We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Calea Zecatachichi, MAOIs, and Mixtures Options

stimoceiver
#1 Posted : 12/25/2015 1:14:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Over the past few years I've experimented with several potential oneirogens as an aid to getting better and more restful sleep. Along the way I discovered Calea Zecatachichi in the form of some capsules at my local health food store from a vendor named "DreamBoost." And if you're interested in the possibility of experimenting with some tried and tested oneirogens, you cant beat C. Zecatachichi aka Calea Ternifolia. The stuff has produced some of the most amazing, memorable, and lucid dreams I've ever had. Some people report minimal results, and I'm not sure about the active compounds in this plant, but seems to work best for me when I leave a few days to a week between dosages, so my guess is some of the active compounds may have a longer half life.

Now, Dream Boost has since gone out of business and I've switched to using the extremely bitter but potent extracts sold on ebay and elsewhere. But recently while reading and re-reading about how MAOI's work in the context of ayahuasca and how they are known to render biologically active certain otherwise inactive compounds and potentiate others, it occurred to me: DreamBoost used to have a warning on it against mixing the product with MAOI's.

I seem to remember that the wording of this warning came out and directly said something to the effect that MAOI's will potentiate the effects. However I just went to search google images for the label, and the only label I found definitely has a "newer edition" of the warning label written like a real warning label and with wording that is substantially lengthier than what I remember. Nonetheless given that the product was a mix of "Calea Ternifolia, Mugword Extract, Wild Lettuce Extract, Passionflower Extract, L-5-Hydroxytryptophan (L-5-HTP), Green Tea Extract, Dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE), and Vinpocetine" (!) I do not disagree that a stern warning against indiscriminate mixing with MAOI's is likely appropriate.

But the fact the original warning label spoke of potentiation begs the question, has anyone tried mixing C. Zecatachichi with MAOI's? Has anyone ever heard of it being used as an admixture in an ayahuasca brew? I know people sometimes report that C. Zecatachichi is inactive for them and I respect that peoples body chemistries may be quite different in many regards. But the method of administration may also be key. Many people try smoking it - and some report some effects. However some of the experiences I've had after ingesting the extract form have been so awe inspiring that I would highly recommend anyone who is interested in the subject of oneirogens to try this specific method of ingestion, and don't do it every day. As for now I can only wonder about its effects if used as an admixture to a full ayahuasca brew.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

dreamer042
#2 Posted : 12/25/2015 6:35:51 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

I suspect the warning about combining that product with MAOI's may have more to do with he fact it contains 5-htp than there being any kind of potentiation of the actives in the calea. MAOI + sero precursor = sero syndrome.

Regarding some people not getting effects, with calea I've found most people need to take it for multiple nights in a row before they start getting dream enhancement effects. Most people start getting it by the second or third night, but I've seen cases where people had to take it nightly for up to a week before they got any effects.

I have used calea with harmalas and dmt pretty extensively in changa blends. I do find the calea seems to help a bit with lucidity within the experience and aides in recall when returning in much the same way it does with dreams. It may not be the tastiest additive but it's certainly effective in this regard. I haven't experimented with utilizing oral calea with ayahuasca yet, but I suspect it would have much the same effect it does when smoalked in changa.

If you are big on the oneirogens you should look into Silene capensis and Synaptolepis kirkii as well.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca