We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
No Epsom-Manske Options

Auxin
#1 Posted : 10/26/2015 1:57:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A search of the site did not reveal anyone having attempted to obtain harmine / harmaline sulfate crystals by a modified manske crystallization procedure. Here I report that performing a manske using epsom salts (magnesium sulfate heptahydrate) in place of salt does not work.

Freebase P. harmala ß-carbolines were prepared and dissolved in a slight excess of vinegar. This was diluted to obtain 50 ml of a 2% solution of alkaloid acetates. The solution was heated and 5 grams of epsom salts were dissolved in. The solution was cooled to 5°C and no crystals formed. The solution was again heated and another 5 gram quantity of epsom salts dissolved in. Being cooled again to 5°C still no crystals formed.

Oh well, it was worth a shot Wink

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Nitegazer
#2 Posted : 10/26/2015 12:05:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Auxin

So glad you posted the results. Are there any other salts you would consider experimenting with?

Auxin
#3 Posted : 10/26/2015 4:49:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've been toying with other ideas. I have quite a few options in my lab space but I'd prefer to keep it to common (and cheap) materials. Hence this trial.
The sulfates would have been groovie since they form square crystals rather than needle crystals, easier to clean.

I think one future direction with harmala salts will be to find ones that easily make sizable crystals for manual separation.
Harmine, harmaline, and tetrahydroharmine salts would form pure, independent crystals out of a mixed solution. If the crystal forms were distinctly different one could just pick the THH crystals out of a mixed batch with harmaline, for instance. I got that idea from the original manske harmine/harmaline separation procedure which exploits not only their pKa but also the crystalline shapes of the freebases ('The Alkaloids: Chemistry and Physiology, Volume 2' pg. 393) as well as from Lois Pasteur who once separated tartaric acid isomers by hand based on the optical rotation of each crystal Laughing

Nitegazer
#4 Posted : 10/26/2015 8:40:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Fascinating stuff-- and useful for someone like me, who is not so great at separating harmaline from harmine....

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 10/30/2015 11:37:07 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

The Epsom salts 'Manske' won't work as the NaCl Manske relies on the low solubility of the harmala HCl. No chloride, no precipitate. Using MgCl2 might work. The higher solubility of magnesium chloride will provide more chloride ions to drive a possible precipitation but the magnesium ions might also combine with the harmala alkaloids through their greater Lewis acidity, thus disrupting the process. Only an experiment will tell.

Magnesium chloride is a by-product of producing sodium sulfate using magnesium sulfate and sodium chloride. Sodium sulfate crystallises out and magnesium chloride remains in solution.

Quote:
Louis Pasteur who once separated tartaric acid isomers by hand based on the optical rotation of each crystal Laughing

Not (initially) the optical rotation but the physical appearance. He examined each crystal using a magnifying glass and separated the crystals into the two mirror image forms using tweezers. Growing big crystals obviously will have made his work rather easier.

It's fortunate that tartaric acid crystallises in such a way that the chirality of the molecule is in a sense observable on a macro level. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Pasteur#Molecular_asymmetry

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Auxin
#6 Posted : 10/31/2015 2:25:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
The Epsom salts 'Manske' won't work as the NaCl Manske relies on the low solubility of the harmala HCl.
Well you cant quite blame me for trying tho. Razz
To the best of my knowledge there is no collection of known harmala salts solubilities available so the sulfate salt solubility was an unknown.
If I'm wrong and there is a collection of established salt properties somewhere please let me know before I start fiddling around in redundancy making harmine glutamates, tartates, citrates, salicylates, etc. (I wouldnt make those for modified manskes, of course, but their crystalline forms and solubilities would be interesting to know for other applications, or the all important 'shits and giggles', naturally).