We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Psychedelics may turn you into a Pagan Options

DisEmboDied
#1 Posted : 2/5/2016 4:28:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

http://www.paganfederation.org/what-is-paganism/

According to this psychedelics for the most part make all people pagans.

Agree or disagree?

Meditate before you venture, take it seriously, use it as medicinal—it is good psychotherapy if needed. Realize that you, the Earth, others, and the Universe are all one and the same process. Then take that knowledge back to become, as you already are, one with nature. Eternity in every moment. Divinity in every particle. All is one organism.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

spinCycle
#2 Posted : 2/5/2016 4:58:03 PM

Life is Art is Life

They turned me into a newt!

(I got better.)
Images of broken light,
Which dance before me like a million eyes,
They call me on and on...

BundleflowerPower
#3 Posted : 2/5/2016 8:29:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well of course they can. They show you that there's some kind of mind in nature, that all is one.

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 2/5/2016 11:19:03 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Psychedelics cured me of religion altogether, by showing me real spirituality. It wasn't easy...

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

hixidom
#5 Posted : 2/6/2016 1:47:30 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I would never call myself "pagan". As a label it is both nondescriptive and loaded with connotations.
Every day I am thankful that I was introduced to psychedelic drugs.

BringsUsTogether
#6 Posted : 2/6/2016 2:19:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I dunno about this one... DMT_Tom is a self described "Christian bro" here on the nexus.

Jees
#7 Posted : 2/6/2016 6:05:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Paganism is acutely and chronically splintered, each coven doing different while trying to follow some roots. And then there are different roots, go figure.

So no way to think of it like this or that, and sure when it comes down to real plant usage.

In the pagan circles (where I live) the covens have little to non, even some show aversion, to psychedelic plant use. Their thing is "cake and wine" to close each event or gathering and the booze paints the scenery.

TBH I was surprised they took so little interest in the potentials of plants. But as said, I am sure there are other covens having a totally other take on.

BundleflowerPower
#8 Posted : 2/6/2016 1:21:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jees wrote:
Paganism is acutely and chronically splintered, each coven doing different while trying to follow some roots. And then there are different roots, go figure.

So no way to think of it like this or that, and sure when it comes down to real plant usage.

In the pagan circles (where I live) the covens have little to non, even some show aversion, to psychedelic plant use. Their thing is "cake and wine" to close each event or gathering and the booze paints the scenery.

TBH I was surprised they took so little interest in the potentials of plants. But as said, I am sure there are other covens having a totally other take on.

Dude, all paths lead to the light. At least as far as mystism goes, it doesn't matter if it's Christian, Sufism, peaganism, Buddhist, whatever. They all lead to the same exact place. Only thing that matters is what's real to you.

Jees
#9 Posted : 2/6/2016 3:05:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

BundleflowerPower wrote:
...Dude, all paths lead to the light...
Dude Wink , I was not criticizing paganism if you think I was, just factual describing paganism in what I know of it.

Been to several of them open circles for years (had one few weeks back actually), lots of nightly walks in the woods, doing little ceremonies, singing, dancing, gathering, pagan festivals, drags a lot of people of several strokes, I think they do just fine. But all in all not my cup of tea to commit the vast studies and time invest that come with apprenticing in a coven. For that I love too much working with the plants as a focus.

Peace Love

BundleflowerPower
#10 Posted : 2/6/2016 5:34:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jees wrote:
BundleflowerPower wrote:
...Dude, all paths lead to the light...
Dude Wink , I was not criticizing paganism if you think I was, just factual describing paganism in what I know of it.

Been to several of them open circles for years (had one few weeks back actually), lots of nightly walks in the woods, doing little ceremonies, singing, dancing, gathering, pagan festivals, drags a lot of people of several strokes, I think they do just fine. But all in all not my cup of tea to commit the vast studies and time invest that come with apprenticing in a coven. For that I love too much working with the plants as a focus.

Peace Love

Didn't intend it to sound like that

Jees
#11 Posted : 2/6/2016 7:31:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The pitfalls of forum communication Pleased
Sometimes it's hard to interpret wordings.

After caring of the roots, he vast splintering of pagan religion is also its advantage like each coven being so different that one can pick point the one that resonate most. There is such a liberty in how the roots are filled in by each coven. Quite the opposite from the typical inflexible top-down strategy that most religions do. There is a pagan pattern and then liberty on top of that, very unique.

travsha
#12 Posted : 2/6/2016 7:49:12 PM

Share Love ~

hixidom wrote:
I would never call myself "pagan". As a label it is both nondescriptive and loaded with connotations.

Exactly.

Googled the definition of "pagan": "a person holding religious beliefs other than those of the main world religions."

Seems pretty vague and non-descriptive. Since hundreds of different religions get classified as pagan, calling yourself pagan doesnt really identify you very well. Many of the "pagan" religions are so different from each other that is seems overly simplistic to classify them together and I think kinda degrades the religions classified that way.

Personally, psychedelics led me to a similar view as pantheists. I think this is more accurate to describe myself as then pagan, partly because pagan is too vague, and partly because I do not believe in any traditional pagan Gods or holidays or religions ect....

anne halonium
#13 Posted : 2/6/2016 9:50:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

the closest i get to religion is pokemon.
( im serious about this)
i consider it shinto for psychonauts.
"loph girl incarnate / lab rabbits included"
kids dont try anything annie does at home ,
for for scientific / educational review only.

hixidom
#14 Posted : 2/7/2016 1:12:48 AM
DMT-Nexus member

anne halonium EDIT: travsha wrote:
partly because I do not believe in any traditional pagan Gods or holidays or religions ect....

This too! Paganism was once a major world religion, so it comes with it's own baggage.

travsha EDIT: anne halonium wrote:

I've considered church for my future children being something like watching Dragonball.

dreamer042
#15 Posted : 2/7/2016 3:28:40 AM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

The word pagan originates from the Latin paganus meaning roughly peasant or villager, derived from pagus meaning roughly country district or village. The word was adopted by Christians to apply to civilians, literally those who were not soldiers in the army of Christ, and equated with heathenism around the 14th century coming to be defined as "worshipper of false gods". It's also interesting to note that the word heathen dates back to a Christianized German adjective meaning "inhabiting open country" making the terms nearly identical.

In this day and age we have expanded the definitions of both pagan and heathen to mean anyone who doesn't follow a major religion.
Google wrote:
Pagan: a person holding religious beliefs other than those of the main world religions.

Heathen: a person who does not belong to a widely held religion (especially one who is not a Christian, Jew, or Muslim) as regarded by those who do.

Ironically enough, Paganism itself has become a religion, even to the point that it is now officially recognized by the US military.

You have to make a distinction between paganism/neo-paganism as the umbrella term for a large and diverse movement of groups loosely affiliated by a foundational belief in nature worship, which encompasses all earth-based traditions; and paganism as witchcraft, as it is practised by those who actually call themselves pagans. The latter is generally what you will think of when you hear pagan: naked rituals in the moonlight, invoking the magickal forces of nature, and calling the names of the olde gods. Even in the specialized witchcrafting definition of paganism you have extensive divisions: Ceremonial Magickians and Wiccans, Gardnerians and Alexandrians, Eclecticists and Traditionalists, on and on...

I think psychedelics do catalyse something of a new found respect for nature, if not a slightly more animistic outlook, at least a deeper sense of the interconnected nature of our universe. In that sense I do think that psychedelics tend to at least make their users moar sympathetic to pagan values. Psychedelics also represent a strong threat to the orthodoxy and power structures of major religions, and in that way I'd also suggest psychedelic users are probably going to end more sympathetic to pagan values, if not full converts to "religious beliefs other than those of the main world religions."

I guess it all depends on how you define it, but realistically the path of working with the plants is tapping a direct gnosis that pre-dates all these silly religious ideas and associations and I think that is exactly the state of conciousness the neo-pagan movement has been looking to revive all along.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Hiyo Quicksilver
#16 Posted : 2/7/2016 5:27:07 AM

just some guy

I was pagan before psychedelics, and still they only inspired me to more closely examine my beliefs and ontological assumptions. While I must say that being raised in a non-christian way certainly helped me to integrate the experience, I certainly cannot say that psychedelics re-affirmed any of my beliefs. They shook every single one.

Global
#17 Posted : 2/7/2016 1:24:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

I would say that for those of us in particular who have encountered Egyptian/Hindu/Aztec/Mayan deities, and believe those interactions to be genuine at some level, are enacting a pagan mindset.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

travsha
#18 Posted : 2/7/2016 4:46:18 PM

Share Love ~

hixidom wrote:
anne halonium wrote:
partly because I do not believe in any traditional pagan Gods or holidays or religions ect....

This too! Paganism was once a major world religion, so it comes with it's own baggage.

travsha wrote:

I've considered church for my future children being something like watching Dragonball.

Weird, you switched up who said what quote lol

hixidom
#19 Posted : 2/8/2016 10:26:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for pointing that out! Good catch. I fixed it...kinda.

JDSalinger
#20 Posted : 2/9/2016 1:00:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The psychedelic experience is very subjective, what I believe it does do (for the most part) is create a respect for different belief systems and what they have to teach.

What it did for me is brought me closer to God, whom I was very angry at and hadn't gone to church in years. I believe people are put off, not only Christianity, but other mainstream faiths because of a confusion between what the 'organisation' teaches and what that religion really is.

IMO paganism has appeal because of a lack of real structure and doctrine and therefore has more freedom.

Smile
“Among other things, you'll find that you're not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You're by no means alone on that score, you'll be excited and stimulated to know. Many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You'll learn from them—if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry.” J.D. Salinger.

12NEXT