We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Growing Cacti UK Options

JustCurious.
#1 Posted : 2/6/2016 7:07:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering whether it is feasible to attempt to grow bridgesii in the UK. I have read on a couple of other websites that it is indeed possible if they are kept dry in the winter. I was thinking of a greenhouse set up if it seems feasible, but have also read that keeping them indoors during the winter might be better. The duration and intensity of sunlight is probably the biggest concern, maybe I could add a light and heater to the greenhouse ?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience growing these in climates similar to that of the UK, since it will cost a fair bit of money to set up, I'm looking for advice on whether or not it is even worth attempting.

Thanks.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

soulfood
#2 Posted : 2/7/2016 2:29:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Bridgesii seem to be the best cacti to grow in the UK in terms of maximum growth per year.

Get them as much sun as they can in the warmer months, preferably outside, then make sure they are indoors before the first frost. I try to get them out by the end of March and they are usually back in by end of November, but as seasons can be quite unpredictable here, watch the weather closely and play it by ear. A little rain isn't too much trouble, but you don't want them over-watered.

Dormancy is essential in winter and is best achieved by withholding water and keeping them some place cold, but nowhere near freezing.

A good friend has also reported great results with an indoor LED setup, so that's always an option

Once I get the space, I shall be growing exclusively bridgesii Smile

Highly encouraged Smile

JustCurious.
#3 Posted : 2/7/2016 12:15:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the reply soulfood Pleased

That's brilliant, very encouraging indeed, exactly what I needed to hear !

I'm going to do a bit more research before I go about setting up. Any links for good info on growing in these climates ? I had a brief look around the net yesterday before I posted, and I couldn't find much related to growing specifically in the UK.

Thanks

DoingKermit
#4 Posted : 2/7/2016 12:35:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bridgesii is a good shout by soulfood. I had 2 San Pedro's that grew absolutely fine indoors without a light setup.

Good luck!

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 2/7/2016 9:59:41 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

A sunny windowsill does just fine for several species of trich, even the dormancy thing I've found to be not especially important. Trichocereus care is not like standard cactus care. They grow like tomato plants (minus the tomatoes. And the leaves) in the summer, especially if you mist them regularly. Think annual harvesting once they're established.

Mine are also 2ft above a radiator which may make something of a difference in the winter vis-a-vis dormancy.

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

JustCurious.
#6 Posted : 2/10/2016 4:41:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Spanishfly
#7 Posted : 2/20/2016 1:46:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

soulfood wrote:

Dormancy is essential in winter and is best achieved by withholding water and keeping them some place cold, but nowhere near freezing.

In habitat, cacti do not become dormant in winter. Certainly their growth slows, but last year´s growth will be hardening and ripening in preparation for next season. In Mexico, where many popular species have their habitat, winter is a sunny but cool and dry season. I try to emulate that by keeping mine in cold frames for 3 months. I still often get the first flowers in January.
Life is a shit sandwich - the more bread you got, the less shit you eat.

downwardsfromzero
#8 Posted : 2/21/2016 1:01:57 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I've watered and misted my beauties a few times this winter already. We'll see if they suddenly rot Big grin

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli