We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Some thoughts on the ecological significance of lignicolous Psilocybe mushrooms. Options

downwardsfromzero
#1 Posted : 9/27/2015 11:36:57 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

It has often been commented that lignicolous (wood-loving) Psilocybe mushrooms seem to rely on human activities to provide them with their substrate. However, there are other species which may also contribute to providing suitable conditions for these fungi to thrive. Creatures which produce significant amounts of wood chippings in a riparian habitat? Beavers, of course!

Now, I've not looked into this any further yet but it's surely not beyond the bounds of probability. There are no beaver populations within easy reach of where I currently live. I may yet be able to travel to a forest where they do live and if it's the right time of year I'll be sure to be making a mycological survey!

Does anyone else have any thoughts/further information on this idea? That beavers may have played a role in they existence of wood chip Psilocybes?

0v dfz

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

null24
#2 Posted : 9/28/2015 3:05:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Pretty sure someone here in the beaver state has looked into that. Beaver don't really spread a ton of wood chips around in creating their dams and dens. From what i understand, most saprotrophic (there seems to be as many terms as people talking about it sometimes... I've never heard lignico...wtvr.) mushroom spp were brought here from Europe in cultivated plant bedding or something and they spread.

A forest dwelling cyan is very rare, but does happen. I remember a find last year was documented on a fallen alder in the woods. Baeocystis and pelliculosa occur in the wild, with the latter more common in clear cuts. Who knows though?
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

jamie
#3 Posted : 9/28/2015 4:35:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

The original habitat of psilocybe cyans is as far as I know, thought to be douglas fir cones, actually...NOT hardwoods like alder. I also have been told, in person by another member here who I trust that forest found cyans growing from a single fir cone(which is rare yes) were the most potent yet.

I dunno if that is relevant here but just throwing that out there cus it is interesting.

I know a fir cone cyan grow is on my to do list.

The most common psilocybin actives I know of found in virgin rainforest of this region(PNW) are of the gymnopilus species, and they don't require any human activity to do they're thing.
Long live the unwoke.

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 9/28/2015 11:57:03 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Cool, thanks for the replies - and thanks for reminding me of the fir cone thing...

The other thing I was pondering was wood ant nests (they're big piles of twigs where I live, at least), although I suspect there are other species of fungi which have already got that niche cornered.

I'll just keep on rummaging around in the woods anyhow! With a bit of luck there'll be some kind of nice photo's to show - eventually.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli