We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Vipassana meditation enhances REM sleep Options

Bancopuma
#1 Posted : 11/26/2015 2:00:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

...as well as sleep quality as we age. This REM enhancement in essence increases the nightly window with in which one can become lucid, while also increasing dream recall.

A few nights ago, I performed a little breath awareness meditation lying in bed before sleep...this induced what seemed to be a focus 10 state (Monroe Institute reference, described below), and my dream recall that night was the best it has been in a long time, amazing dreams! This has prompted me to make pre sleep meditation a regular thing. It seems like there is some solid science to back up Vipassana style meditation (as well as Zazen which is similar in essence, as discussed in the other thread) for its effect on dream recall and increasing likelihood of lucidity.

http://www.beyond-body.com/focus10.html

A technique is outlined here for anybody interested. I think you could skip part 1 of this and still get good results, worth experimenting with...if you fall asleep too quickly, listening to some binaural or isochronic tones can help.

http://www.c4chaos.com/2...nduced-lucid-dream-vild/

Sulekha, S., Thennarasu, K., Vedamurthachar, A., Raju, R.R. & Kutty, B.M. (2006) Evaluation of sleep architecture in practitioners of Sudarshan Kriya yoga and Vipassana meditation. Sleep and Biological Rhythms, 4, 207-214

Paper is attached for anybody interested.

Abstract

Yoga is an ancient Indian science and way of life that has been described in the traditional texts as a systematic method of achieving the highest possible functional harmony between body and mind. Yogic practices are claimed to enhance the quality of sleep. Electrophysiological correlates associated with the higher states of consciousness have been reported in long-term practitioners of transcendental meditation during deep sleep states. The present study was carried out to assess sleep architecture in Sudarshan Kriya Yoga (SKY) and Vipassana meditators. This was to ascertain the differences, if any, in sleep architecture following yogic practices. Whole night polysomnographic recordings were carried out in 78 healthy male subjects belonging to control and yoga groups. The groups studied were aged between 20 and 30-years-old (younger) and 31 to 55-years-old (middle-aged). The sleep architecture was comparable among the younger control and yoga groups. While slow wave sleep (non-REM (rapid eye movement) S3 and S4) had reduced to 3.7 percent in the middle- aged control group, participants of the middle-aged yoga groups (both SKY and Vipassana) showed no such decline in slow wave sleep states, which was experienced by 11.76 and 12.76 percent, respectively, of the SKY and Vipassana groups. However, Vipassana practitioners showed a significant enhancement (P<0.001) in their REM sleep state from that of the age-matched control subjects and also from their SKY counterparts. Yoga practices help to retain slow wave sleep and enhance the REM sleep state in the middle age; they appear to retain a younger biological age as far as sleep is concerned. Overall, the study demonstrates the possible beneficial role of yoga in sleep–wakefulness behavior.

Discussion

Vipassana meditators showed a pronounced enhancement in their REM sleep state, while the SKY group did not show such an enhanced REM sleep state. However, both Vipassana and SKY practitioners exhibited a relatively shorter interval to the occurrence of their first REM sleep episode, that is, they had a very short REM onset latency. The REM density (measure of frequency of REMs) is an index of sleep satiety or sleep need and increased REM density accompanies prolonged periods of sleep. Extended sleep periods and a systematic reduction in the duration of prior wakefulness leads to increased REM, and sleep deprivation reduces the REM density. The enhanced REM duration observed in the Vipassana practitioners could be an index of heightened orientation and inner alertness associated with enhanced brain activity during REM. Mason et al. have also reported such enhanced REM sleep states in long-term practitioners of transcendental meditation. Growing evidence suggests that the circadian rhythm of melatonin contributes to the endogenous circadian rhythm of sleep propensity in humans and the practice of meditation in general has shown to enhance melatonin secretion.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Strigiform
#2 Posted : 11/29/2015 3:08:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

There seems to be a great variety of ways one can meditate, and I'm not familiar with what distinguishes one variety from another. Personally, I like Bodhidharma meditation (where you stare at a blank wall in addition to focusing on breathing and keeping posture, usually while trying to think about nothing). From reading about Vipissana on Wikipedia, it was defined as:

Majjhima Nikaya, Sutta No. 118, Section No. 2, translated from the Pali wrote:
The Satipatthana Sutta describes it as going into the forest and sitting beneath a tree and then to simply watch the breath. If the breath is long, to notice that the breath is long, if the breath is short, to notice that the breath is short.

It seems to me there's a lot of distinction without difference between these different techniques for meditation. So I wonder if it really matters what particular meditation discipline is being used. What do you think?

Anyway, it makes sense that your dreams are reflective of past experiences, especially recent ones. Meditation puts a person in an interesting place as far as the brain is concerned. I have read papers describing changes to the structure of the brain from long-term meditation. Even in the short-term, it can be [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24395196]quite good for relieving anxiety, depression and pain[/url]. For the second article, please note:

Meditation programs for psychological stress and well-being: a systematic review and meta-analysis. wrote:
We found low evidence of no effect or insufficient evidence of any effect of meditation programs on positive mood, attention, substance use, eating habits, sleep, and weight. We found no evidence that meditation programs were better than any active treatment (ie, drugs, exercise, and other behavioral therapies),

Personally, I think that meditation can be great for a lot of people who suffer from certain disorders that are largely due to a a stressful environment and maybe even keeping a latent mental illness at bay. I'm not really qualified to say, though.

It can help people manage the priorities in their life, and so doing that sort of activity into sleep seems like a great idea in that it will relax you before bed, putting your mind into a state that is similar to sleep. It's very neat to read about a 16% increase in REM sleep from just meditating! However, these encouraging results could be due to the small sample size. That said, this is really neat, and thank you for sharing. I think I'd like to read more about the methods.

woogyboogy
#3 Posted : 12/4/2015 4:35:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Vipassana for sure is a technique which is worth to be studied more, also because the technique is so simple besides shifting awareness theres not much to do(compared to ie visualization techniques)

How ever I have performed a 10 day Vipassana retreat, where they told us its possible that we wont sleep at night, because we dont need to in that state of mind.
I know some people there did experience inability to sleep at all. My self on the contrary had at first difficulties falling asleep because after 10 hour of meditation a day, its kind of hard to not constantly scan your body and all the sensations, which can keep you awake. But in the end I always fell into a very deep sleep, with very vivid dreams.

All in all I have to say though I see it as a kind of two edged sword.
While it can get you incredibly deep/high, it can also cause some form of dissociation, which I experienced for about a week, after the retreat had ended and also heard from other persons happening to them. The constant observing, dissociates you from what your feelings(alas in my experience)
Ofcourse this applies mostly to very intense practice, and not to a few exercises before going to bed..

Ufostrahlen
#4 Posted : 12/4/2015 6:55:35 PM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

Btw, the Mindfulness-based stress reduction therapy program by Jon Kabat-Zinn is derived from Vipassana.

Quote:
Mindfulness practices were inspired mainly by teachings from the Eastern World, particularly from Buddhist traditions. One of MBSR's techniques - the "body scan" - was derived from a meditation practice ("sweeping") of the Burmese U Ba Khin tradition, as taught by S. N. Goenka in his Vipassana retreats, which he began in 1976. It has since been widely adapted in secular settings, independent of religious or cultural contexts.[note 9][note 10]

https://en.wikipedia.org...#Jon_Kabat-Zinn_and_MBSR

Just sayin, for the people who have difficulties with the confusing buddhist terminology (like me).

Also relevant in that context:

Quote:
Mindfulness and dream quality: The inverse relationship between mindfulness and negative dream affect

The aim of the study was to examine the relationship of mindfulness to the emotional quality of dreaming. In our questionnaire-based study, comprising the data of 587 undergraduate students we examined the association between trait anxiety, perceived stress, trait mindfulness, negative dream affect and dream anxiety. Our results indicate that mindfulness is inversely related to disturbed dreaming and predicts less severe dream disturbances after controlling for trait anxiety. Moreover, the results of the applied hierarchical regression analysis suggest that mindfulness is associated with reduced dream anxiety by moderating the extent of waking anxiety. Our findings extend previous research relating mindfulness, emotional regulation and sleep quality to the domain of dream research. We suggest that mindfulness is a possible protective factor against dream disturbances.

http://onlinelibrary.wil...j.1467-9450.2011.00888.x

It may be possible that I already posted the study, so I apologize for possible redundancy.

Quote:
It seems to me there's a lot of distinction without difference between these different techniques for meditation. So I wonder if it really matters what particular meditation discipline is being used. What do you think?

What I gathered from the more experianced LD & OOBE guys: Jürgen Ziewe (plain sitting and breathing I think) & Tom Campbell (started with Transcendental Meditation, later co-invented the binaural beat method) & the mindfulness/LD study (Stumbrys, T. et al. in Cognition and Personality, 34(4), 415-433): it doesn't matter.

It seems not to be about a special technique, but meditation (quieting the mind) itself. How you perfom it (zazen, full lotus, half lotus, breathing, plain sitting, mantra-based, binaural beats etc.) is up to your preferences. But I guess it doesn't hurt to experiment.
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

Bancopuma
#5 Posted : 12/4/2015 7:27:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
It seems not to be about a special technique, but meditation (quieting the mind) itself. How you perform it (zazen, full lotus, half lotus, breathing, plain sitting, mantra-based, binaural beats etc.) is up to your preferences. But I guess it doesn't hurt to experiment.

Yeah I agree completely. This is very much the view of Tom Campbell, and Jurgen Ziewe told me this personally, and it is definitely echoed by other experienced OBE people. But still, some peeps may find certain meditation methods come more natural to them than others, so maybe good to experiment. I also encounter a lot more OBE and lucid dreaming reports associated with breath awareness meditation methods like vipassana and zazen than I do with mantra meditations such as Transcendental Meditation, and it's nice to have studies like those above to back up these specific practices. I've been making lying down meditation prior to sleep (focusing on breath as it enters and exits nose, as well as bodily sensations) along with binaural and isochronic beats, and I intend to make this a nightly ritual now.

Ufostrahlen
#6 Posted : 12/4/2015 8:00:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah I agree completely. This is very much the view of Tom Campbell, and Jurgen Ziewe told me this personally, and it is definitely echoed by other experienced OBE people. But still, some peeps may find certain meditation methods come more natural to them than others, so maybe good to experiment. I also encounter a lot more OBE and lucid dreaming reports associated with breath awareness meditation methods like vipassana and zazen than I do with mantra meditations such as Transcendental Meditation, and it's nice to have studies like those above to back up these specific practices. I've been making lying down meditation prior to sleep (focusing on breath as it enters and exits nose, as well as bodily sensations) along with binaural and isochronic beats, and I intend to make this a nightly ritual now.

Hey, good luck. And I forgot to say: good links as always. Keep it going!

As for the meditation techniques: In my case nothing really works, so I keep experimenting and an open mind. I currently listen to some Focus 21 Gateway tracks, but since I'm kinda addicted to energy drinks (or my left brain?), I feel like I listen to some Scientology light tracks for the simple minds .. haha Twisted Evil Glad I've pirated them, but if they really work, I surely pay up. Thumbs up It seems like can't switch off the "getting there" mode. But on the other hand, the old meditation traditions speak of 10-30 years practice with barely touching the master status. Maybe I'm lucky in the coming years. Big grin
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

Bancopuma
#7 Posted : 12/6/2015 11:09:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm sticking with the meditation as I do feel I'm getting benefits from it lucid dreams and OBE practice aside...I'm sleeping well and my dreams are more vivid, there is more calmness in my day to say life, it seems easier to articulate my thoughts and I notice details that I would perhaps otherwise miss usually. This last change caught my interest as frequent lucid dreamers seem to be also score higher on this trait than non lucid dreamers. Still early days for me but I'm going to keep it up, but yeah it seems like many fruits are yielded by consistent long term practice.

The energy drinks may not be an ally...one OBE author/teacher recommends avoiding caffeine anytime approaching practice. I've found so far that this OBE stuff is not something one can force to happen in any sense...it's all about getting into the right state, and then it will happen of it's own accord. So important one both be motivated and interested, and yet kind of detached and observant and really not caring of the outcome of practice at the same time. One of my more profound experiences recently came after getting into a relaxed space with binaural beats and doing some deep breathing to get relaxed...after half an hour I thought "F**k it, I'm going back to sleep"...it was right after I did this that I launched into a powerful OBE, but unfortunately the take off symptoms were so powerful I kinda fumbled it before I really got anywhere...I guess I just need more practice. But I'm nothing special, and I think if I can do this with my fairly inconsistent regimen, anyone can do this.

I recommend this guide...the guy here stresses the importance of mindfulness, but his technique...the "F**k it technique" is precisely what I used with success prior to reading this, so I can personally vouch for this at least.

https://makermistaker.com/obe/

I've also attached some notes from the late Frank Kepple...Frank was a very experienced OBE'r...his background was in electronic engineering, and he considered himself an atheist (at least in a religious sense) and he takes a very rational, grounded and pragmatic view to projection. He read Bob Monroe's books and was intrigued, and thought Bob was either crazy or onto something. So he practiced and started having his own experiences that changed his life. He also gives some good advice on how to use the Gateway tracks. There is a lot of info here but it is definitely worth skimming over in your own time.

zhoro
#8 Posted : 12/6/2015 11:27:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

For what it's worth, I practiced with the ARVARI tapes some 13-14 years ago. They are beautiful and effective.

But I'm curious, what are you really after pursuing OBE?

In any case, what that is will likely change with experience.
Here it is - right now. Start thinking about it and you miss it. ~ Huang-po

Ufostrahlen
#9 Posted : 12/8/2015 8:16:48 PM

zhoro wrote:
But I'm curious, what are you really after pursuing OBE?

I guess higher knowledge and a bigger picture on life in general. Improving my life condition and the one of others. I mean running a simulation of life at night sounds cool. And manifesting teachers that are not from this world sounds cools as well.

Bancopuma
#10 Posted : 12/8/2015 8:26:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^^Yeah, pretty much what that guy said! Thumbs up

I think we're all in agreement here that psychedelics make great tools for consciousness exploration, but I think lucid dreaming, OBE's, meditation and other practices all have their merits. OBE's in particular are a fascination to me as they seem to often change the lives of people who experience them in a number of profound and positive ways, and in a fairly consistent fashion. Some people even consider them the most amazing experiences of their lives. It seems there is a capacity for exploration, for growth and for learning that can come from these experiences that is quite distinct and not maybe as accessible when using psychedelics alone, and I want to explore this for myself. I think he ability to induce such experiences without the use of a chemical crutch would be empowering. I've experienced enough already to know there is definitely something to all this worth pursuing, whatever "this" is.

inaniel
#11 Posted : 12/8/2015 8:56:52 PM

mas alla del mar

bancopuma and ufostrahlen, what do you guys think is the best literature on OBE's and lucid dreaming?

Ufostrahlen
#12 Posted : 12/8/2015 9:21:48 PM

inaniel wrote:
bancopuma and ufostrahlen, what do you guys think is the best literature on OBE's and lucid dreaming?

YT is the book of the future. The guys below have all written books, which are more detailed versions of their talks. Before buying them, I'd suggest listening to their thoughts for free beforehand. I can't give a clear recommendation, because I couldn't validate their experiences for myself. But they are interesting characters imo and bring a different approach to the mix.

Best science talk on LD is imo:

Classic talk on OBEs:

Newer player in the field, interesting as well:

Bancopuma
#13 Posted : 12/8/2015 10:39:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey inaniel,

This is worth a look, OBE author Rob Peterson's top 10 recommended OBE books, he has written his own but has read many of them. I think my personal favourite of those I've read is Fred Aardema's Explorations in Consciousness, Fred has a PhD in clinical psychology and takes a very grounded, rational and pragmatic approach to OBE's and their induction, dispensing with anything remotely New Age and providing you with all the meat and no filler. Bob Monroe's and William Buhlman's books make for some really interesting reading, and Multidimensional Man by Jurgen Ziewe makes for some really fascinating reading with regard to where these experiences can take you.

http://obeoutlook.blogsp...s-top-ten-obe-books.html

For lucid dreaming, I'd recommend these two in particular, Charlie Morley's book is great with regard to having a clear practical focus, and would be good for people new to lucid dreaming.

http://www.amazon.com/Lu...;keywords=charlie+morley

Robert Waggoner's book would be great for anyone at any stage of their lucid dreaming practice, a really comprehensive work, this guy really knows his stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Lu...RID=17ER308J9D763CQ17A26

zhoro
#14 Posted : 12/9/2015 3:48:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Bancopuma wrote:
^^Yeah, pretty much what that guy said! Thumbs up

I think we're all in agreement here that psychedelics make great tools for consciousness exploration, but I think lucid dreaming, OBE's, meditation and other practices all have their merits. OBE's in particular are a fascination to me as they seem to often change the lives of people who experience them in a number of profound and positive ways, and in a fairly consistent fashion. Some people even consider them the most amazing experiences of their lives. It seems there is a capacity for exploration, for growth and for learning that can come from these experiences that is quite distinct and not maybe as accessible when using psychedelics alone, and I want to explore this for myself. I think he ability to induce such experiences without the use of a chemical crutch would be empowering. I've experienced enough already to know there is definitely something to all this worth pursuing, whatever "this" is.

Best of luck in your endeavors, friends. May they be fruitful.
Here it is - right now. Start thinking about it and you miss it. ~ Huang-po

RAM
#15 Posted : 12/12/2015 8:31:03 PM

Hail the keys!

I have been meditating for 5-30 minutes before bed (depending on how tired I am) for almost a year now. My meditation starts with reviewing events of the day and my life and then moving into a state of clearing my mind of all thoughts. I enjoy doing it with a Mindfold and giant headphones that block out all sound. After my Kundalini yoga training I have tried to focus on activating Kundalini energy during this period, but I've found that too extreme of activations can be antithetical to getting to sleep afterward.

Doing this before bed is a very good idea in my opinion as it is a guaranteed part of any day; you may not always have 20 consecutive minutes during any one part of a day, but you should usually have them before you go to sleep at night, even if they cut into your total sleep time.

I have a kept a dream journal for over 4 years, and with my meditation regimen I've had an average of one memorable dream per night. While this is totally anecdotal, I feel that treating sleep as more sacred by prefacing it with meditation encourages more vivid and meaningful dreams. Also meditating for long stretches has improved my general meditation skills, so I can meditate easily in short bursts during the day.
"Think for yourself and question authority." - Leary

"To step out of ideology - it hurts. It's a painful experience. You must force yourself to do it." - Žižek

Ufostrahlen
#16 Posted : 12/14/2015 2:19:08 PM

inaniel wrote:

Here's another interesting video that got released yesterday. Tom Campbell (TC) is normally more interested in presenting his Theory of Everything (TOE), but since it deals with OBEs as well, he makes exceptions and focuses on OBEs from his TOE perspective. TC is in the field for 44 years now, he's worth the time listening.

http://obefrance.com/ seems to be a cool place to study OBEs, however, it's too costly for my budget. But they have interesting speakers nevertheless. Jürgen Ziewe speaks in 2016.

Bancopuma
#17 Posted : 1/15/2016 8:31:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Relevant paper attached that may be of interest.

Stumbrys, T., Erlacher, D. & Malinowski, P. (2015) Meta-Awareness During Day and Night: The Relationship Between Mindfulness and Lucid Dreaming. Imagination, Cognition and Personality: Consciousness in Theory, Research, and Clinical Practice, 34, (4) 415–433.