We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123NEXT
What is your favourite colour of spice? Red, Yellow, or White? Options

benzyme
#21 Posted : 9/10/2016 5:12:52 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

light pink. smelled fishy/floral.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

strtman
#22 Posted : 9/10/2016 9:18:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

My spice is always slightly yellow. What is gives differs tremendously from trip to trip.

Quiet the mind and the soul will speak

#23 Posted : 9/10/2016 12:07:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

No discrimination here Big grin Twisted Evil

endlessness
#24 Posted : 9/10/2016 1:03:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My bet is nobody could tell any of them apart if doing a blind test..

But feel free to prove me wrong Very happy

obliguhl
#25 Posted : 9/10/2016 1:10:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Golden teacher and Cambodians. Even though Cambodians tend to be a bit "darker" and "cynical" at times. As for potency...B+ but they are not so visual!

...oops, wrong forum.

tseuq
#26 Posted : 9/10/2016 1:23:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

offtopic:
obliguhl wrote:
Golden teacher and Cambodians. Even though Cambodians tend to be a bit "darker" and "cynical" at times. As for potency...B+ but they are not so visual!

endlessness wrote:

A cube is a cube is a cube ...

endlessness wrote:

tseuq
Everything's sooo peyote-ful..

obliguhl
#27 Posted : 9/10/2016 2:12:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

#28 Posted : 9/10/2016 3:23:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

obliguhl wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Running Bear
#29 Posted : 9/11/2016 5:56:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:

True and because of this white or clear are the best. Because its a more pure/clean substance. White DMT is also less harsh on the lungs and is usually more potent by weight. Personally I really care about my health and feel that a re-x is important.

This is only my opinion. I know that some of you love gooey/yellow dmt so try not 2 get upset lol

DeeMenTalist
#30 Posted : 9/11/2016 2:25:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Running Bear wrote:
White DMT is also less harsh on the lungs and is usually more potent by weight. lol

Less harsh yes but regarding potency my experience is opposite.

endlessness
#31 Posted : 9/11/2016 2:31:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Running Bear wrote:
endlessness wrote:

True and because of this white or clear are the best. Because its a more pure/clean substance. White DMT is also less harsh on the lungs and is usually more potent by weight. Personally I really care about my health and feel that a re-x is important.

This is only my opinion. I know that some of you love gooey/yellow dmt so try not 2 get upset lol

I think you said the opposite of what I said lol

DMT is polymorphic, even pure DMT can be a yellow oil. Unless you test it with some analytical method, I think claims of purity are speculation at best.

benzyme
#32 Posted : 9/11/2016 3:17:14 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

the only way to definitively determine the conformations about the alpha carbon is with x-ray crystallography.
and even then, ratios of conformations aren't any indication of purity.

is there any research data correlating binding affinities with respect to those conformations?
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

endlessness
#33 Posted : 9/11/2016 3:41:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No data AFAIK.
Just to make myself clear, I mentioned the use of analytical methods to acess the purity, not the conformation. The comment about polymorphism is just to state that outward appearance of a substance looking by naked eye doesn't necessarily bear any relation to purity.

entheogenic-gnosis
#34 Posted : 9/11/2016 4:21:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:

Agreed.

I doubt they would be distinguishable from one another in a blind test.

Color is actually a very poor gauge for potency or purity of the dimethyltryptamine.

Dimethyltryptamine is almost certainly polymorphic, there can be pure DMT which is yellow, and there can be pure DMT which is translucent. Polymorphism has also been put forward as a means to explain variable melting points published for the compound.

