We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
DMT-Induced Psychosis, Case Report Options

Nathanial.Dread
#1 Posted : 10/5/2015 7:10:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Someone sent me this, and it seemed interesting. Published in August of 2015, this may be a sign of increasing awareness, and scrutiny, of what we do here on The Nexus.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26166234

"Abstract
BACKGROUND:

N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT) is a 5-hydroxytryptamine 2A and 1A receptor agonist that exhibits potent psychoactive properties in humans. Recreational use of this drug has increased precipitously and is likely to result in an increase in patients presenting with substance-induced psychoses. The present case provides an early example of substance-induced psychosis attributable to repeated use of DMT.
CASE:

A 42-year-old white man, with no significant past psychiatric history, was brought to the emergency department by the police and was found to exhibit disinhibited behavior, elevated affect, disorganized thought process, and delusions of reference. Laboratory studies revealed elevated creatinine kinase level indicative of rhabdomyolysis. The patient endorsed recent and repeated use of DMT, as well as long-term Cannabis (marijuana) use. Over the course of the next 3 weeks, the patient was successfully treated with quetiapine for psychosis, divalproex sodium (Depakote) for impulsivity, gabapentin for anxiety, and hydroxyzine for sleep, which resulted in the resolution of his symptoms and development of reasonable insight and judgment. Approximately 6 months after discharge, the patient remained treatment compliant, as well as drug and symptom free.
CONCLUSIONS:

This case report illustrates an important example of substance-induced psychosis that resolved with antipsychotic treatment in a 42-year-old white man with no past psychiatric history likely attributable to the use of DMT. Given the increasing use of this substance, the emergency department, primary care, and inpatient services are likely to see a significant increase in similar cases."

EDIT: Two posts below this one, I posted the full text.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

corpus callosum
#2 Posted : 10/5/2015 8:06:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Thanks for sharing this ND.

I would love to see the full paper in order to get more information on the exact mode of 'repeated' use of DMT and I also note that long-term cannabis use is mentioned.

I do not doubt that DMT has the ability to precipitate a psychosis but one must consider the possibility that the combination of cannabis use (which is likely to have varying concentrations of psychoactives from one batch to the next) with DMT may have been the straw which broke the camels mind in the case cited.

With this all said, DMT is not and never will be a compound without a degree of inherent risk associated with it.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

Nathanial.Dread
#3 Posted : 10/5/2015 8:31:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

corpus callosum wrote:
Thanks for sharing this ND.

I would love to see the full paper in order to get more information on the exact mode of 'repeated' use of DMT and I also note that long-term cannabis use is mentioned.

I do not doubt that DMT has the ability to precipitate a psychosis but one must consider the possibility that the combination of cannabis use (which is likely to have varying concentrations of psychoactives from one batch to the next) with DMT may have been the straw which broke the camels mind in the case cited.

With this all said, DMT is not and never will be a compound without a degree of inherent risk associated with it.

Your wish is my command, Corpus Pleased

Blessings
~ND

Spaced Out 2
#4 Posted : 10/5/2015 8:56:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I agree Corpus Callosum, the need for more detailed information is needed.

Even everyday things have some degree of inherent risks, eat- risk of choking, walk- risk of falling down. I understand they are talking about compounds and not everyday tasks, but it seems they were quick to push it off towards DMT though not giving details as to his frequency of use and possible past use of other substances that might have contributed.

They also said no history of psychosis, well that's if they have a history as recorded by the medical community. It may be that this was slowly persisting through this man's life and never recognized it or had it treated thus no history of it. I guess it's just the should've, would've, could've speculation due to the lack of more facts or information regarding this particular case. I agree though, the whole case needs published instead of a stripped down version that's pointing the finger, leading others to think in a negative fashion. Anyways just my two cents.

No worries now due to the cocktail of meds...he's been reinserted back into the matrix Twisted Evil

Praxis.
#5 Posted : 10/5/2015 9:25:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
He estimated that he had smoked DMT a maximum of 10 times, reporting that he had impulsively purchased the DMT in the street near his home. At the time of hospitalization,Mr K. had a number of psychosocial stressors including recent unemployment, eviction from his apartment, and the death of his mother.

The patient was brought by local police to the emergency department for psychiatric evaluation. On initial interview, the patient appeared agitated and underweight; he behaved bizarrely and exhibited a marked disorientation to time.

He only used DMT 10 times, and he obtained it from some random person on his street. That's certainly a cause for concern right there. I wonder what his dosage was and if that could have played a role at all?

I think it's also worth noting that he had several psychological stressors at the time, was underweight, and had a history of substance abuse, bipolar disorder, and violent behavior.

As far as cannabis maybe being involved:

Quote:
In the present case, the patient was smoking DMT in combination with Cannabis. Cannabis-induced psychosis is recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5),16 where it is characterized as typically involving persecutory delusions, elevated anxiety, emotional lability, and depersonalization and as short lived—lasting several days at the most...

In the present case, urine toxicology was negative for cannabinoids, ruling out recent use. In addition, although there was a time lag of 3 days from admission until urine toxicology was performed, the absence of cannabinoids in the urine suggests that the patient was likely using far less Cannabis than he reported or had stopped a considerable time before presentation, given that cannabinoids persist in the urine for prolonged durations after use.Coupled with the prolonged course of the described psychosis, it seems unlikely that concomitant use of Cannabis contributed significantly to the substance induced psychosis reported here.

This is definitely scary to think about, I personally think it has something to do with the shady source--but nonetheless like Corpus said DMT will always have inherent risk associated with it.

Thanks for sharing ND.
"Consciousness grows in spirals." --George L. Jackson

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...
But first, are you experienced?

Spaced Out 2
#6 Posted : 10/5/2015 9:39:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Praxis, where did you find this extra information?

Now it starts to make more sense, I'm curious as to why all of that was left out which are major factors in the way he may have been acting.

Anyway thanks Praxis for the extra tidbits.
And thanks ND for the original link.

Nathanial.Dread
#7 Posted : 10/5/2015 10:29:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Spaced Out 2 wrote:
Praxis, where did you find this extra information?

Now it starts to make more sense, I'm curious as to why all of that was left out which are major factors in the way he may have been acting.

Anyway thanks Praxis for the extra tidbits.
And thanks ND for the original link.

Check my second post, in response to corpus Wink

Blessings
~ND

Spaced Out 2
#8 Posted : 10/5/2015 10:49:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks ND, just totally overlooked it Embarrased Confused

DisEmboDied
#9 Posted : 10/6/2015 1:37:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

"...had a history of substance abuse, bipolar disorder, and violent behavior."

Well, a dude like this who would say, do 10 high doses in a few weeks time, I can see that as a possibility...

Meditate before you venture, take it seriously, use it as medicinal—it is good psychotherapy if needed. Realize that you, the Earth, others, and the Universe are all one and the same process. Then take that knowledge back to become, as you already are, one with nature. Eternity in every moment. Divinity in every particle. All is one organism.

sleepermustawaken
#10 Posted : 10/6/2015 4:25:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I am surprised to hear so many of you saying that there is always a risk with DMT. Comparing the liklihood of psychosis from DMT or from Marijuana it is definately MJ that sends most in to paranoid delusions because of the dopamine pathways, same as meth and even scizophrenics they are labelling the root cause as irratic dopamine pathways. My understanding is that DMT is relatively well tolerated by most individuals as it is primarily works via serotonergic activity and if it is inclined to any style of psychosis it would be that of depersonalization/derealization which is very different to the man's symptoms in the hospital.

Either way, this doesn't help our case. He didn't even need to mention DMT, only that his symptoms existed and then he would have been treated in the same way, which is to shuv a whole load of anti-psychotics and benzos down his throat to suppress extatic, aberrational and for this individual 'unwanted' neural actvitity that may have cleared up on their own in a nights sleep or a week. Why would anyone blatantly admit to being a criminal when it is not necessary to do so? He could have just gone to the doctor and got prescribed some anti-psychotics and this paper would never have existed.

Metanoia
#11 Posted : 10/6/2015 7:23:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I feel the risks of episodes of psychosis are fairly low with the majority of people. It's easy to point the finger at something like a psychedelic as the cause of this but it takes far more courage to broaden your view and look at what may have been an underlying condition which was simply triggered by the substance in question.

I understand your point of view sleepermustawaken but I'm sure he was honest because he was very afraid (or not completely coherent) and had them breathing down his neck asking him what illicit substances he has consumed recently. If you're afraid you're going to die or become very ill physically or mentally you tend to just want someone to help you and if telling them what it is you were smoking, and that helps them help you, it's a simple choice. He may have handled it differently, more discreetly, but having experienced some drug-induced psychosis myself it can be incredibly terrifying.

spinCycle
#12 Posted : 10/6/2015 8:31:26 PM

Life is Art is Life

One culture's psychosis is another's spiritual crisis. One is seen as sickness and another as an opportunity for growth and transcendence.
Images of broken light,
Which dance before me like a million eyes,
They call me on and on...

Jees
#13 Posted : 10/6/2015 11:44:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Half baked eggs should stay clear of pepper.
So easy to blame the pepper.

Felnik
#14 Posted : 10/7/2015 2:04:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

spinCycle wrote:
One culture's psychosis is another's spiritual crisis. One is seen as sickness and another as an opportunity for growth and transcendence.

This
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

nexalizer
#15 Posted : 10/7/2015 7:51:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

spinCycle wrote:

Smile
This is the time to really find out who you are and enjoy every moment you have. Take advantage of it.

endlessness
#16 Posted : 10/7/2015 10:43:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DMT effects are very powerful. It's only logical that some people, specially with pre-existing conditions, won't be able to handle it. In terms of statistics, what are the numbers of people using psychedelics like dmt and having serious lasting conditions? It seems very very low, all published data seems to indicate that. Specially doing a pre-screening (either by professionals or simply experienced trippers) and taking care of set and setting. Does anything in life have 0 risk?

How many people go psychotic after a relationship ending? It's pretty much the same in that sense, a strong experience that some people aren't able to handle.

The problem with these publications is if the authors are biased and make big leaps in their conclusions, and if this somehow sways public opinion even more against these substances in an unreasonable way. That being said, I haven't read this full paper so I don't know if that is the case (edit: just saw it was posted further above, gonna read it now). Also, it's important that we do get to hear of the cases where things went wrong, we can't ignore that, it's good to look at and learn from it if we can to avoid in the future.

joedirt
#17 Posted : 10/8/2015 12:07:51 AM

Not I

Quote:
Over the course of the next 3 weeks, the patient was successfully treated with quetiapine for psychosis, divalproex sodium (Depakote) for impulsivity, gabapentin for anxiety, and hydroxyzine for sleep, which resulted in the resolution of his symptoms and development of reasonable insight and judgment.

I'm guessing if they had just kept him sober for 3 weeks he would have felt better.... Rolling eyes

If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

drfaust
#18 Posted : 10/11/2015 8:45:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:

(a) the presence of delusions and hallucinations (only one
of these is required); (b) the emergence of the symptoms during
or soon after DMT intoxication and the ability of DMT use to induce
such symptoms; (c) the timeline of symptom onset (during or
soon after intoxication) and resolution (approximately 2 weeks)
combined with the lack of personal history; (d) the absence of
delirium; and, finally, (e) clinically significant distress and functional
impairment.

The basic DSM diagnostic criteria are interesting, which he, according to the report, satisfied.

In this case we only have delusions, so the psychosis is not full bore "seeing and hearing" things.

Key for me is also the Rhabdomyolysis.

There are case histories of Rhabdomyolysis due to Mania, which is another word for what this guy had.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih....pmc/articles/PMC3039417/

Rhabd can be pretty serious, and can lead to renal failure. So, overall, not bad that he was treated.

Another interesting note is the fact that DMT cannot be urine screened, and can only be "reported" by the patient. Hmmm. How do the doctors deal with that.

So, overall, we have a delusional, manic episode in a troubled man. He has been diagnosed with OCD I see, which implicitly has a risk of mania.

Was the mania caused by DMT? Well the risk factor has to already be there. The personality with latent psychosis and delusional defenses has to already be there. The lack of care has already been there.

I feel for the guy and for the doctors who are probably not well trained when it comes to diagnosing personality disorder. They are more likely trained in some basic pharmacological psychiatry. Hence they search in the streetlight of "DMT" for the cause.

Maybe we could say that whatever it was that he smoked and the manic episode he went into led him to the distraught state he was in. I'm suspicious about the report that he bought it in the street, however. That does not make sense. There is no street DMT, is there?

He could have made it all up for all we know. A problem for the doctors if they cannot urine screen for a chemical. How do they know he smoked anything at all? He is delusional.

HumbleTraveler
#19 Posted : 10/12/2015 2:34:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

"the patient remained treatment compliant, as well as drug and symptom free...."

Ah yes, except for his quetiapine for psychosis, divalproex sodium (Depakote) for impulsivity, gabapentin for anxiety, and hydroxyzine for sleep! Go pharma, go!
"A troop of elves smashes down your front door and rotates and balances the wheels on the after death vehicle, present you with the bill and then depart. And it's completely paradigm shattering. I mean, ya know, union with the white light you could handle. An invasion of your apartment by jeweled self dribbling basketballs from hyperspace that are speaking in demonic Greek is NOT something that you anticipated and could handle!' -T.M.

The posts and stories by this member are simply for fictional entertainment purposes only and do not reflect any 'real life' occurrences.
Smile

null24
#20 Posted : 10/12/2015 6:48:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

HumbleTraveler wrote:
"the patient remained treatment compliant, as well as drug and symptom free...."

Ah yes, except for his quetiapine for psychosis, divalproex sodium (Depakote) for impulsivity, gabapentin for anxiety, and hydroxyzine for sleep! Go pharma, go!

Yup, we have a cure for psychedelic metanoia right here, it'll knock that ennui right outta ya!
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

12NEXT