We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Storing water/lye/rootbark and naphtha Options

Sandgrease
#1 Posted : 12/30/2015 6:56:04 PM
DMT-Nexus member

My glass pipette just broke and I havr two jars full of basic watet, rootbark and np solvent. Can I store this for about a week. I can't get a glass pipette for about a week and don't trust plastic turkey basters.

How long can I store these jars with the lids on in a garage?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

null24
#2 Posted : 12/30/2015 6:58:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

What kind of jars? Masons have plastic in the lids that wi degrade due to nps/lye within that time. If you don't intend to shake or anything maybe cover with something else- foil ?

A glass baster may be found at an overpriced natural food store ( Food Hole, No Reasons) for about $5usd.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Sandgrease
#3 Posted : 12/30/2015 8:13:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Pickle jars with some kind of metal lids

Sandgrease
#4 Posted : 12/30/2015 8:20:55 PM
DMT-Nexus member

People do long pulls with naphtha right? I've read that people do up to a month or something crazy.

null24
#5 Posted : 12/30/2015 9:36:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

U should be fine. Maybe remove any plastic lining the kid.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Tryptallmine
#6 Posted : 12/30/2015 11:45:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You'll probably find that after a week some of the red color will pull across into your solvent. I've left solvent in a mix for around a week, when I finally had the chance to pull it, it had taken some pigment and finer particles with it.

Make sure you give it a back salt (Mini A/B) at a minimum and maybe recrystallization if your worried about it. Other than that as null pointed out, just cover with foil or something other than plastic that will degrade from fumes and/or contact with bases & solvents.

Happy New Year!

Sandgrease
#7 Posted : 12/31/2015 3:48:57 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I pulled with 200 ml of heptane so it should theoretically pull less plant fats and whatnot, and the lids are made of some kind of metal. Hoping I don't have to wait a full week to syphon.

downwardsfromzero
#8 Posted : 1/2/2016 5:42:30 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

null24 wrote:
cover with something else- foil ?

Aluminium is corroded by the caustic solution. A steel lid with a silicone gasket should be OK.

Storage for a week or a month or three shouldn't be problematic as long you keep your caustic soup somewhere suitably safe and secure. I have reliable knowledge that the base solution can be stored in a cool environment for three years...

During that time the NPS evaporates and crystals form at the top of the jar. These can be removed, washed in cold sodium carbonate solution and recrystallised. Not suggesting that you actually try this... but yields were pretty good (apparently).

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Sandgrease
#9 Posted : 1/5/2016 2:59:35 PM
DMT-Nexus member

The heptane ended up turning a yellowish color at about 6 days in the jars. Flipped the jars onced a few days ago.

The rootbark/water mix is dark purple still.

Considering I used ACRB and got yellow heptane, I'll probably end up with goo or oily crystals (hopefully)

If I knew how to post pics I would.

TGO
#10 Posted : 1/6/2016 12:44:01 AM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Sandgrease wrote:

If I knew how to post pics I would.

Type your post as you normally would then check the box in the lower left corner that says "attach files to this post?"

Then click post and it will redirect you to a screen where you can upload your images.

Smile
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

coAsTal
#11 Posted : 5/4/2016 10:00:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've stored the based MHRB solution in glass jars for multiple years with no overt issues-- but as mentioned above, any coating on the inside of the lid will degrade if the lye solution or naptha (not sure which one) sits on it.