The research below details this property of dimethyltryptamine:

Quote:
DMT may exist in two or more polymorphic forms and it was the aim of this study to examine the potential polymorphism of DMT via X-ray powder diffraction (XRPD) and differential scanning calorimetry (DSC), including fast scan DSC. DMT samples were prepared following extraction from Mimosa tenuiflora inner barks or by laboratory synthesis and then its crystals were recrystallized from solutions of the alkaloid using either hexane or acetonitrile. Irrespective of source, crystals originating from synthesis were predominantly white crystals obtained using crystallization from hexane, whereas yellow samples following recrystallization with acetonitrile. Irrespective of source or solvent, two polymorphs appeared to exist with melting points, determined by DSC, of 57 °C to 58 °C for Form I and 45 °C to 46 °C for Form II. Estimates for their enthalpies were 91.9 ± 2.4 J g− 1 for Form I and 98.3 ± 2.8 J g− 1 for Form II. Form II converted to Form I during DSC; conversion was thus prevented by fast scanning rates of 100 °C min− 1. A transition temperature (Tg) in the range − 21 °C (2 °C min− 1) to − 13 °C (100 °C min− 1) was determined depending on DSC scanning rate. Its closeness to the melting point indicates a tendency of Form II to convert to Form I on storage, a phenomenon that was also facilitated by grinding. this study indicates that the presence of differently colored DMT free base crystals obtained from recrystallization might also point towards the existence of polymorphs rather than just the presence of impurities.
http://www.sciencedirect...e/pii/S0026265X13000544

It's also speculated that residual oils or plant lipids may in fact aide in the vaporization of the dimethyltryptamine, and though they may be minor impurities, they may not entirely unwanted.

Most will still prefer translucent crystals.

My most intense experience was facilitated by a large dose of lightly yellow tinted translucent crystals of Dimethyltryptamine freebase.

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#35 Posted : 9/11/2016 4:34:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Running Bear wrote:
endlessness wrote:

Quote:
White spice can be pure but it may have colorless impurities like solvent traces or other invisible trace toxic impurities from chemicals used, which are not good to smoke. If you have made sure to use clean chemicals and clean procedure, and extracted DMT from a clean plant source, white spice is more likely of a reasonable purity
-endlessness https://www.dmt-nexus.me...spx?g=posts&t=11715

Color is a very poor indication of purity or potency. DMT is almost certainly polymorphic, and may exist in pure form in both yellow and translucent color. I outlined this in my last post and I believe endlessness mentioned this before myself.

Residual oils plant and lipids may actually aide in vaporization of the compound, making it vaporize more effectively, providing a smoother inhalation... though most chemistry enthusiasts feel every thing should be purified regardless...

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...spx?g=posts&t=11715
The thread above is very informative regarding the color of dimethyltryptamine and what it may indicate, I highly recommend it.

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#36 Posted : 9/11/2016 4:40:00 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Running Bear wrote:
endlessness wrote:

I do not like "gooey" dimethyltryptamine, I feel this almost certainly indicates an abundance of impurities, oils, lipids, N-methyl-tryptamine (NMT is an issue encountered with ACRB, it's not present in MHRB) residual solvent, perhaps you used a solvent that did not evaporate cleanly...a number of things could be the cause, regardless I feel pure DMT free base will be crystalline, regardless of color.

-eg

endlessness
#37 Posted : 9/11/2016 7:17:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Arent you contradicting yourself there? First you talk about how DMT can be polymorphic (as had been already linked earlier in the thread but maybe you missed?), and then your last post you try to relate the appearance to the content/purity? That was exactly the point before, that the appearance does NOT necessarily relate to the content/purity. That publication about DMT's polymorphism clearly states that pure DMT can be yellow oil, not crystalline, so I dont understand how you "feel pure DMT freebase will be crystalline".

By the way, NMT is present in Mimosa too, just in smaller quantities than Acacia. But small quantities of other products which might not be enough to feel subjectively the difference but yet can also affect crystallization, which adds yet another factor to further complicates the idea that you can judge the purity by the looks

Godsmacker
#38 Posted : 9/11/2016 8:02:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

AFAIK, my favorite color of DMT is rainbow pluto; that's the color I get whenever I take a great big rippa changa which then leads me off down the rabbit hole and into Plato's fractalline cave of knowledge and platypus people.

I changatize all the spice I get from the freeze-precip STAT; I don't bother to add food dyes and what-nutt to my creation(s); so as long as I get something which won't damage my brizzain too much, it's gonna get sucked up into a puddle of harmala-ridden acetone and infused into whatever uninfected/clean/kosher dried herbs I have at hand into a changalicious concoffany which even Zeus' ego couldn't care to compare itself to!

IDGAF about the color, shape or size of my Xtals; so as long as they make for a good, non-carcinogenic, non-toxic, mind-blowingly beautiful batch of changalicious perfection, all colors of Xtals are my favorite flavor of Xtals Razz (as long as they originate from a PV, MHRB, and/or chaliponga extraction! I hate NMT-laced changa blends... Thumbs down )
'"ALAS,"said the mouse, "the world is growing smaller every day. At the
beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad
when at last I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have
narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner
stands the trap that I must run into." "You only need to change your direction," said
the cat, and ate it up.' --Franz Kafka

skoobysnax
#39 Posted : 9/12/2016 5:05:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Godsmacker wrote:

IDGAF about the color, shape or size of my Xtals; so as long as they make for a good, non-carcinogenic, non-toxic, mind-blowingly beautiful batch of changalicious perfection, all colors of Xtals are my favorite flavor of Xtals Razz (as long as they originate from a PV, MHRB, and/or chaliponga extraction! I hate NMT-laced changa blends... Thumbs down )

Funny, i have a yet untested acrb changa that i lowered the harmalas in just because of that NMT bodyload. Orange goo from an ethanol extraction, itching for the right time.
Marijuana, LSD, psilocybin, and DMT they all changed the way I see
But love's the only thing that ever saved my life - Sturgill Simpson "Turtles all the Way Down"

Why am I here?

entheogenic-gnosis
#40 Posted : 9/12/2016 2:44:11 PM
DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
Arent you contradicting yourself there? First you talk about how DMT can be polymorphic (as had been already linked earlier in the thread but maybe you missed?), and then your last post you try to relate the appearance to the content/purity? That was exactly the point before, that the appearance does NOT necessarily relate to the content/purity. That publication about DMT's polymorphism clearly states that pure DMT can be yellow oil, not crystalline, so I dont understand how you "feel pure DMT freebase will be crystalline".

By the way, NMT is present in Mimosa too, just in smaller quantities than Acacia. But small quantities of other products which might not be enough to feel subjectively the difference but yet can also affect crystallization, which adds yet another factor to further complicates the idea that you can judge the purity by the looks

You can't judge purity just by looks, but you can gain some insight regarding it, color means nothing, unless it's like blue or something, but texture and consistency does tell a piece of the story... if the product is an oil at room temperture, and if it's not a solid at a constant weight, and was produced by standard extraction techniques, then there's a good chance that there's residual lipids and oils, residual solvent, possibly a solvent which does not evaporate cleanly was used, trace alkaloids, and so on...

So No, I don't think I contradicted myself, I may have chosen better wording, but I don't see any contradiction.

I said color is a poor indicator of potency or purity.

The research I posted never mentions pure DMT freebase as an oil...after a text search of the text the word "oil" was only found twice, once in the reference section, and once here:
Quote:
. The first distillation yielded an oil that crystallized with a melting point of 44 °C–46 °C.
http://www.sciencedirect...e/pii/S0026265X13000544

http://www.sciencedirect...S0026265X13000544#t0005
This table elucidates the end state of the DMT after re-crystallization.
amorphous or waxy dimethyltryptamine is still a solid product, crystalline May have been a poor choice of words, as at times your end product may be a Pale amorphous solid or have a waxy texture... Though I distinguish this state from an "oily" or "gooey" product.

While in some situations it's said pure DMT can be an oil at room temperature, how often is that the case from general extraction techniques? oily or gooey DMT can actually be a decent approximate indicator as to whether the extract was properly preformed, and if it contains potential contaminants...

Though MHRB contains minor amounts of NMT, it seems that with ACRB NMT resulting in an oily product is common, while with MHRB it's a generally a non-issue.

It's not like visual examination is accurate, but if something doesn't look right it's best to ask some questions, no?

-eg

PREV123NEXT