We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Football player sentenced to 75 months for beating a man to death while high on mushrooms. Options

null24
#1 Posted : 9/30/2015 3:17:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

He got a lesser sentence because he blamed the mushrooms. This is sad.
Football-player-admits-beating-man-66-to-death-high-on-shrooms

EDIT: Oh my god, I just realized this was closer to home than I thought. I havent seen the news in awhile.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Godzy
#2 Posted : 9/30/2015 3:55:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

seems to me like he just put the blame on the shrooms to get off easy... 75 months for beating a man to death??? i hate it when uneducated people take psychedelics...

shrooms makes me love everything around me, I wouldn't hurt a bug

Jakup
#3 Posted : 9/30/2015 4:08:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Oh isn't that just wonderful?

Just what the world needs, more reason demonize psychedelics. I don't even understand how someone could be violent on mushrooms. Who knows what else he was on or what really happened. Stuff like this really makes me cringe.
Always

darklordsson
#4 Posted : 9/30/2015 7:06:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Guy was clearly out of his gourd! I get it.. Then blames shrooms... THEN I don't get it. WTF was he doing out and about?? Why didnt he just "Stay home?" Clearly not educated enough to understand the strong effects some substances have, and on top of that.. WTF?? Then works the system... Still don't get it, I say fine him for all he's worth and throw him in jail for just his acts! Not what he ingested..

DoingKermit
#5 Posted : 9/30/2015 10:51:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

He must be quite a disturbed human being to do something like that in the first place. Not a good look for our beloved ally.

pitubo
#6 Posted : 9/30/2015 11:26:08 AM

dysfunctional word machine

Maybe the "magic mushrooms" were fly agarics, in some places of the world also known as "berserk mushrooms"?

null24
#7 Posted : 9/30/2015 3:16:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

pitubo wrote:
Maybe the "magic mushrooms" were fly agarics, in some places of the world also known as "berserk mushrooms"?

Or maybe he is just a football playing frat boy. I've experienced fear, sadness, ennui, angst terror and all kinds of other negative emotional states on psychedelics but... never once have i experienced anger. I simply cannot imagine going into a rage high.

I've gone into rages before as a result of taking psychotropics like SSRIs that scared the hell out of me, where if i were maybe a little more unbalanced or inebriated could have led to someone getting hurt. Playing devil's advocate, i wonder if there are some people who the serotonergic effects of psychedelics could affect this way. It was denied for years that SSRIs could do that.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

TimeGearingBlocks
#8 Posted : 9/30/2015 4:30:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yep, psychedelics are not party drugs. This irks me that people use it that way. Right: all we need is publicity demonizing the drug because someone used it irresponsibly. But hey, that is also a lesson for the world. People aren't ready for it just yet. How would you be able to regulate this drug from people who would abuse it. I understand why there is such a strong need to contain this drug. People act stupid with it by not doing any research as to what they are getting into. But the more research we do here at the nexus, the more we can understand the drug and be able to teach other people how to use it wisely. All in due time Good People.
It all exists, because it does.

"Many are the names of God and infinite are the forms through which she may be approached. In whatever name and form you worship him, through them you will realize God."
- Sri Ramakrishna [edited]

StrangeLoop wrote:
The nature of the universe is to build up aggregates of conscious matter. Esse est percipi, to be is to be perceived, without observers the universe is just formless vibrations of energy. The all seeing eye is a human symbol we use to represent the idea that the universe itself has a consciousness and intelligence...God if you will. I think DMT opens you up to the absolute reality of pure consciousness and your rational brain is trying to figure out what it's experiencing by throwing up these archetypes.

3rdI
#9 Posted : 9/30/2015 4:50:57 PM

veni, vidi, spici

i believe psychedelics make excellent party drugs, i went to a party on sat night and took acid and mushrooms and had a lovely time, i didnt beat anybody to death, i think its to do with this dude being an idiot/nutcase.

this is the fault of the person not the drug.
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

Nathanial.Dread
#10 Posted : 9/30/2015 6:21:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Godzy wrote:
seems to me like he just put the blame on the shrooms to get off easy... 75 months for beating a man to death??? i hate it when uneducated people take psychedelics...

shrooms makes me love everything around me, I wouldn't hurt a bug

The 5-HT system is known to mediate aggression and violent behavior, so it's not impossible to imagine that messing around with a 5-HTr agonist might trigger aggressive behavior.

There are a lot of reports of people becoming violent at very high/blackout doses - it could be that he was just unusually sensitive, or the shrooms were unusually strong, or his 5-HT system was a little bit different than the statistical average.

It doesn't matter how compassionate, loved-up, or kind you are, if I flip the right switches in your brain, I can make you into a violent person. Or a horny one, or a sad one, or anything else. That's the fundamental lesson that drugs teach us. Physical changes in the brain can change your behavior and cognition in strange ways. He may be a fine guy who just got unlucky.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

Godzy
#11 Posted : 9/30/2015 8:45:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nathanial.Dread wrote:
[quote=Godzy]It doesn't matter how compassionate, loved-up, or kind you are, if I flip the right switches in your brain, I can make you into a violent person. Or a horny one, or a sad one, or anything else. That's the fundamental lesson that drugs teach us. Physical changes in the brain can change your behavior and cognition in strange ways. He may be a fine guy who just got unlucky.

Violent enough to beat a man to death with my hands? I don't think so... What you're saying is true, but I doubt shrooms alone could do that... there was obviously something wrong before he took the substance. A fine guy who got unlucky or a psychopath who released his inner demons and then tried to blame it on the substance? this guy is a football player, the amount he would have to take for a heroic dose im guessing would probably be more than average... assuming, not 100% factual. There are a lot of different possibilities, but for some reason I doubt this man was completely innocent, took shrooms ??? and then proceeded to beat a man to death. THEN when all this is done, this "fine" man who might've done all the research he could into this substance that he chose to put into his body, goes and blames his actions on the substance.... nonono.

spinCycle
#12 Posted : 9/30/2015 10:22:52 PM

Life is Art is Life

These substances don't make you into something you're not,but they do bring forward what's already inside pretty much by definition. I expect this guy would eventually have done this whether tripping drunk or sober.
Images of broken light,
Which dance before me like a million eyes,
They call me on and on...

Nathanial.Dread
#13 Posted : 10/1/2015 3:59:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Godzy wrote:
Nathanial.Dread wrote:
[quote=Godzy]It doesn't matter how compassionate, loved-up, or kind you are, if I flip the right switches in your brain, I can make you into a violent person. Or a horny one, or a sad one, or anything else. That's the fundamental lesson that drugs teach us. Physical changes in the brain can change your behavior and cognition in strange ways. He may be a fine guy who just got unlucky.

Violent enough to beat a man to death with my hands? I don't think so... What you're saying is true, but I doubt shrooms alone could do that... there was obviously something wrong before he took the substance...

I'm not sure. I've seen some otherwise healthy people behave in deeply bizarre and, in one memorable case, violent ways on LSD. In all cases, they seemed like fine, mentally healthy people (otherwise I wouldn't have hung around them while they were tripping). We know there are drugs that can make ordinary people horny, panicked, loved-up, and dissociated, why is it so hard to believe that drugs couldn't make people angry as well? In a severely psychotic state, aggressive impulses could easily cause serious injury or death, especially if the victim was frail.

It's certainly not a COMMON phenomena, but I think it's unfair to assume that this guy was some kind of terrible person to begin with. He may have just had the wrong brain and taken the wrong drugs.

I think it says odd things about this community that we'd rather believe another human being is a monster then that the drugs messed with his head.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

skoobysnax
#14 Posted : 10/1/2015 4:38:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Nathanial.Dread wrote:
Godzy wrote:
Nathanial.Dread wrote:

Violent enough to beat a man to death with my hands? I don't think so... What you're saying is true, but I doubt shrooms alone could do that... there was obviously something wrong before he took the substance...

I'm not sure. I've seen some otherwise healthy people behave in deeply bizarre and, in one memorable case, violent ways on LSD. In all cases, they seemed like fine, mentally healthy people (otherwise I wouldn't have hung around them while they were tripping). We know there are drugs that can make ordinary people horny, panicked, loved-up, and dissociated, why is it so hard to believe that drugs couldn't make people angry as well? In a severely psychotic state, aggressive impulses could easily cause serious injury or death, especially if the victim was frail.

It's certainly not a COMMON phenomena, but I think it's unfair to assume that this guy was some kind of terrible person to begin with. He may have just had the wrong brain and taken the wrong drugs.

I think it says odd things about this community that we'd rather believe another human being is a monster then that the drugs messed with his head.

Blessings
~ND

Yes. Me + shrooms + alcohol = freak out Makes me wonder if he was mixing.
Also how much did he take and why was he fighting this guy in the first place? Does he also take steroids? There could be many chemical factors un-named.
Marijuana, LSD, psilocybin, and DMT they all changed the way I see
But love's the only thing that ever saved my life - Sturgill Simpson "Turtles all the Way Down"

Why am I here?

Godzy
#15 Posted : 10/1/2015 5:43:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Nathanial.Dread wrote:

Blessings
~ND

you're making it seem like the drugs have a negativity to them when it all has to do with the person taking them... I think it says odd things about you that you'd rather blame a substance for turning an innocent human being into a monster than that person turning the substance into a negative thing

Koornut
#16 Posted : 10/1/2015 6:48:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Godzy wrote:
Nathanial.Dread wrote:

Blessings
~ND

you're making it seem like the drugs have a negativity to them when it all has to do with the person taking them... I think it says odd things about you that you'd rather blame a substance for turning an innocent human being into a monster than that person turning the substance into a negative thing

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that's called compassion.
Inconsistency is in my nature.
The simple PHYLLODE tek

I'm just waiting for these bloody plants to grow

darklordsson
#17 Posted : 10/1/2015 7:08:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sphorange wrote:
Godzy wrote:
Nathanial.Dread wrote:

Blessings
~ND

Exactly how is any related to compassion I'm confused maybe I didn't read it right but please elaborate on this Sphorange

3rdI
#18 Posted : 10/1/2015 8:45:31 AM

veni, vidi, spici

having thought about what Nathanial.Dread said i think it could be both that are to blame, and deciding one way or the other on a news report is silly, we have all seen how poorly things are reported in the press.

He may have had a genetic predisposition to violence that could only occur when in a specific mental condition, a mental condition that can only be brought about by the head space that psychedelics produce, if that was the case then if he never took psychedelics it would never have been triggered.

We all like to love psychedelics and think they're wonderful, but people do freak out, just because you would never do something in a psychedelic state doesnt really mean anything, and certainly doesnt mean no one would do it. I can certainly imagine someone being wrapped up in absolute terror and doing crazy things.
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

Biawak
#19 Posted : 10/1/2015 12:11:45 PM
DMT-Nexus member

He'd fit right in at an Aztec magic mushroom party.
"The cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation." - Terence McKenna

Koornut
#20 Posted : 10/1/2015 11:35:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

darklordsson wrote:
Sphorange wrote:
Godzy wrote:
Nathanial.Dread wrote:

Blessings
~ND

Exactly how is any related to compassion I'm confused maybe I didn't read it right but please elaborate on this Sphorange

Gladly Smile

ND comes from a place of knowledge and wisdom regarding this particular situation; Where chemical and human are incompatible resulting in death. But the conclusion he draws is not an immediate defence of the either/or, placing blame etc.
It is compassionate to understand that no party is at fault here. Sure, punish within the bounds of law when necessary and it is obviously necessary in this case.
But if we are going to move towards a post-prohibition world these are the conversations we need to start having now.
There's 7 billion stories being told now, things like this are inevitable.

It's troubling to me, how quick to blindly defend a class of chemicals some people can be. This is especially true with cannabis, less so with psychedelics.
If the end result is non-prohibition but the foundation was laid down with biased science and dogmatic us/them institutions, does it really matter?
We all know this world will be beautiful, a civil blank canvas to recreate society etc etc. Maybe I'm just a perfectionist.

I don't know I'm getting well sidetracked here, 48hrs deep into abstinence from nicotine. Neutral

Inconsistency is in my nature.
The simple PHYLLODE tek

I'm just waiting for these bloody plants to grow

12NEXT