural beats and constructed a dream machine many years ago.

I could never really get the dream machine to work for me, but the principle is sound. When I was young writing with my mom in the car, sometimes I would close my eyes and allow the flickering light to flash across my eyelids that is caused by a combination of the cars movement, the sun, and trees or other regular obstructions to the sunlight. Within seconds I would begin to experience dreamlike images

OT I know, but there are other ways to stimulate activity in the brain besides ingesting substances.

Oddly enough, when I use binaural beats while sleeping, I often end up in an uncomfortable sleep paralysis...

entheogenic-gnosis
#6 Posted : 2/24/2016 2:28:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

null24 wrote:
Interesting.

Once when I was young I went through a "Closed Eye EEG Strobe Test", the flashing light produced vivid geometric patterns and brilliant colors on the backs of my eyelids. I was instantly intrigued, and after some research built my first "dreamachine".
I find that if you allow yourself to focus on the geometric patterns and colors and "let go" of what's going on around you, you can generate hypnogogic or disorienting mental states...

I've never tried the "mind machine", which is basically a dreamachine with added headphones which supply binaural beats and isochronic tones, but I can picture the effect it may produce.

I use binaural beats and isochronic tones for brainwave entrainment during meditation and occasionally sleep. Personally I feel these methods go beyond generating psychosomatic or placebo effects, and actually can be very effective.

I'm fascinated by consciousness, and methods of altering consciousness, and I feel in the future there will be methods of doing this that will make ingestion if chemical compounds an obsolete practice...but all this technology is still in its infancy...as is our understanding of consciousness itself...(serotonin was discovered in 1948, and it's importance in psychological function was realized shortly after. Before this, science was unaware that "chemicals" played an enormous role in mental function and psychological health. Now, the mid 1950s really was not that long ago, and in reality our understanding of consciousness and the mind is rudimentary at best.

Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), Transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) and other forms of neurostimulation May prove to yield promising results.

...Though as of now the old fashion methods (meditation, spiritual practice, and entheogens) seem to work best, I still eagerly attempt to incorporate these new technologies into my exploration of conscious states.

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#7 Posted : 2/24/2016 2:43:42 PM
DMT-Nexus member

BringsUsTogether wrote:
null24 wrote:
Interesting.

Oddly enough, when I use binaural beats while sleeping, I often end up in an uncomfortable sleep paralysis...

I suffer from sleep paralysis, and have since I was a child, though I can't say that I have noticed any direct connection between these states and my experimentation with brainwave entrainment.

There are mechanisms in place which prevent movement while dreaming, now, when the mind becomes fully awake, while the body is still in stage 5 sleep, you get sleep paralysis. Being paralyzed is scary as it is, only when it happens to me I'm generally unable to breathe, if I can't "snap out of it" I go into a state identical to a DMT flash, which sounds nice, but when your unable to tell if you died in your sleep or are in a "dream DMT flash" it becomes that much more terrifying...

I feel this is going off topic, so I'll finish with the information below.

Quote:
Exactly how the muscles are paralyzed has been a mystery, however. Early studies pegged a neurotransmitter called glycine as the culprit, but paralysis still occurred even when the receptors that read glycine's presence were blocked, disproving that notion.
So University of Toronto researchers Patricia Brooks and John Peever cast a wider net. They focused on two different nerve receptors in the voluntary muscles, one called metabotropic GABAB and one called ionotropic GABAA/glycine. The latter receptor responds to both glycine and a different communication chemical called gamma-aminobutyric acid, or GABA, while the first responds to GABA and not glycine.
The researchers used drugs to "switch off" these receptors in rats and discovered that the only way to prevent sleep paralysis during REM was to shut both types off at the same time. What that means is that glycine alone isn't enough to paralyze the muscles. You need GABA, too.
http://m.livescience.com...als-sleep-paralysis.html

-eg