We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
first LED grow... with pics! Options

anrchy
#1 Posted : 12/9/2015 3:43:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So these plants were given to me by a friend and we're grown to about 5 weeks or so under T5's. For some reason I decided it was a good idea to start dumping money into this little adventure and went out and got myself an LED grow light to see how well it works.

Short plant is a sour diesel and the taller one is unknown. Since I put them under the LED they have exploded.

P300 advanced platinum led
Fox farm ocean forest soil
Currently in flower mode 12/12

Left pic is day one with led, right is day 9
anrchy attached the following image(s):
2015-12-03 12.09.10.jpg (3,111kb) downloaded 399 time(s).
Open your Mind (โ’ถ) Please read my DMT vaping guide (โ’ถ) Fear is the mind killer

"Energy flows where attention goes"

[Please review the forum Wiki and FAQ before posting questions]

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

anrchy
#2 Posted : 12/9/2015 3:46:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yesterday. Sorry about the sideways pic... uhg
anrchy attached the following image(s):
20151207_112353.jpg (6,059kb) downloaded 393 time(s).
Open your Mind (โ’ถ) Please read my DMT vaping guide (โ’ถ) Fear is the mind killer

arcologist
#3 Posted : 12/9/2015 6:53:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice, I have 2x of the P150 lights and they have been working well for me in my double cabinet grow. The LEDs are almost essential due to heat/ventilation issues, CFLs were running at ~90F in my boxes. Have a northern lights and og kush about 1-2 weeks from harvest in a scrog setup.

SnozzleBerry
#4 Posted : 12/9/2015 7:06:47 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Hey man, for whatever it's worth, I think you could drop that light significantly and get more out of both it and your plants. Doing so should eliminate some of the stretch that seems to be taking place and give you tighter spacing between the nodes, reducing popcorn buds. Limiting factor on light spacing is usually the heat factor, but you're using led's, so you should be able to get the light super close and really make use of all the energy it's throwing off without harming your plants.

Sour diesel is a sativa, iirc, so you're likely gonna see a lot of vertical growth when you switch to flower and keeping it as compact as possible now will help make for a more manageable plant in the long run.

Haven't grown in years, just wanted to offer my perspective when I saw your fancy new toy Thumbs up
Wiki โ€ข Attitude โ€ข FAQ
The Nexian โ€ข Nexus Research โ€ข The OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
ื’ื ื–ื” ื™ืขื‘ื•ืจ

anne halonium
#5 Posted : 12/9/2015 8:20:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i approve this LED message.....

good stuff.
the day of LED upon you.
there is no turning back.

hit them harder with blue for less spacing.
"loph girl incarnate / lab rabbits included"
kids dont try anything annie does at home ,
for for scientific / educational review only.

adam
#6 Posted : 12/9/2015 9:03:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I second Snozz's message I would try lower the light as far as possible while still maintaining 74-81 F. Also, I reckon that you may want to stake or trellis your plants b/c I believe they will be tipping over once the top buds put some weight on. Trellising correctly and removing all the sites below the trellis will increase surface area and improve light intensity exposure to the flower sites nearest to the light. According to the inverse square law light intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. So two inches away is 4 times weaker then 1 inch away. This makes a big difference in yields.

Not my pics but this gets the point across.

Anyways cool stuff and good luck.

anrchy
#7 Posted : 12/10/2015 12:18:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SnozzleBerry wrote:
Hey man, for whatever it's worth, I think you could drop that light significantly and get more out of both it and your plants. Doing so should eliminate some of the stretch that seems to be taking place and give you tighter spacing between the nodes, reducing popcorn buds. Limiting factor on light spacing is usually the heat factor, but you're using led's, so you should be able to get the light super close and really make use of all the energy it's throwing off without harming your plants.

Sour diesel is a sativa, iirc, so you're likely gonna see a lot of vertical growth when you switch to flower and keeping it as compact as possible now will help make for a more manageable plant in the long run.

Haven't grown in years, just wanted to offer my perspective when I saw your fancy new toy Thumbs up

I've been hesitant on dropping the light much more because I read a bunch of reviews stating to maintain the correct distance to avoid leaf bleaching. Some people said with this light they couldn't get too close as the intensity was too much.

The light came with a pamphlet that included recommended distances for different stages of plant growth and I'm already closer than that. The stretching has been minimal to what I'm used to seeing and it has bushed up more rather than focused on growing vertically since the light change. I did have it for a few weeks under cfls before using this light.

Snozz, I'm def still in learning mode (aren't we always) when it comes to growing bud so I welcome any advice. This light is full spectrum and has a switch for veg and bloom. I have them both on per online advice since I got the light. The other issue with dropping the light more that I see is the footprint of the use able light will diminish. So I have to maintain a balance of light intensity and coverage of said light.

I do want to say the node distance is way smaller now compared to what it was with t5s. This light is so much win.

anne halonium
#8 Posted : 12/10/2015 12:26:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

there is a learning curve with LED.
but once you understand it, it rules as lighting.

crank it up
our cactus experiments show cactus dont mind up to 60W at 10 inches 5400K+
greens would be different , mileage would vary.

i recommend sunglasses power always , 50W foot at 1 foot.

never forget how directional these things are.
get used to moving them or get more in adjustable rack mounts.

IMO, the red is relatively harmless.
anything of the power blue ( less than 500nm) im leery of.
also IMO, blue is everything.
therefore i seriously suggest BLUE BLOCK SAFETY GLASSES.

i demand all wear glasses in my lab when its in " full power" mode.
and keep your face out of high power emitters.
research this one.
experiments on monkey eyes with LED would indicate ya show caution with power!

LED is for the thinking grower.
its , a combo of color, power, angles, and distance game.

Spiralout
#9 Posted : 12/10/2015 6:33:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

thought I replied to this earlier,

they can def be dropped down some; heat is the only thoing to be wary of, ya dont wanna burn your [lants

fans help, leds arent very hot

i wuld go scrog with this and use cfls for sides

anrchy
#10 Posted : 12/10/2015 11:35:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

spractral wrote:
thought I replied to this earlier,

they can def be dropped down some; heat is the only thoing to be wary of, ya dont wanna burn your [lants

fans help, leds arent very hot

i wuld go scrog with this and use cfls for sides

K i dropped the lights down due to every ones advice. We will see how it goes. Thanks for that everyone.

Praxis.
#11 Posted : 12/11/2015 8:17:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'd second what everyone else has suggested about lowering your lights a bit, but you're already on that I see. Heat shouldn't be much of an issue with LEDs either, so you should be fine so long as nothing is super close.

But on a different note it looks like they are healthy and happy regardless! I love me some good diesel varieties, I'm excited to see how things fare for you! Thumbs up
"Consciousness grows in spirals." --George L. Jackson

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...
But first, are you experienced?

Spaced Out 2
#12 Posted : 2/9/2016 11:47:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Just curious as to how your ladies turned out after using the new Leds. Do they affect the potency at all, did the nugs turn out alright?

anrchy
#13 Posted : 2/9/2016 7:33:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Both plants turned out to be males. Brought the light to my buddies house and it's above 2 plants next to a 600 watt hid that is over 2 more.

The plants under the led are doing just as good as the ones under the hid. Don't have any pics at the moment.

anne halonium
#14 Posted : 2/9/2016 7:37:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

my condolences on the male thing.
good job otherwise though.......

cannabis, cactus , cubensis........
annie just loves an LED grow thread!

oversoul1919
#15 Posted : 2/9/2016 7:54:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice! I'm so glad LED works, because it will keep heat sniffing creatures away. You know what I mean.

Spaced Out 2
#16 Posted : 2/9/2016 8:35:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Do LEDs affect potency at all? I'm sure it's only by negligible amounts if any, would like to hear some first hand accounts though. Been looking at getting one, just because it makes more sense to use. Thanks everyone